10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2016 7:08 PM by j512cla RSS

Summer Olympics in Rio

nyr4ever Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'm thinking of going to Rio for thr olympics. Anyone going? Where are you staying? Any idea re: how to get tickets? The CoSports site didn't have any available.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
  • Re: Summer Olympics in Rio
    abobastico Silver

check here:

https://www.rio2016.com/tickets/findoutmore/

Tip: watch out for Zica virus and Chikunguya (repellents would be a good option to bring).

unfortunately I won't be able to go. Traveling to another place

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nyr4ever Platinum

Thanks. I'm traveling with a nurse and we've printed the CDC regs. Zika isn't new. Only the press coverage is new because it now impacts the US.  Nothing short of natural disaster will stop me from going.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Heck, from what Im reading, I think you will be able to get your tickets cheap. I would avoid any events in natural water-sailing etc. That water is supposed to be nasty. I would seek a travel agent or sports agent to get the tickets. I believe that the Brazilian requirement for US Citizens to have a visa is suspended over the Olympics-that will be helpful. Please verify this on your own. I read it on another message board. Marriott has some great properties. We had a trip booked to Rio a few years ago. Had to change plans. If you go, be safe and have fun!

nyr4ever Platinum

Thanks for the heads up re: water sports. We are looking for tour guides now. I was hoping someone knew of a cool guide or great things to do besides the typical tourist stuff

caohnso50 Platinum

I have no knowledge as to the Olympics, but Rio is great!  I just got back from there a couple months ago.  And by the way, I did not get bitten, nor even see a single mosquito.  The Zika talk was everywhere up here, but not a concern down there.  Except for keeping babies covered with netting.  We stayed at the JW Marriott on Copacabana beach.  The hotel itself was a little dated, but the service was extraordinary.  Especially the beach service.  They offer complimentary lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach for guests.  The attendants also hose down the sand and your feet to keep everything cool.  They will even serve you drinks from the local vendors and have them charged to the room.  This hotel also offers a Griffin Lounge with a spectacular view of the beach.  They also have rooftop pool and lounge area.  Worth a trip!

Location Brand Hotel
    Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
    702rugbyref Platinum

Not a chance even on a bad day.

j512cla Gold 4 Reviews

Well we will be attending the Rio Olympics due to purchasing our game tickets since last year.  Only problem we are still having is not having a room in Rio for the week we will be there.  We have been on a waiting list for several months already and have had no luck with a reasonable price per night at any of the Marriott Hotels.  I am in contact with someone that has reached out to me a couple of times but the prices are Outrageous for just a regular Marriott, its not even a JW or a Ritz.  Marriott help us out.  Apparently, we cant even use points that I even saved up for this time and minimum stays have to be 6 days with No Member Rates, Military or even airline crew rates.  If only Mr Bill Marriott would only know how he has a loyal member that refuses to stay at any other chain hotel.  I thought Marriott Inc and (International) cared about their Members.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Really j512cla??

What do you expect when booking a room where a huge event such as the Olympics is taking place?  Try booking a room in Houston during the Super Bowl this coming February and I bet you find the exact same thing happening.  No rooms, or if there are rooms very high priced and certainly no special rates or ability to use points especially less than a month away.  Hotel rooms are similar to airline ticket pricing, few seats/rooms at the lowest rate when those are gone the price increases sometimes quite substantially.

I booked a room in Phoenix this past April during the time of the Phoenix Golf tournament next February some 335 days in advance of the stay and got a really good rate,.  That good rate is now doubled and there are no reward redemption available and this is still some eight months out not less than 30. 

You have to plan far in advance with some contingency in place just in case Marriott continues to show you they do not care "about their Members" as you mentioned.

j512cla Gold 4 Reviews

Actually we travel very well with plans way ahead of the game. We have been to past Olympics and World Cup events  and never once have we had an issue with Marriott. I always say home away from home and Marriott has always given us going above treatment. I have been on a wait list for almost over a year bcause the rooms weren't either unavailable due to construction of new Marriotts being built specific only for the purpose of the Rio Olympics or already blocked for the Olympic Committees.  But they are being priced outrageously which is my concern. You know how we have the Dream Tracker. Well Rio was my choice for the summer Olympics 2016.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I can assure you that any hotel where you can get a room at a reasonable price is not one where you would want to lie on the bed or use the bath room!.  This is probably true, regardless of the chain.  Let's face it, there are only so many rooms around Rio and they were all booked a long time ago.

Try getting a room in Boston when one of the larger Universities has homecoming or graduation.

Try Super Bowl, World Series, etc.  The story is always the same!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...