5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2016 11:55 AM by hassmh RSS

Booking 2 rooms, 1 points and 1 paid

hassmh Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We are working on a trip to Orlando in August (not the best time, I know, but we are limited to kids' summer vacation for numerous reasons). We have 3 young children, including our now 3 month-old who will be 9 months when we go, and we have a friend who is coming along to help with the kids as well. Primary reason for the trip: 75,000 points won in the contest last year What You’ve Seen in 2015 Winners – Celebrating Family . These points, combined with points earned from the trips in the story, put us over the top to say we need to go somewhere and do something. With United miles, we can fly nearly free, so we are OK spending a little bit on top of our points to have a great experience. While the MVC properties would be nice and spacious and a villa for 6 could be booked entirely on points, there's nothing good in the limited dates we have to choose from. So we're looking at 2 rooms at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes resort, one on points and one paid. Trying to book this online I can't figure out. I know I can call and a helpful Marriott Rewards associate will try their very best to help, but wanted to first put our questions out the the collective experience out there in case there are any helpful tricks to get what we want:

1. Is it possible to book two reservations, one on points and one paid, and get the rooms adjoining?

1. a. If 1 is yes, how best to ensure one room is king and the other 2 queens?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes
  • Re: Booking 2 rooms, 1 points and 1 paid
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

All totally possible, I've done the same many times with my kids at many hotels all over Europe and in the USA, but best done by phoning up to be sure

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Thanks for the assurances, did not think I'd be the only one trying to do complex bookings, just wish it were possible online. I personally trust online bookings to meet expectations more than I trust a person on the phone to enter the information correctly, but in this case it's not possible to have the machine do it for me.

Is it more practical to phone the hotel directly, or does the Rewards line manage this type of booking as well?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

IF you phone the hotel they'll only put you through to central reservations so better to phone up the reward line to book it and explain clearly that you need connecting rooms, they'll add it to comments. Then a couple of days before the stay call up the hotel to discuss it.

jkc Silver

Hi Hassmh,  I am just wondering if you have thought about  booking something at someplace like a Residence Inn.  You can usually get two bedrooms, plus the living room and kitchen, which makes it great for families.  I live in Orlando (but travel a lot) and have lived through kids, all the theme parks, crowds of summer and the heat and humidity here.  I love Residence Inn with kids because it gives somewhat of a home atmosphere, which doesn't disrupt them (and you)  as much.  In addition, you can actually cook a few more nutritious meals and eat in a more peaceful atmosphere which keeps every one calmer, rather than constantly eating out and having to deal with less healthy foods and more waiting in lines with hungry, tired kids. You'll save a few bucks that way too.    Also, if you are going to Disney, do yourself and your kids a favor by saving some time to spend at the hotel pool or exploring Orlando's other fun adventures.  Most kids (10 and under) are excited about seeing the characters more than the experience of the park, best way to do that is going to a Character Breakfast or dinner.  Great way to see the characters, fit in a decent meal and no lines.  Kids are happy and you didn't have to spend the whole day in a hot park, waiting hours to see a character that everyone else is looking for too.  I've lived here for years and after seeing many friends and family experience the stress of "trying" to have fun, this has become my standard recommendation and nearly everyone agrees it has worked better.   Have fun whatever you decide.  Remember you are on vacation!!

hassmh Gold

jkc, thank you for the recommendation, and yes a Residence Inn would ordinarily be a great option for our family, however we wanted more of a "resort" vacation, and the JW with its lazy river and pools and great reviews is too nice to pass up.

We are planning to spend only 2 days, maybe 3, at Disney; as you said the characters are the attraction more so than the rides and park for our younger children. We will be making the short trip out to KSC one day, and just hang around the resort, maybe see some other things in the area for a couple days. We still have a few months to plan everything out, but wanted to secure accommodations while points rooms were available as they could run out quickly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...