56 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 5:20 PM by kharada46 RSS

Marriott Waikiki - 11 day stay

jamesj Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

This was our 3rd stay at the Marriott Waikiki over the years.  We have family in Honolulu so we typically visit during the summer and for Xmas/New Years.

HOTEL LOCATION( rating of 4 out of 5 stars): The hotel provides for a convenient location at the end of Waikiki with beach access across the street(Kalakaua Ave).  The easy access to Kapahulu Ave also gets us out of Waikiki quickly without having to deal with the traffic on Kalakaua Ave down Waikiki.

ROOM QUALITY and ROOM SERVICE(4): The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable... consistent with Marriott standards.  We typically received the extra towels requested each day.  The direct beach view was a nice bonus this time.  Last time they called it a premium ocean view room but our balcony faced the parking lot... if you looked towards to left you at an angle the ocean was visible.  That's a stretch for what I'd call an ocean view room.

Parking and Valet (3):  Expensive parking whether you self park or Valet so we went with valet for a little more.  The valet service got our car promptly and some would open our doors and help us but others where just comfortable waiting for us to retrieve our cars keys from them.

HOTEL RESTUARANT (1)

Avoid the in-house restaurant... I believe it's called the Kuhio Beach Grill.  Way too pricey for brunch, bad food, and poor service.  Scrambled eggs where cold... how do you mess up scrambled eggs.  We had to ask for coffee three times before getting serviced.  We only tried them out because they offer a 30% of promo for Xmas bunch but save your money and go somewhere else like Eggs and Things or for half the price at Zippys. For a little more you can go to John Dominis for a real Brunch on Sunday... yum.

Sansei is good if you can get in.  We waited outside for 30mins before they open the doors in the late afternoon only to be told that they were at capacity already.  Imagine waiting for a Disneyland ride for 30mins only to be told that you can't go on the ride after all.  Why even bother.  We ended up at Uncle Bo's which is less than a mile down Kapahulu Ave.  Zero wait time at 5pm, attentive service, great food, and fun for a family gathering with teenagers to seniors.

AMENITIES NEARBY (4 with wheels; 3 w/o wheels):

Starbucks is around the corner if you need some Java to start off the morning.

Municipal Golf Course only a few blocks away across the Ala Wai Canal.  Decent 18 holes and low cost... ~$50 greens fee, carts available, a few water hazards and some sand traps.  Good for an afternoon that's easy on the pocket book.  Reserve a tee time weeks ahead if possible and make sure you show up on time.  They operate like Japan Rail... on time and punctual.

Super Market - Safeway is a mile down Kapahulu Ave.  Stock up on water, food, and sun tan lotion there if you have wheels.  We try to avoid the pricey ABC stores near by on Kalakaua Ave.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Waikiki - 11 day stay
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

JamesJ,

Thanks for the interesting report!

That sounds like a great time, except for the dining at the hotel.

We are planning a trip in October and this will really help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

When I stayed there, Internet cost was $30/day (before free for platinum).  I would go to the Starbucks, enjoy a coffee drink and use the Internet for free.  The Starbucks was close and convenient.  I was not as lucky with a room.  I had a Diamond Head view as opposed to an ocean.  I tried the breakfast because of a coupon and even using it, it was too expensive.  What I got was acceptable but nothing to brag about.

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Hi,

We just returned from 9 days at the Waikiki Marriott.  We had a fantastic time.  Great room in the Paoakalani Tower (#2372), partial ocean view on the 23rd floor.  In truth, it was a great view of the city (at night) Diamond Head and the ocean.  The balcony was my little bit of heaven.  We ate 3 times at the Moana Terrace by the K Tower pool and it was very good.  Nightly entertainment was a plus.  I can only say good things about this resort.  From the moment we were attended to by Andres (fantastic!) to our late check-out, this vacation was perfect.

We rented a car two days and saw the rest of the island.  Waikiki is a bit noisy, so if you're looking for peace and quiet, go to Ko Olina or North Shore.

