51 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2016 7:27 PM by iahflyr RSS

The One and Done Insider

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In recent months we have all seen these people show up on Insiders.  They come in with a complaint, very seldom anything positive and want to know who to file their complaint with and BAM, gone.

Are they taking up some really good screen names, probably not?

Are they getting any usefulness from Insiders, probably not?

Are they going to provide any travel tips or experiences other than their gripe about Marriott and realize some value from Insiders, not a chance?

Just like some musical acts, one and done.

People, are you not able to think for yourselves and find out who to contact with your complaints such as Customer Service or another avenue?

Does this annoy other Insiders or am I just on a rant before heading out for .50 Wings at the local Irish Pub?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The One and Done Insider
    peymanagement Platinum

Yes I have not been on here that long but  have noticed that too. Sometimes they seem quite irrational. The ones that probably bother me the most are the ones that talk about not getting the same treatment at Marriott as Hyatt or SPG or somewhere else.

Some of their rants and follow-up discussion are entertaining as some of the long time insiders try to set them straight. I guess it is the same on trip advisor and other sites, some people just can not be satisfied.

Have fun at the pub.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Safely back from the Pub on the bicycle after a whole 5 wings, but they are good sized and spiced just right!

It's is quite entertaining alright, wonder what they hope to accomplish by sort of doing a whine and dash act?  One would think making a presence may work in their favor in the long term as other Insiders might offer helpful suggestions on how to get more with honey than vinegar.  OH well, just a curious question I thought of after reading yet another one and done person btchn about some nonsense.

seatexan Platinum
    Sometimes they seem quite irrational.

YES! haha Heh, the recent one made me giggle...entertainment!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I'm always irrational - most around me worry when I become "rational"

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I hear you.  I often get really ticked off at these one time rants.  IAHFLYR you've really hit the nail on the head, with this post.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Why must you speak of me that way IAHFLYR?

I concur and can't wait for the Elite Stories contest to be over which should clear the main board of lots of One and Done traffic submitting Elite "Stories" - though I am not sure I would classify many of them as stories of substance.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I usually ignore the posts or post some type of smart butt reply. haha

The smart butt response I love and might be why they leave!! GOOD

Oh the elite stories, two lines of how they were treated so well and amazed.  Good for you One and Doner's, get off our boards!

gatilla007 Silver

IAHFLYR whaaaaaat? "your boards"? Last I heard this is a public board, not a private one where a few feel they own it! Did I miss something where the geezers on this board paid $'s to feel entitled to shove their negative comments down other people's throats? I'm happy to spring some points to buy these "angry birds" some honey and break their vinegar jars!

Wow, did I strike a nerve gatilla007?  My, my, my....since I'm pretty much one of the geezers I will take that shot however; there is no feeling of "entitled" nor any shoving of negative comments down any throats.  I like to play and joke which if it comes off as being negative or entitled please accept my apology as that is certainly not the case. 

It was a simply observation on my part and appears a few others as well.  I'd love to have Insiders full of new blood as that's how I've learned many things from experienced travelers. I am actually pretty stunned right now so guess I'll need some of those points to fill my overflowing honey jar.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

IAHFLYR

How were the wings?

Very very good as always when I pedal over there.....flavored just right and to think I don't even much care for fried wings.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

"My name is Max, I'm new here and this is my first post -I felt I needed to point out that you have some members that start talking about food in the middle of a different discussion"

It is behavior like this by your members that is causing me and others to rant for the first time.!!!!!!

Good, how was your waffle this morning?

seatexan Platinum

IAHFLYR Wrote:

Good, how was your waffle this morning?

Bahahahaa!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

generally they want help from the community manager on their issue

They want help but they have no other interest in the community!  Many of them are just whiners!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Nothing better than a fine whine......

A fine Vodka?

Nah!  A fine wine is better!  One really gets to appreciate it when the Dr. says "None for you until treatment is over." 

And that day is getting closer and closer we trust.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Sorry I'm getting in late to this one, but I just got back from New Orleans (Marriott Downtown on Canal St. with an M Club, but that for another post). Thanks for starting a thread that, thanks to the usual suspects, had me laughing almost as soon as I started reading! I agree - once they stop the Elite Stories, we should be back to normal - if there is such a thing on Insiders!

I'm starting the think the norm is actually misterchk and a few others that will remain nameless.   And I like it.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

As do I!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I thinks the man from Houston just insulted moi! 

Referring to me as normal.  The nerve of that man!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I too am late to the party. Been enjoying Hilton Head.

