53 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2016 7:18 PM by tryt53 RSS

Insiders Gathering in Houston - Just the Facts

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There have been a handful of posts related to the Insider Gathering scheduled for September 16-17, 2016 in Houston. Forgive me for adding another. This one may not be as flashy or as interesting as some of the previous ones. It serves simply to provide details without any opinions or embellishment.

What: Meeting of a number of regular contributors to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum.

One does not need to be a long-time member of this community to attend. We made an open announcement on MRI and everyone is welcome to join us.

Where: The JW Marriott Galleria in Houston.

5150 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX 77056.

Don't mistake it for the JW in downtown Houston.

JW Houston Downtown

806 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002

This is a change from the JW Marriott Houston Galleria

Staying at the JW is not necessary. There are other nearby Marriott properties which some may choose to visit.

Please see Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - Hotel Change for Sept 16-17, 2016 Insider Gathering (TIPPLE) for more details/

When: September 16 & 17, 2016

There are no scheduled events, however we intend to meet both Friday and Saturday evening. Some may wish to participate only one of the two nights. Others might want to arrive earlier or leave later. Time and place of each evening's gathering will be announced in the coming months.

This meetup happens to coincide with what is normally the beginning of the Fall MegaBonus. Whether that occurs this year, we don't know yet, but this would be good way to get a jump on earning nights and stays should it begin September 15 like in years past.

We've added a cocktail reception hosted by Marriott on Saturday from 7-9pm

Who: Any Insider who wants to join.

Why: brightlybob is visiting from the U.K. and he and I thought it made a perfect excuse to get a bunch of us together.

Brightlybob is keeping an updated list of people who have indicated they plan to attend (and a second list of folks undecided as to whether or not they will be there). He's only keeping track to give us a general idea of numbers. Being on either list does not commit anyone to attend. It just helps us let the property know what to expect.

Even without extensive planning of events, getting to this point was not easy. Please don't ask us to change the date. Don't suggest alternative cities. Don't ask to add specific activities to the weekend. We're not going to accommodate. That said, if individuals wish to get together outside the parameters of the Insider Meetup, that's great.

At this point, we're not looking beyond this gathering. There are no plans to do something like this again. That doesn't mean such plans will not be made, it just means we're not thinking about it now. So please don't go suggesting places where we could do this in the future (at least not yet). Let's focus on making this one successful.

As seasoned Marriott travelers, I'm sure many of you have already begun making plans for the trip. I know I have. I look forward to seeing you there.

Brian (aka bejacob)

Message was edited by: bejacob

Message was edited by: bejacob to note the change in venue

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
Tipple
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston Downtown
  • Re: Insiders Gathering - Just the Facts
    Platinum 28 Reviews

"Seasoned" - is that a nice way of saying I'm old and senile?  Does that mean I am being accused  of being forgetful?

That isn't nice bejacob. You should have respect for your elders.

By the way, I don't recall knowing about this meeting.  I'll check my calendar and see if I can attend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Insiders Gathering in Houston - Just the Facts
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You best watch out bejacob how you word things with this "old senile" fella misterchk or you will end up on his bad side and be involved in a frivolous lawsuit as I have been dealt.

Very good post my friend, looking forward to having all the Insiders coming to Houston and meeting them and yes that includes you as well.  It is wonderful to have the ability to get to know one another on a more personal level and the laughs, stories, experiences and fun is sure to entertain. 

Let's set the bar high (not too high to have a few "meds") and come one come all.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

BORING...

WHAT A BORING, BORING POST.

I mean, all it contains is the facts?

Where's the pictures of beer?

image.jpeg

Or a barroom?

image.jpeg

Or some pretty girls?

image.jpeg

Or just a devilishly handsome Englishman?

image.jpeg

I'm sorry bejacob, but you need to stop this straightforwardly informative style of posting.

OH... And it's TIPPLE... Re: Who's attending TIPPLE in Houston on 16th & 17th Sept 2016? Here's the list

Not "Insiders Gathering"

Sorry, folks, just can't get the staff these days!

Location Brand Hotel
    Tipple

Well, our list of attendees seems to have stopped growing at just shy of 20 with still a bit more than 6 months to go. Considering that my original estimate was no more than 10, I'd say things have gone well.

Hey Marriott. Looking for a focus group to discuss loyalty? We've already set one up for you. Come on down to Houston and chat with us. We'd be glad to share a few insights in exchange for some MR points.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Has my agent contacted any of you to start negotiating mt appearance fee?

seatexan Platinum

I am not allowed to give out the pricing info I was given by him.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Indeed your agent has made contact with me and my starting rate was 10,000 Reward points issued to every Insider you come in contact with per day.

Hey Gang. Don't forget, in less than three months, a large number of Marriott Rewards Insiders will descend on Houston. Come meet many of the crazy wonderful folks who make this site great. While I wish all the most active members of this site could be there, I am pleased that a couple dozen of us plan to attend.

Many have asked to make this an annual event. I won't promise that will happen, but if this meet-up turns out to be a big success, future gatherings may be more likely. Don't forget to book your special "Marriott Rewards Insiders" rate. Details can be found at ANNOUNCEMENT - Hotel Change for Sept 16-17, 2016 Insider Gathering (TIPPLE). Just make sure to book before August 17, 2016.

See you in Houston in a few months.

Location Brand Hotel
    Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston Downtown
      fistuk Platinum

Hopefully you won't change the venue again... 

I really hope location is final.

No further venue changes will be necessary. Had the Galleria been willing to offer us such a great rate and make the lounge available all weekend, even this change would have been unneeded. I do apologize for the change.

I am pleased that NathalieF was able to help get all the details sorted out. That she was also able to get Marriott to host a Saturday evening reception for all of us is just icing on the cake.

mustanggt Platinum

As a relatively new Insider I wish I could attend to meet everyone and put a name with a face.  However, I just cannot make it to Houston in September.  Good luck with TIPPLE, and I hope to have a chance to meet you all in the future.

Hopefully there will be other opportunities in the future. Don't forget to reach out to other Insiders when you travel to their home areas. I've met quite a few folks from this site this way.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

The rest of us will want to see pictures of Tipple here on Insiders...or it didn't happen.   

superchief1 Platinum

I suggest Cincinnati or Columbus next year so I can attend. If I had more vacation days available, I would have have been there this year. I'm sure all of you will have a great time.