View from our balcony - close up.  I miss it!

Thanks,our balcony.jpg Marriott for a wonderful stay!

I am happy for you.  Much nicer view than they gave me.

I'm sorry to hear that!  Our view was nice, and the city part was gorgeous at night.  The city sounds I could totally do without.  ugh!

Hope to go back and visit either the Ko Olina area, north shore or another island.  Mary

My room was quiet.  I didn't hear the traffic.  I guess there are advantages of both.

Well, I do admit we left our balcony door open at night because the breezes were so lovely!

I don't think I did.  I only do when I can hear the  waves not traffic.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Glad to hear you had a good time!  Will you be doing a trip report??  

I did, finally.  Been a bit deluged since I got back.  Wishing for those breezes, it's still snowy here.  Unbelievable!! 

Mary,

Where might I find your report??  

Funny you should mention the weather!  We've lost our breezes, and are now experiencing abnormally cold weather... granted abnormally cold means high 50's to low 60's at night!  Yesterday was quite gloomy, so I'm hoping the weather will stay clear for iestrikesback! 

But yes, next time you come back, you should give Ihilani out in Ko Olina a try

I have been there when it has been cold.  How often does it happen?

Hard to tell, the news said the temperatures we've been seeing at the moment haven't been seen this time of year since 2002.  But we've been having unusual weather for the past few years so, yeah :/ 

That's horrid Kyle.  It beats our weather but we're used to it. Sure hope it gets better and soon!  It was slightly chilly a few days when we were there, but then it warmed up nicely.

Mary, I actually don't mind the weather to a degree... I like cooler (but not cold/freezing) weather normally, except for when I want to go to the beach! 

We're still trying to get rid of the snow here in northern Michigan.  There's been quite a bit of melt - but one day might be warm in the high 30's and the next day we'll get a couple inches of snow.  AARGH!  People here have that 'deer in the headlights/Jack from the Shining' look about them.  We need spring and soon!

Wish I was back in Hawaii!! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Now that is some of the whitest sand I have ever seen!

I'd definitely stay at the JW Ihilani, it's sure away from the bustle of Honolulu and Waikiki Beach.  We had a great time enjoying the walk along the ocean and the lagoons, lovely hotel and has Roy's just across the street with some yummy happy hour food/drinks.

I'll see if I can find a few pictures later.

lol! 

IAHFLYR, I love the JW Marriott Ihilani too!  And the area is only getting better.  Aulani added more dining options, and new restaurants are opening across the street.  One recently opened that intend to check out during our Aulani stay over Memorial Day weekend:  Monkeypod Kitchen Restaurant in Wailea, Maui and Ko' Olina, Oahu

trippin,

Sorry can't find any pictures, must be on another computer.

IAHFLYR,

When was the last time you were at Ihilani?

Last time was 2008 or 2009, so it's been a while...wow how time passes!

I think it's time for a re-visit!  They just finished renovations late last year! 

Funny you should say that as I am searching flights right now for sometime next year.  Even though we love Maui and Kauai, we did have a great time at Ihilani. Finding the right flight with this new United is tricky to make sure we get first crack at using miles and hopefully the won't swap out the good passenger aircraft for the ones I try to avoid.

IAHFLYR,

Good luck!  I hope you find the flights you want and are able to redeem your miles.  I'm crossing my fingers AA doesn't go through the same hell United did (still is?) when the merger process begins...

I can't imagine living in snowy weather!  One day, may just happen... haha  

Turkeys!  THanks for sharing that picture!  Very cool

I was cleaning out our storage room way back in the catacombs of our office building and saw it snowing like crazy outside. I took off the pic of the turkeys because it was so huge (don't know if the board wants pics that large here) but here is one I just took of the snow right now.snowy afternoon.jpg

Mary,

Nice!  At least you have green in your office! 