As those of us who have been around the Insiders site for a while know, complaints to Marriott don't get resolved here. Considering that this is primarily a community of Marriott travelers, not Marriott executives, it makes perfect sense. As a group we do pretty well with travel advice (where to go, where to stay, what to see) and with most aspects of Marriott Rewards (promotions, redemption value, rollover, status challenges, etc.).

I try to keep an open mind about complaints. If I have some advice that might help, I'll respond. Sometimes it starts a dialog. The posts I find the most difficult to deal with are variations of "Marriott did something to me and I'm leaving never to return." My first reaction is "Great, more room in the CL for me."

I've posted a rant or two. Sometimes it makes me feel better. There are folks who post looking for some sort of support or resolution. As a group, we may not be able to provide that, but we can from time to time, give some understanding. The one and done complainers, I'm just content to ignore (most of the time) and let them disappear.

peymanagement Platinum

Well said. Where did you stay in Hilton head. My son and are planning a few days of golf next month.

Picked one of the VC properties (Surfwatch). The deal was too good to pass up (2-BR villa for $101/nt). Nice to have all the space, but it's a bit much for just two of us. Still, the access to beach is nice.

peymanagement Platinum

excellent, thank  you.

gatilla007 Silver

bejacob professional posts like your make sense and are a joy to read! You said right, "As a group we do pretty well with travel advice (where to go, where to stay, what to see) and with most aspects of Marriott Rewards (promotions, redemption value, rollover, status challenges, etc.)." That's exactly what this site is all about!

"There are folks who post looking for some sort of support or resolution. As a group, we may not be able to provide that, but we can from time to time, give some understanding." Bingo! Keeping this attitude in mind will help this community grow.

I cannot wait until these "Elite Stories" are done and gone as those are now where we find the most "One and Done" people.  When does that thing end?

March 31.

That is faaaaarrrrr to long a time.  Well maybe we will pick up another person or two for our September shindig in Houston that does not want to be put on the "One and Done Insider" list!!

hassmh Gold

Yes, hopefully. I lurked on here almost a year before contributing to the December contest (and winning! ), so I would expect some of the "Elite Stories" folks will look around here and see how much fun the crazy folks here are having and join in the fun! Just so long as we don't get too many "normal" people; they're no fun at all!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Not that I will be there; but I thought I would float an idea about the One and Done contributors....

If one does go the the Houston "Mardi Gras" they should have to buy a round!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

It's idea's like that which cause drafting you for a high office!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

FINALLY YOU HAVE PROVEN YOURSELF!

This post clears any doubt in my mind that you are worthy of co-chairmanship of the Dark Side!

Platinum 28 Reviews

Eight hours have passed and I have given IAHFLYR post much thought -

1. I feel that much of what he said was unfair

2. He has a chip on his shoulder

3. Upon awaking this morning his wife yelled at him (a problem I am numb to as I get yelled at every day)

4. I feel that much of what he said was fair

5  He should be banned from the site or at least give a time out for 5 minutes

6  Personally apologize to each individual who has visited this site for the purposes he mentioned and have been never heard of since.

7. Apologize to me for absolutely no reason at all

8  AND finally, he must be elected Sheriff of Houston by acclamation! 

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

I am one of the community members who wish the Elite Stories contest would end sooner rather than later. However, I am not opposed to new members joining the community. The moderators or whomever in the Marriott corporation determines these contests failed with the Elite Stories competition if the goal was to draw new members to the community. The baseball story competition a few years back was the same thing. Having individuals come and post one story (with no guidelines to ensure quality) and leave does not encourage them to engage with the community in the long term. A competition that requires multiple visits to the community would in my opinion have a better chance of people engaging longer term in the site.

seatexan Platinum

I Now must write one myself seeing as you all love them so much! Mwahahaha!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've not been on this site as much as I would like over the past couple of weeks, and so for the most part have been lurking. It's good to lurk!

To my mind there are 4 types of "one and done"

1. Those with legitimate praise who simply want to share an amazing experience, alas rare.

2. Those with a dreadful example of customer service looking for help, alas more common than the first, but still relatively rare.

3. Those encouraged to do so by Marriott to enter a competition, the most common one-and-done.

4. Those who feel sleighted by their treatment (either by Corp or an individual property) and come on to RANT. Frequently their complaint turns out to be minor, or wrongheaded, or both. This doesn't stop them giving full vent all the same.

