54 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2016 10:55 AM by phctourist RSS

What do you LOVE about travel?

KatieC Member
Currently Being Moderated

225535_1956564867864_4095563_n.jpg

Newlywed Colemans in Santorini

Love is in the air with Valentine’s Day coming up this weekend, so I thought it would be fun to get a thread going on the things we really LOVE about travel.

For me, it’s meeting new people, seeing new places and experiencing local culture, whether that means something sophisticated or down to earth. I LOVE learning about how people live around the world. I also LOVE a break from my normal life, responsibilities and food. Oh yes, the food! I LOVE trying new foods on my travels, and so many of the best memories I have from my travels are about food. This incredible octopus in ouzo sauce we had on our honeymoon in Santorini comes to mind. I’ll never forget it! There are many, many others.

So, how about you Insiders? What do you LOVE most about travel?  And, here’s a romantic shot of me and the hubs just to get you in the spirit, but this doesn’t have to be about romance travel.

Share your travel LOVES here, and pics are always welcome!

Not an Insider yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to post

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Half Moon Bay, California, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Monterey, CA, USA
San Francisco, CA, USA
  • Re: What do you LOVE about travel?
    j&c Platinum

Tiny, unexpected moments of joy that happen every day, anyway, but are somehow magically elevated by traveling with the love of my life. C

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

I LOVE this.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I LOVE to travel when it is for leisure/pleasure with my much better half....

I LIKE to travel when it is for business and I can rack-up some Marriott points to save for when I retire so that my much better half and I can travel more and see different parts of the US and beyond..... Working long days while traveling on business is not fun, but I look on the bright side of what the Marriott and Frequent Airline miles can do to supplement or pay for our vacation....

Great Photo!!  I wish you both many many great years together!!!

KatieC Member

Thank you! We're coming up on our fifth wedding anniversary and the time has gone by so quickly.

Where have you traveled with your "better half"?

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Aruba (twice), Hawaii (twice), St.Thomas (twice), Arizona, Denver, Florida, DC, NYC (too many times to count), Toronto,Niagara  Falls, quite a few other states with a trip next month to Scrub Island.... Ireland is on our list, perhaps next year!

Early congratulations on your 5th anniversary!!!!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

What's not to love about travel? It's been a part of my life since before I even have memories of traveling (my family moved to Austraila from California before my 2nd birthday). Crossed the equator and the international date line a dozen times before turning 10.

Now I'm working on getting to every county in the US. More than halfway done (blue being the ones that are complete).

counties 2016.png

Half a million MR points and climbing. I plan to burn some in Hawaii (Feb/Mar 2017?). This time of year I especially love going someplace warm. Can't wait to hit Aruba in a few weeks.

What else? Food, local craft beer, meeting Insiders (Houston, here I come).

Travel has always been a part of my life. Even when I couldn't afford to go to faraway places, I still tried to travel. I didn't do it as much and had to find a way to fit it into my budget. For me, life without travel wouldn't be normal.

jonsummers Gold

How did you generate this really cool map??? I want one!

drlandrum Silver

I think Aruba is a wonderful destination!   One of my favorites.   

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

agree with you one happy island

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I love to travel, be it to visit family and friends, explore new destinations and cultures, or just a short weekend away in a nearby destination.  The minute I lock the front door and am on my way, my mood is better.  I've done 5 cross country road trips and each time there is something new to see, to experience.  It's also great education for my 11 year old son.  He can learn more on one trip than he could in a classroom. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

When my kids were grown and off my budget, and I finally had enough vacation to be able to travel, my life changed dramatically.

We love seeing new places and returning to places that we love.  We get to attend family functions that were just not doable when we were less able to travel.   In the past 25 years we have been to eight countries in Europe, Israel and Canada (from Vancouver to the Gaspe).  We've been to quite a few new (and old) destinations in the USA including New Orleans, NYC, Charleston, Savannah, Alaska, Nashville, Memphis, California, New England, and more.  We've eaten local foods, enjoyed talking to local people, and seeing the sights, both nature made and man made.

We enjoy the mountains, beaches, and most of all, exploring, on foot, new cities.  We often walk 5 miles, or more, in a day.

Our next planned trip is to San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, and Monterey.  It will be to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and (hopefully) my recovery from lymphoma.  We were last in that area in 1970.  We had a wonderful, but too short stay in Monterey and we had a poor time in San Francisco, where we were recovering from dysentery, which we had contracted from the water supply in Squaw Valley.  This should be better!

Location Brand Hotel
    Half Moon Bay, California, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
    Monterey, CA, USA
    San Francisco, CA, USA
      jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

if you drive from Half moon bay down thru Santa Cruz during summer( I did it end of July) there  are farms right down to the water that sell great strawberries and fresh snap peas

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great topic KatieC and yes Santorini is a place we will be looking at for our next European journey whenever that is.