As for pictures, I don't think size really matters, so long as it meets the upload specifications.  I think I have some pretty large pictures in my albums! 

To me, it is nice to look out at not be out in it.

Reminds me of my recent trip to Fairbanks where I froze.  Still thawing.

Yes it is!  I wish I had a window... I wish I had an office or even a cubicle!   

Fairbanks must have been beautiful, even if freezing! 

Aww...now I feel bad.  lol!  I'll take your weather over a window, cubicle, etc.  Have a great week-end!!

Don't feel bad!  I'm the evil one posting pictures of beautiful Hawaii while you folks freeze! 

If it makes you feel any better, today's weather isn't so great.  Gloomy and VOGGY... add to that a very large influx of box jellyfish (very painful if stung) on our southerly shores and dangerous surf on the north shores, and you've got conditions that'll definitely keep you away from the beaches!

Have a great weekend Mary! 

You live there and can appreciate a tourist who paid a lot of money to get there.  Not good.  No one can predict weather in any location.  Just increase the odds.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate our tourists!  The funny thing about weather in Hawaii is, bad as it may seem, there's always a flip side to it.  Dangerous surf may mean no swimming, but it is absolutely breathtaking!  VOG may not be nice during the day, but a VOG sunset is simply amazing!  All the vibrant reds and oranges... And rain means, of course, that you get to see our famous rainbows. 

The only thing that really is negative is the jellyfish influx. 

Those darn jellyfish.  My daughter stepped on one in Florida when she was little.  Painful!!

We still have snow and cold here - this is insane weather even for us!  It was 22 degrees this morning when I drove into work.  AAARGH!

Talking about those famous rainbows - there was one over Honolulu when we flew in and I saw 4 more in the 8 days we were there.  I loved them!!  I miss Hawaii but I hope we'll be back!

Thanks Kyle for your wonderful posts about Hawaiian weather - I love it actually!

Yikes!  Luckily I haven't been stung yet... though I rarely go to the beach anymore

22 degrees is insane!  We went from cold (for us) to constantly muggy weather.  It was an unusually cold and wet winter for us, but it seems like things are now warming up! 

Hope you'll be back soon Mary!  Maybe JW Marriott Ihilani next time? 

Totally!  I'd love to visit the JW next time!!  Beautiful area and I loved the quiet!

I agree.  Very beautiful and quiet... perfect place to relax

Speaking of relax... here's some pics from Laniwa, a Disney Spa, over at Aulani

325961_3032108283282_2016955208_o.jpg323691_3032109603315_675451755_o.jpg

Ihilani is supposed to have a great spa too, but I haven't had the opportunity to go there yet. 

WOW, gorgeous.  We had lunch at the Aulani and it was stunning inside and out!  We ate at Ama Ama, which was very good with a view of the ocean.  Lovely!

It is!  And I appreciate the soundproof sliding doors on the balcony (though I wish the rest of the room had some sort of sound mitigation)... but the rooms are bigger and more comfortable at the JW... of course! 

kh,

Thanks for the advice!

Are you ready for Paris?

Jerry,

Thinking of staying at Aulani & JW Ihilani??   

Not quite... Gotta get through the wedding first!  Been slowly exchanging currency since the rates are pretty good right now.  Best rate here that I know of is at DFS Galleria in Waikiki, but they don't have Euros or Pounds unless someone from abroad exchanges, so it's been kind of hard obtaining the amounts I need

erc Platinum

Best Travel Money Rates | Foreign Currency Exchange | Online Money Transfer

kharada

Take a look at the link above. sg1974 suggested it in an earlier link. I had already converted dollars into GBP for walking around money thru a trader buddy, so I didn't use this time, but their rates were the closest to matching actual currency traders of any I had seen (again, I didn't use this time, so I'm not aware of transaction costs, but it's worth a look and sg gave it a hearty endorsement and he knows his stuff).

