53 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 11:20 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Customer Service Top 10 Phrases

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-weight:bold;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 79.9pt .25in 71.3pt; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;}

About a year ago, I stayed a few nights at the FFI near Eglin AFB, FL.  The property itself was pretty much what you'd expect, but the attitude of the staff was phenomenal.  The following letter was in my room upon arrival, and from the GM to Front Desk to Housekeeping to Breakfast Attendant, they all lived up to their word.  This ought to be adopted by Marriott as the company standard, and enforced.  The letter is as follows:

Welcome to the World Famous Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach-Eglin AFB!

Since Valentine's Day is right around the corner, we thought it would be the perfect time to remind you of how important you are to us. Today, we are spreading the love to friends, family, and coworkers.

These 10 phrases are an illuminating reminder of how uncomplicated it is to make you, our guest, feel loved. People don't care how much you know, (or what you sell, or what type of service you provide) until they know how much you care!

The 10 most important words: "I apologize for our mistake. Let me make it right."

The 9 most important words: "Thank you for your business. Please come back again."

The 8 most important words: "I'm not sure, but I will find out."

The 7 most important words: "What else can I do for you?"

The 6 most important words: "What is most convenient for you?"

The 5 most important words: "How may I serve you?"

The 4 most important words: "How did we do?"

The 3 most important words: "Glad you're here!"

The 2 most important words: "Thank you."

The MOST important word: "Yes."

We hope you enjoy your stay with us!

The Management & Staff

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach-Eglin AFB

• Re: Customer Service Top 10 Phrases
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Excellent!  Words to live by

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Nicely done, NUHusker

The top 10 phrases clearly illustrate Marriott's Spirit to Serve philosophy.  Thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I agree, TJC...Spirit to Serve...  These people get it!! I'll bet there are many other properties out there with this same desire to take care of the guest. I only wish I'd come across this sooner so I could spread the word about this great stay.  I actually found it stashed away while doing some early spring cleaning while in the middle of sub-zero temps and huge snow drifts.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Re-energizing this post as it is phenomenal.  This GM has got it right!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pluto:

Finally, a post re-emerging that is timeless! Well done!

Just a short update...I stayed at this FFI again about 3 months ago for a couple of nights and have to say that the same great attitude to take care of guests still existed.  Somebody took this GM's words seriously.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NU,

Yes, thanks for again sharing this with us.  Maybe, I should print this out and give it to the front desk when I check-in!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I think that is an excellent idea, jerry.  Maybe we should frame them, too.

Wouldn't it be great if we found these in every room at check in?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker:

Next time you are in the Eglin area let me know! We're not too far from there on the beach to the southeast. The beer is always on tap and the sunsets are always beautiful from our deck!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

This should be drilled into every Marriott front-desk associate!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree.  I am at the Marriott Copenhagan and they don't seem to know what platinum is.  No upgrade, no welcome, no gift but I did get lounge access.  I will be talking to a manager today.

I just spoke to a manager and she apologized.  She seemed sincere and said that she would make sure that they didn't slip again.  I will be getting my 500 pts that I sually take for my plat gift and $100 for the mistake.  Somehow that really makes it OK.

That's because actions speak louder than words.  (And money talks.)

Yes money talks.  I guess Marriott wanted to make sure that we know that they do care.  The $100 tells me that.  I think that the hotel has to pay that so they were talked with as well.

So you got $100 in cash or credit against your bill?

They wanted to apply it toward my bill but I have no bill since I am on a tour and everything has been prepaid.  So they gave me cash in local currency.  It really does erase the feeling of being slighted when they give us $100.  This is one thing that Marriott does right amongst many others.  It shows they do value their platinum guests.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

My favorite pharse is, "Sorry to hear its been a bad day - What can we do to make things better?"

The Marriott in Sommerset, NJ, now a Courtyard, use to use that phrase all the time.  No matter how bad of a day it had been, the fact that they realized it, and just wanted to put you in a better frame of mind just changed everything.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

GemPrincess,

Are you talking about the hotel at the corner of Easton and Davidson?  That used to be a Marriott then became something else in around 2007-2008, didn't it? (a Crown Plaza maybe?).  The Courtyard is further down Davidson.  Stayed there and the Doubletree for 3 1/2 years!  Probably saw you there!

It is still in the same location the last time I drove by (about 2 years ago), but its now a Courtyard (use to be full service).  It was an older property but the same were so warm and welcoming!  I lived there a couple of years, and then was gone for a couple of years, but would come back periodically, and they always remembered my name, which rooms I liked etc.  Also, every year there would be a large group there for the Jewish holidays, and they would close the restaurant and pool for use by the group.  So for all the platinum member, they would arrange very nice meals in the concierge lounge so that we were not feeling deprived.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/soscy-courtyard-somerset/

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, the link that you gave is the Courtyard that is further down Davidson, past the Doubletree from Easton Ave.  I stayed there for 6 months or so starting in Nov 2004.  Then, went back for 3 1/2 years starting in Oct 2006.  It was always a Courtyard while I was there.  The interior decor changed in 2009 but the outside of the building has always had the 'Courtyard' look... so I don't think it was ever a full service Marriott.