What I love about traveling is:

• Seeing the excitement on the face of my Wife when I say silly things like "honey we leave for the Oregon Coast in a week" or where ever we are headed
    • Visiting new places and finding our way around without any help to small local joints for drinks/dinner/views
    • Returning to our favorite go to spots and seeing old friends who work at the hotel or our special little spots we visit
    • Getting out amongst them regardless of where we are
    • Trying new and different foods recommended by the locals
    • Just making a "date night or weekend" across town
    • And love coming back home to our little casa in Texas

KatieC Member

YES!

• Returning to our favorite go to spots and seeing old friends who work at the hotel or our special little spots we visit

We stayed in Santorini for our entire honeymoon. No island hopping. We had a quite a few regular spots and Lucky's was our late-night snack/beer spot. Highly recommend it if you go there. The owner, Lucky, is quite a character...and he makes his own raki. I hope to see him again one day!

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

I love...LIVE...to travel.  I love waking up on a different soil, the sun shining in my face and warm breezes.  I love waking up to city life, buses hissing, people talking and balmy trade winds I love travel, it's ingrained in the fabric of my being!  Last year was a rough one...no trips.  NO TRIPS!  Daughters (x2)  weddings instead.

I love to cruise but my all time favorite trip was our Hawaiian vacation the week of Valentine's Day three years ago.  We stayed at the Marriott Waikiki Resort and Spa.  Nice upgrade at check-in.  Our son was at the  YWAM (Youth with a Mission) base in Honolulu and spent almost 3 months in Nepal for his mission trip as part of YWAM.  We surprised him and flew in the day before he landed.  We took a taxi up to the base and met his trip leader who told him he had mail.  Mike and I were huddled behind some palms along with a few girls from the base.   He came around the corner and we jumped out...let me just say there were massive hugs and tears.  Mine, son's, hubbies and the girls around us!  After his debriefing the next day, he also stayed at our room and showed us his favorite places.  We took in a Luau (Paradise Cove) went to Disney Aulani for lunch, (loved the Ko Olina area) and my hubby and I took a dinner cruise on Valentine's Day.

We rented a Mustang convertible and cruised around Oahu to the North Shore and all over.  It was an amazing vacation and while I'm traveled quite a bit, this was the best.hawaii.jpg

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sure a few happy faces and a wonderful story trippin'.  See why we've missed you?

Aw...thanks!!  I've missed you all too.  MY news year resolution was to keep in better contact with friends, including you and everyone here.  I tend to get caught up in work, etc. and the next thing I know I haven't talked to or seen people for a year!!

KatieC Member

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing trippin'! What did he think of Nepal?

He loved Nepal and the Nepalese people.  Of course it was a very affordable place to be and he thought that was amazing.  (He was 19 at the time)  He couldn't get over that a Chai tea was ten cents.  They stayed in peoples homes and he met some amazing people. 

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I think I like novelty more than anything. I like to just see new places and things. When we take trips now we tend to keep on the move and only stay a few nights in any one place.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Having a room all to myself with the noise of my household far far way - !!!!!!!

When your kids are gone, on their own,  you will miss the noise!  Unless they choose not to move out, as has become somewhat common, these days.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

misterchk, you and me both.  Nothing like a nice JW or upscale hotel room ALL TO MYSELF!  I travel a lot with Spouse and kids as well, or with Spouse, or with Kids, or with one or more of my siblings, etc.  But I truly love a nice hotel room all to myself when traveling solo as I typically am for work.  Essex House is my favorite solo trip work destination hotel. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert             I hope your next visit to the Essex won't find you in the room with the missing shoe horn!  If so please accept my apologies for stealing it.

WHATTT???? You aren't supposed to take those?  I've been doing it wrong all these years.  I owe various RC's an apology!

seatexan Platinum

I love this history of places.  I always visit historical sites or museums on my travels, even the little local ones!  For me, knowledge through experience is wonderful. 

I also really enjoy trying new places to eat.  Nothing brings people together like a meal.

KatieC Member

YES! Food is an important part of travel.

Food is one of the most important aspects of travel.  Local food shows so much about the culture of the place that one visits.

jonsummers Gold

MOST IMPORTANT!  Next comes smells and then sites.

@KatieC, tell us about RC Half-Moon Bay.  I drove near/by that property, and it looked amazing.

KatieC Member

I think it is phctourist who is heading to Half-Moon Bay on an upcoming trip. I haven't been there!