IAHFLYR raises in this thread I think an absolutely fair critique of the last category. So far this year there has been one truly awful complaint, that by eodhl, where the JW Marriott, Panama simply cancelled his guaranteed reservation only 10 days before his flights,with nothing more than "regrets". We stirred the pot with Marriott via deannad and NathalieF and advised him to go onto Facebook as well. Finally, and begrudgingly, the hotel compensated with 450,000 points and paying for the stay at a local, alas it seems somewhat inferior, hotel. The points are however more than enough to buy a travel package, thus effectively refunding the entire cost of the point-based vacation. A fair outcome.

I'd say however that for every eodhl there are 20 or more largely unjustified rants.

And for every unjustified rant there's probably 5 or 6 one-and-done "elite stories", or whatever competition Marriott is deciding to run via this site. We need to be aware, this is Marriotts website... Not ours. It costs Marriott money to run and keep up and Marriott has other aims besides giving us regulars the opportunity to swap "dark side" banter, aviation geekiness and in-the-know jokes. Using this site as an entry point for the "elite stories" competition has 3 main drivers from Marriotts point of view, firstly it saves money on developing webspace to otherwise run the competition, secondly, the stories are not deleted, most are positive (albeit of questionable detail) and therefore represent a repository of Marriott positivity on the web and finally exposure to this site may cause some to become regular contributors and hence more loyal Marriott customers. This is Marriotts site and it's real purpose is commercial - to encourage more custom to its brands by fostering a feeling of community. The bigger this community, the more successfully it serves its commercial purpose.

So IAHFLYR is absolutely right to raise this thread - every single word of his original post is justified - and has done so entirely fairly, but ironically his "correct answer" given to jakeal is utterly wrongheaded, since jakeal's critique is unwelcoming to those who may become new regulars a la SeaTexan and hassmh.

Sorry, jakeal, no hard feelings, I count you as a friend here, but can't agree with the answer you gave marked as correct. I do however very much agree with the sentiments expressed in your later reply, that to improve participation and bring in a wider base such competitions need to be "stickier" producing a requirement to return and engage, but as I've said that is only one of the drivers bringing "elite stories" here. As gatilla007 rightly remarks, these are not our boards. They're Marriotts!

Very well put brightlybob and I understand your point with the correct answer, little late to change it so I will leave it for others to learn from.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have a similar forum in New Hampshire at my summer home where one and dones come in **** on a restaurant and then are never heard again. Most longer term participants merely ignore . it is the same with forums like trip advisor . If someone post a negative and they have no other post I view that they have an " axe to grind " . But as you said Bob this is a Marroitt site and to me hope more people take part but I usually view as suspect criticism for one and done's

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

A well thought out reply, brightlybob. My answer marked as correct should not have been - I agree. Agree also with you that my post could seem to be saying I am not interested in new blood. But as you noted from my later post; it is not an opposition to new members, rather a disagreement with Marriott's tack taken in attracting them.

I am thrilled to have SeaTexan and others join the community. Especially if they build our "millenial" numbers!

Should I take offense and a "non-millennial?"

One and dones don't help the site over the long term be they category 1, 2, 3, or 4 from brightlybob's list. Marriott's challenge is how to get more people to come here AND STAY. The first part is working. The second part will be up to the community and to some extent the person joining. If there are no questions to ask (i.e. which Marriott in NYC is best) or travel experiences to share (i.e. what MR members can expect at MVC based on my recent visits) some folks may not see the point of sticking around. The fact that Marriott is getting folks over here is great.

I'm not sure I like the majority of the posts I've seen in Elite Stories (many of them seem more like tweets to me), however, a number of newer members have stayed. They make our community stronger. We had a few that joined and posted replies to every discussion for a month or so and then disappeared (I was relieved by the silence as were a few others). Commenting on everything can be almost worse than the one and done (or at least more irritating IMHO). Eventually most of us find a happy middle ground - sharing our travel experiences and commenting on those topics we find interesting. I know I'm more likely to read comments by names I see frequently, not incessantly (that's when I tune out).

We don't all agree. That would make the site boring and useless. We do have a common interest. That alone is worth celebrating.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

bejacob, I like the last sentence of your post...

"if everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" General George S. Patton

JD

Platinum 28 Reviews

Bottom line - this site operates under the laws of the U.S.

For those of you that might have forgotten I give you the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

"'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

Furthermore, if an individual, exercising their constitutional right expresses an opinion without causing damage to another will be defended by this member to  the end. 

Okay, not more correct answer and let this thread die!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...