The full service Marriott was down close to the intersection of Easton and Davidson...just down the street from the Courtyard on the same road.  I stayed there only a couple of times.

Or are you saying that a full service Marriott became the Courtyard... and then another full service Marriott opened at Easton and Davidson after that?  I don't think that is the case.

Maybe we're both getting older and memories just aren't the same!  LOL!

Its been a couple of years since I have driven by, but when I did, I remember thinking that the full-service Marriott is now a Courtyard.  The front of the building faces 287.  And its at the exit that use to be exit 12 but was renumbered to 10 while I was staying there.  I would need to drive by again, or maybe I can find an old receipt, as it would have the address on it, and I could confirm from that. 

i think I stayed there a long time ago as well.  That's a congested area at around 5 pm.

p.s. and if frayed nerves were showing in the form of any bad behaviors, this comment was guaranteed to make you feel guilty for any less than optimal behavior!  It was impossible to continue behaving poorly :=)

I like that.  I need to remember that.

That phrase is a great philosophy for life and a great reminder of how one might approach the world in general every single day.  Thanks for sharing it.  It reminds me of a statement I once heard a famous radio talk show personality make:  "We (our thoughts -attitudes, words and deeds) can contribute either beauty to this world, or ugly to this world.  Which will it be?"

When I stay in the same hotel for weeks on end, I also receive the following "Welcome home!"  It's a nice feeling!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Granted, this is an old post, but one of my favorite places is an FI in North Dakota. The property is what you'd expect, but the staff as noted above makes it something I look forward to returns.

I can understand!  Last year i spent about 100 nights in the full scale Marriott in Miami, and basically every employee of that establishment knew who I was, and went out of their way to ensure I was taken care of.  I would not be able to honor one employee for an award, instead the entire hotel staff!

This is the first I have seen you post since Sandy.  I hope that your home is back to normal.

Have been extremely busy with everything in life.  My roof was totally replaced on January 3rd.  Once the ground becomes soft, I will be getting a new fence and shed.  Went to FLA for vacation in December, and came home to find my fridge died on me, so I ended up throwing everything out.  Now my washing machine is broken, having it repaired this Friday.  My travels for work have taken me from Miami to Toronto (hot to cold--brr!!).  Worst of all my dad is now in Hospice, so I get nervous every time the phone rings.  Not much good has come tome in 2013 so far.  Hope all is well with you!  Thanks for your interest!  Oh, some good may come this year. I should hit LIFETIIME Platinum  in the next 3 months---need 50 more nights and 100k more in spend!   didn't mean for this to be so long of a reply. 

No apology necessary.  I did want to know how you were doing.  You should be ready for some good luck soon.  Keep us informed on what is happening. 

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

lone6star-

I don't know you but I'm glad you wrote a longer reply.  I'm a relatively new MRI member and just wanted to send some encouragement your way.  I can relate to your comment about getting nervous when the phone rings.  Hang in there and know that great people like californian and others are thinking of you.  I've got family that are still affected by the aftermath of Sandy so hopefully that ordeal will be over with soon for everyone.   And personally I'm hoping that your rough patch in early 2013 eases into some peace and as always I wish you and everyone safe travels wherever you may wander.

-Sledchick

Sledchick

I am so glad that you have joined this group.  Those were really nice words for lone6star

Thanks, californian!  This is a great community of travelers.

Welcome aboard, and thanks very much for your kind words.  My father is hanging on, but his timeframe is very short.

Thinking of you and sending positive strength your way.  Hang in there.

Thanks, but my dad passed away yesterday in a hospice. 

I offer you my condolences.  I found that after my dad passed over a period of time, I started to remember him as a younger man when he enjoyed life.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

lone6star,

My deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss.  Many of us here are in, or close to, the baby boomers, and have either had to go through this or are facing it soon.  We know how hard it is, and we can only offer our sympathies and the knowledge that time heals the pain.  Hang it there and enjoy every day you have here, so that our parents can rest, knowing we keep their memories with us.

I wish you whatever soothes your spirit, comforts your soul and brings you peace at this difficult time.  You're in my thoughts, as well as other MRI members.  My sympathies to you and your family.

Thanks for your kind words and thoughtfulness!

Deepest sympathies for your loss!

You are due for only good things now!

all the bad should be in the rear view mirror.

Its like the opening scene of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead with the 2 courtiers from Hamlet flipping a coin with 92 flips having the same outcome which is impossible so you know its either supernatural forces or otherworldiness.

Before I moved to NJ, I was in the Sommerset Marriott for the better part of 2 years. Everyone at the property treated me like family, even years later when I would return for a brief stay.  I know what you mean about singling anyone out.

Same thing has happened at the FFI in NYC. The entire staff has been so wonderful its hard to pick just one person.

lone6star

It is good to have you back in our discussions!

Hopefully we can be a welcome distraction from reality!