9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 11:30 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Is Cancun safe from kidnapings and murders?

hotelhoney Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am sending my 22 year old son to Cancun for graduation this year but I just heard about 5 people dragged out of a resturant in Mexico and shot and left in a ditch. Is this happening in Cancun?

• Re: Is Cancun safe from kidnapings and murders?
    retired Platinum

I have been to Cancun twice and have yet to see anyone dragged out of a resturant and shot! I do have to admit that I have seen some people at night having trouble walking. Not to worry your son will be fine, its safe. I'm heading to Cancun again in November, I will keep an eye on what they do if someone tries to skip out of paying the bill.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Congratulations to you and your son on his graduation.  Will he be travelling alone or with a group?  I'm a firm believer in safety in numbers.  That said, tourist safety anywhere is rooted in common sense. Stay on the main roads, avoid deserted places, don't wander off by yourself, so on and so forth.

Thanks to drug activity, kidnapping and murder in Mexico is alarming and definitely on the rise. According to CBS, 60 to 70 people a month are kidnapped, but official estimates believe the number is higher. While limited to Mexican border towns,  crimes in resort areas like Cancun have a different flavor.  The US government does warn that US citizens travelling to this area be vigilant.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

For a last minute check, visit the US State Department's Overseas Travel website and click on Mexican Consular Reports. State offers unbiased reporting on crime and other issues. If there is a travel warning for Cancun it will be posted there. 

Danger is everywhere, not just in Cancun, so better prepared and safe is the way to go.  Recommend you read the Cancun portion first.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Stepping Stones

Rethinking my earlier statement about being a firm believer in 'safety in numbers' and exercising 'common sense', you are very correct in saying, 'be prepared.'  To that I would also add, 'be informed.'  And, that's exactly what the travel advisory web site helps to do. 

Thanks for posting the main web site for travel advisories. 

elitepro Member

Cancun is safer than most Mexican cities. Sometimes it appears that there are more Americans in Cancun than Mexicans.

The most dangerous places in Mexico are the US border towns because of the drug wars.

I was concerned about security at the J.W. Marriott Hotel in Mexico City when some street boys tried to open my hotel room door in the middle of the night. I think that they had come up from the garage via the fire escape. Judging from their apparel they appeared to be peasants and not guests. This was an isolate incident and I have always seen evidence that the security at the J.W. Marriott is the best in that country.
    No matter how good the security is at any hotel, guests should bear in mind that we should call the front desk if we have doubts about opening the door. The security at the JW Marriott attended to my call immediately and I never had a problem again. Unfortunately we all have to be alert to terrorists now too. Thanks to a passenger for arresting the underpants bomer on the recent NW flight.

We all have to be cautious and observant! 

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews

9/11 is a time that we reflect on security globally. we should watch out and be aware of our sourounding. I am too afraid to travel to Mexico. Rates are low for a reason but the most dangerous places in Mexico are the US border towns due to the drug wars. I was also concerned about security at theJ.W. Marriott Hotel in Mexico City but they have alot of staff standing in the lobby. I dont know it that helps or not but you do need a key to go up in the elevator.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I would say that if you have to ask the question, then it's likely not a safe place to be.  But then, I consider Aruba right up at the top along with Mexico for unsafe travel destinations, but you still see a lot of Americans going there.  For me, there are still many places I haven't been in the US...no need to worry about safety in a foreign country.  Safe travels...whereever that may be.

franke Gold 4 Reviews

Picture 018.jpgwas there last year for honeymoon. great time. going back in nov.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Friends just got back, no problem!

As been said before, safety in numbers, and try to stay on "Compound". 

Congratulations, and have a safe trip.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...