KatieC is correct.  We are hoping to go in late spring.  The place sounds fantastic and it will be our 50th anniversary, along with a, hopeful, celebration of a recovery from cancer.

What I know is that one friend loved it and I have read a great deal of travel material.  It reportedly is a very luxurious hotel, with fabulous food and service, in a very scenic location. 

I shall report on the trip upon our return!

phctourist, yes please do report back.  I can't think of a better place to celebrate your recovery and 50th anniversary!  Kudos to you for both milestones.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I LOVE trying new foods the most! Even if I've gotten sick from some local foods, I'm still up for trying more dishes while I'm at that location just because you rarely get that authenticity anywhere else. I used to work at a restaurant where one of the chefs was from Costa Rica and he made a chicken and rice dish for everyone after our shift had ended and it tasted EXACTLY like many of the meals I had while in Costa Rica.  I thanked him so much because it honestly brought me back in time, and had been over 10 years since I'd had it, but my taste buds remembered those flavors right away, it was wild!

I definitely LOVE all of the scenery as well, including the beautiful, unique, and historical landmarks. The Arch of Cabo San Lucas is one that sticks out in my mind most. It was so beautiful from the drive to the hotel and from the view in our room at the hotel, but the boat ride to the island where they're located was the best because I knew once we got there it was a sight to remember. There are many landmarks around the world where I have yet to visit, but that is something I look forward to when booking future vacations  caborocks.jpg

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Love reading all of the posts on this thread!   I caught the travel bug as a little girl, I always wanted to be exploring someplace new.  What I love most about travel is the experiences we take with us, the memories. Traveling always allows us to step outside of our day to day box, even if it is traveling for work.  There is always a new restaurant to try, a different hotel to stay in and a new face to meet.

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

For me, it's food! I love traveling to new places and trying the local dishes. Whenever I am planning a trip, I always think about what kinds of foods they will have to offer.

Wanderer917 Silver

I love to visit historic sites , great restaurants and try something we have never done before. in each trip we visit the restaurants they are known for, and little ones off the beaten path.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Personally, I love that travel offers me a chance at a brief getaway from the routine. Whether I'm visiting a brand new destination or my yearly summer vacation spot (see below), there's nothing more refreshing than shutting down the technology and taking in sights that deviate from the norm. And yes, I see the irony in that this picture was taken with my cell phone, but I can assure you all that it was on airplane mode.

Eastham AS.jpg

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

LOVE this post.

I love stepping out of my day to day and getting to know how locals live theirs. I love discovering local's favorite places to eat and hang out, their favorite music, movies, art, etc. I also love fashion and really like checking out local style. Shopping overseas is a ton of fun, and all the coolest clothes and jewelry in my closet are all items I picked up when traveling!

KatieC Member

Fashion is a good one, @lindseyh! I still have a few articles of clothing from my time in Australia. Do you have anything particular that you love?     

JGentry Platinum

I have always enjoyed visiting, and spending time with different cultures around the world.

jonsummers Gold

Where did you stay in Santorini?  KatieC

KatieC Member

A little place, I can't remember the name. The entire island was so adorable!

specialist Gold

traveling is fun, seeing and having a conversation with someone I would have never met otherwise is the most interesting part of travel. People watching and meditating on the diversity of our world, the beauty within each one that passes by. And getting home to love and family.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Based on how much I've done in the past 6 or so years what I love most is the time at home between trips!

KatieC Member

Yes! Travel makes us appreciate the little things in our everyday lives!

jjett30169 Member

Getting out of the everyday routine of work.

sahil1989 Silver

Get to see new places, experience new people, enjoy new food....lovely

GoldenBoy Platinum

TO TRAVEL IS TO LIVE.  New people, new customs, new adventures, new food. Especially the food.  When I was in Sydney I ate kangaroo, in New Orleans I ate alligator, in India I tried Wasabi water buffalo!   When I go to Cape Town I'll have zebra & wildebeest, and in Peru I plan on trying alpaca! 

jt15550 Platinum

Let's see if this displays...

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/1e62967ac2c959ac9ad4c16275d0fc28a1424fec86a9b6a919a3d7bf9b1c1207_large

jonsummers Gold

Travels are awesome!  Just make sure that when you book a package that you actually get that package honored.  I had problems with the JW Marriott in Cancun.

Recently I was on a travel weekly TA webinar and WON a cruise on a new and amazing cruise line - French America Line.  They are cruising down AMERICA's rivers.  Posh too.  Very excited.  On a down note- now hubby wants to cancel the cruise we had booked. 

I love seeing new places and meeting some of the locals.  I love seeing spectacular scenery as well as eating wonderful local food.  I also enjoy meeting other travelers from other parts of the world.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...