14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 7:32 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Vacation Ownership & Travel Package Rewards Needs A Home

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In response to an Insiders' plea,* this is to rally those who are MVCI owners or thinking about becoming one.  As the title suggests, 'Vacation Ownership & Travel Package Rewards' needs a home.

These topics are among many that are meaningful to Marriott Vacation Club owners.  They do not easily fit into any other Forum on Insiders.  Posts on these topics are difficult to browse and search for. We need a new forum for Vacation Ownership & Travel Package Rewards.

Do you agree or disagree?

* Re: Why stay????

-- Edited by TJCNewYork at 01/07/2010 8:07 AM EST Added statements to clarify intent of the post.

-- Edited by TJCNewYork at 02/02/2010 2:32 PM EST correct URL

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Vacation Ownership & Travel Package Rewards Needs A Home
    superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

I totally support your suggestion. It is obvious that several frequent forum insider contributors also own at MVC resorts. Currently, there is no appropriate forum to post or seek information regarding the timeshare resorts or vacation packages.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Thanks Superchief,

Under Usage Options, the regional vacation clubs such as the 'Florida Club' and the 'Asia Pacific Club' would be here, too.  Since what I know about these can fit on a pinhead, informed discussion would is welcome.

In addtion to Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott International also operates vacation ownership resorts under The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, The Ritz-Carlton Residences and Grand Residences by Marriott brands. Discussion about these topics/brands would also find a home here.

Given the growth of Marriott's timeshare business segment, expanding Marriott Rewards Insiders and creating a focal point where the vacation ownership community can share information, provide feedback and interact with other Insiders on the lodging side of the business can spur interest in vacation ownership and accelerate growth.  

Active participation from owners and the Insiders community in this discussion is welcome.

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC, Travel Package Awards, in my opinion, no longer have any value to an MVCI owner. Which today is just like any other Marriott Rewards award, useless! Perhaps I should clarify that....The awards are probably good for people who collect points whilst working as very brave 'Road Warriors' However for those like myself who entered the Marriott timeshare program because the Reward points awards were very good, and now find that the award for each week of traded timeshare has never in 26years been increased for inflation. This means all the awards work out very expensive. So for me I now never trade for them. This means that I am very disappointed with my Marriott timeshare. Even some of the timeshare resorts are not so good these days - Is that because people are not paying their maintenance, and MVCI as a club will shortly be going down the plug hole. Not to be always critical though, the one thing that is constantly good about  Marriott is their associates. I have just been helped by a lovely lady in MVCI Orlando - I won't name her here - but the work she has done in pulling together my four week vacation in Florida and USVI against all the odds is truly tremendous. To answer your question though...YES Insiders does need an MVCI forum.  While writing I wonder if you, or other members, have any idea where I can get some MVCI statistics? I would like to know how many owners traded their timeshare for Reward points, and how many weeks in total were traded (Two sets of figures) in the years 2007,2008,2009, 2010. I anticipate seeing declining figures - but I might be wrong!!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Ia agree, a MVCI needs a home. Let's hope they sort it. I guess everybody has their thoughts about MR and MVCI. I joined up because the accommodation was a cut above the rest so let's all work to ensure it stays that way at home resorts. My 'beef' with MVCI is the international owners fee or rip off as I call it. If you don't live in the USA, you pay a fee as part of MVCI maintenance charge. I asked MVCI to explain what it covered. Every single item listed was not something which I or many owners in the UK would require. I am pro baly cheaper to administer than folk in the USA! I will notrest until I get it stamped out - it merely alienates those whom MVCI ought to be encouraging!

mikeb2620 Platinum

Timeshare Users Group.  www.tug2.net  There is a Marriott specific forum.

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

The % of owners that stay at their home resort vs exchange vs trade for points varies from resort to resort.  At Hilton Head for example, owner occupancy year after year is extremely high and reaches 90% at some resorts per the GM.  In Orlando, owner occupancy is at the opposite end, less than 10% in some cases. 