Whereas they're all terrific sources of info on all things UK; Ark's my pub man, Jerrycoin fine dining, and sg the king of monetary value - check it out.

erc,

Thanks for the tip!  I'll check it out! 

So are you ready for Hawaii?  Eight months should go by pretty quick! 

erc Platinum

Like you, I have a trip to London coming up, so I've been working on my tube logistics, then after the baseball season, I've got a couple of fall trips and then onto Hawaii, which is truly going to be my relaxation trip, just hangin'. Heck, I'm thinking about using your photos (and writeups)  for the guys back home, so I can spend all of my time tossing back a few Kona products; Fire Rock and Big Wave ales and my favorite, Longboard Lagers .

I'm bringing the entire clan, granny, the mrs., and three adults your age and are staying at a private condo in the Wyndham near the CY in Waikiki. I'll track you down in November to see if we can all get together. In the interim, if you think of a nearby Waikiki place that puts on a good hula dance exhibition, please let me know. With what your suggestions Azure and Chef Mavro are going to set me back, a free hula by the local girl scouts sounds ok by me! Thanks

Awesome, sounds like one heck of a schedule!  I take it you'll be paying a visit to Kona Brewing Co?   

Looks like you got an amazing family vacay in the works!  I'm down for a meet up, just let me know!  We return from Europe on 11/23, at least that's the plan for now!  For free hula, I'd check out Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and Ala Moana Center.  I know both have free hula often, I think Ala Moana even has it daily, though nothing spectacular.  Just be sure to check their calendar of events prior to planning a visit to make sure there will be a show that day:

Royal Hawaiian Center :: 2201 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI. 96815 :: 808.922.2299

Ala Moana Center: Center Events

If you need any more dining events and/or want to know something in specific, let me know!  Perhaps we can plan a meet up? 

erc Platinum

Great stuff, exactly what I was looking for. I'm laughing as I type this, because yes, I had looked into Kona, sadly the actual brewery is on the big island, but I will be hitting the Koko Marina Pub (if I could swim across the canal, it's right up University, piece of cake - don't worry, just kidding about the canal). A meet up sounds good. At Thanksgiving give me your new bride's e-mail and I'll write her and ask if you can go!  

Thanks for all the help. Mahalo and Ho' omaika'i (I'll save Mele Kalikimaka for the trip and then you can teach me new phrases)

haha, yes it is!  At least the Pub is here!  There's a Big Aloha brewery on island, but it was attached to Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab.  Sam Choy's recently closed, so I don't think anyone can go to the brewery anymore... that being said, there is a restaurant in Ko Olina that prides itself on having a huge beer selection too.  I'm not much of a beer person to be honest, but I will be checking it out next month for the food!   

Man, if you swam in that canal... I'd be surprised to see you come out alive... I kid of course!  But it is NASTY... smells weird, and has tons of runoff from all over!  Never fish or swim in the Ala Wai... still can't believe they jumped into it for Hawaii Five-0! 

Funny you should mention Hawaiian phrases, haha!

Useful Hawaiian Terms

Wedding - yay!  How exciting!  Paris - yay!  How exciting!  (I'm a dork)

kh,

Those are special places!

You enjoy yourself, and let us know how it goes.

Stay in touch!

Jerry,

Never been to Kona Brewing Co in Koko Marina (don't get out there much) and sadly, Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch & Crab shut down on March 30th. 

I forgot to mention, new Ko Olina place is called Monkeypod Kitchen!  Monkeypod Kitchen Restaurant in Wailea, Maui and Ko' Olina, Oahu

I should have a full report of the place done sometime in April after we visit the restaurant during our Memorial Day weekend staycation  

Safe Travels! 

Kyle, We walked into the Monkeypod but it was packed and we had to catch our shuttle so we didn't stay.  Too bad as it looks like FUN!

Mary

Mary, that's too bad

I'll be sure to do a report on Insiders!  Maybe next time when you stay at the JW you can give it a try

I like your weather posts too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...