At the Custom House seminar, the presenter stated that Custom House trades EY (every year) for 125,000 points and went to great lengths to illustrate typical Custom House owner usage of those points for 5-night and 7-night travel packages.  The average MVCI owner has 4 weeks of timeshare.  If all 4 weeks were at Custom House and traded for points, that would be 500,000 points for about $4,000 in Maintenance Fees.  A travel package including air for 2 for 10 days at the Grand Flora in Rome or CE in Paris would cost in the tens of thousands.  The presenter showed how using points it was much more cost-effective.

The tables below were among those used by the presenter to show how an MVCI owner can maximize the benefits of points.  Send a private message if the presenter's contact information is of any interest.

5-NIGHT TRAVEL PACKAGES for Marriott Vacation Club Owners

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-assets/d491fa4dc38644bb8a5419593c20f26e

7-NIGHT TRAVEL PACKAGES for Marriott Vacation Club Owners

http://www.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/LRA%20Images/LRA_FAQ_TravelPackages.gif

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings MikeB2620

TUGBBS is a good resource for the timeshare owner community which spans many brands beyond Marriott.

A forum for owners at Marriott Rewards Insiders leverages the strength of Marriott's lodging business.  Marriott's brands provide a wide range of accomodations at popular vacation destinations.  Plus, the connection to Marriott's loyalty program, Marriott Rewards is self-evident.

Hosted by Marriott Rewards, Insiders provides a place where MVC owners can co-mingle, interact and share information with Marriott Rewards members for mutual benefit.

With the recognition of MVCI deeded nights as Elite Qualifying Nights for Marriott Rewards Elite status in June 2008; and the integration of MVC properties into Marriott Hotel Category designations, brand integration from a Marriott Rewards and Elite Membership perspective provides common ground for timeshare and lodging.

The expertise Tuggers bring to Insiders about vacation ownership is welcome.  Thanks for posting.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Moonflower

"My 'beef' with MVCI is the international owners fee or rip off as I call it. If you don't live in the USA, you pay a fee as part of MVCI maintenance charge."

Please elaborate about the fees you are referring to.  Btw:  I just found out that the Interval International fee to exchange Marriott to Marriott went from $99 to $109 as of January 1.

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

I see that you also discovered the II internal exchange fee increase from $99 to $109, one year after another $10 increase. I am very disappointed that neither MVC nor Interval communicate that fees will be increasing. Had I known, I would have placed my exchange one week earlier. I cannot find the fee information on the MVC or Interval websites. This is unacceptable. At least Marriott warns members prior to increasing the award point requirements.

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC, U.S. and CANADIAN owners pay less for Interval Exchanges. I believe that my pre-Janauary 1st 2010 rate was $118 . I havn't heard of the new year charges yet. I did raise this with II several years ago, but I never received a satisfactoty reply.

I'm not sure about being charged extra for maintenance. I recall that this was done several years ago, but I am under the impression it has now stopped.

superchief1 Platinum

FYI,

For the second straight year, internal exchange fees through Interval have increased to $109. External exchanges (online) remained at $139. I only learned this by placing an exchange, since I can find the fee information on the MVC or II websites.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"internal exchange fees through Interval have increased to $109"

Yep.  I found this out at the seminar in Boston on Dec 31 2009 at which point it was too late to exchange at the 2009 rate of $99.

lesliepamel Platinum

TJ, "internal exchange fees through Interval have increased to $109"

But did you know that if you ever have to cancel a week of timeshare holiday, your original (HOME) resort goes back into the interval 'bank' and you will lose your $109 unless you are able to claim it back from an insurance company. AND THEN WHEN YOU DECIDE TO TAKE YOUR 'BANKED' WEEK' Interval will charge a non Marriott 2 Marriott fee. That then depends on where you are exchanging to. In the UK exchanges in Europe cost £109 ($177) and exchanges outside of Europe the fee is £139 ($230) Your 're-banked' week only has a life of 1 year and not the normal 3 years. THEN ...if you have to cancel again, tough luck, you've just lost your timeshare week!!   

It appears to me that over the years Marriott and Interval must conspire to make vacations more difficult, unfair, and expensive. No wonder many owners just stay at their home resort,(boring ?) That is a simple non complicated decision. Only the Marriott timeshare sales person said to me " With Marriott I can travel the world." Another company untruth!

Any progress in achieving an MVCI forum?

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...