31 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 4:38 PM by spbrown RSS

Why stay????

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

i have been a MR member for 20+ years and a platinum member for at least the last 7.  Many of my posts on this forum are meant to be suggestions on how to improve the program, but sometimes I feel like it comes out as complaining.  Since I have been loyal to the program for so long, they must be doing something right, so I would like to start a thread about why do we choose Marriott?

I choose Marriott because...........

They are conveniently located, I trust their service, and there are many options in my price range.

Why do you choose Marriott?

• Re: Why stay????
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Good question:

I choose and will continue to choose Marriott because it has  been consistent in its service delivery since the first time I stayed at the Twin Bridges Marriott Motor Hotel in 1967, a long, long time ago.  I understand and appreciate the family tradition that Mr. J.W. Marriott Senior brought with him when he founded the A&W Hot Shoppes storefront place in DC long ago. (For those that have not read the Spirit to Serve book in the nightstand, it's worth a read.)

I see the Marriott company as one that is founded on values that I share, including employee empowerment, minority hiring (when it was not done by others), and ensuring Associate quality. It consistently ranks among the best places to work.

Many friends over the years have been Marriott Associates, and each is an outstanding service oriented person. This is not something you can teach, it needs to come from within. I count them as friends, and for good reason.

A good friend was a GM at a large Marriott full service hotel in DC and upon his retirement he spent the day with everyone who worked for him, seeing each shift over a 24 hour period.  He did not attend a VIP goodbye, rather said farewell to his dedicated staff.

I stay with Marriott, because they have been loyal to me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Blast from the past...  I don't know how I found this post (OK, I still haven't figured out most of the sorting mechanisms), but I had one of those "fond memory moments" when you mentioned the Twin Bridges Marriott.  I can't tell you how many times I had Sunday brunch there (and it was quite a brunch).  It's also a remarkable testament to how much Northern Virginia has evolved since then, particularly close in, with the construction of (and explosion around) Pentagon City.  Alas, they tore down/demolished the Twin Bridges Marriott over 20 years ago (in 1990).

Twin_Bridges_Marriott_circa_1969.jpg

Sure, there's a Residence Inn in Pentagon City, there are the two Crystal City Marriotts (the Gateway is, to my mind, much nicer), and there's the Pentagon City Ritz Carlton.  But a piece of local history and color is gone....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
      Virginia, USA
        jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This was a "Cool" place!

I stayed there as I know SS did as well!

Enjoyed going to Georgetown, there was a champaigne place that is no longer there that was amazing.  Likewise, the place I enjoyed dining was "1776", what a great place for duck!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

JerryCoin - are you referring to 1789 - one of Georgetown's most popular high-end restaurants - then and now???

http://1789restaurant.com/main/index.cfm

If so, you're right - it's splendid....

You've got good taste!

Yes, you are right!  1789!

What a place!

1789 indeed.  Right across the street from the building most of my professors worked and a few classes were held.  I spent too many nights discussing politics with the Jesuits there over a beer in the basement

I posted that same picture earlier this year but thanks for reminding us of the first one!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Honestly I started staying because it was where the project team was staying.  I've continued to stay because of the consistent quality and service.  On the few occassions I have had issues, they were resolved to my satisfaction quickly.  The rooms across the same brand are relatively the same no matter where you go, not so much with other chains.  Across all brands the bed is essentially the same, just different bedding.  I know where the tv remote is, I know how to connect to the internet, I know where I can get a snack or drink.  Being on the road for more than 120 nights each year, some years over 200nights, these little things matter.  For the people that spend a few nights a year and read this, it might sound petty but those of you that live in the hotels like I do will agree.  Little things add up and being able to walk into a room after a long day on the road or in the office and know exactly where something is....well its like coming home.  And for me, that makes the world of difference, be it down the road or across the country, I know what I am getting when I get to my hotel :)

weld3z Platinum

my father apply a form with my name and he booked for me a honey moon in europe then i start loving this brand, it was by luck 

gratefulguest Platinum

Marriott staff are the number one reason I choose to stay at Marriott properties.  By and large, the staff members I encounter are honest and friendly and have a genuine interest in meeting my lodging needs and desires.  Reward points mean a lot to me since I can use them to provide good travel experiences for my family.  Marriott staff members make me feel apprciated and Reward perks add value.  I have no desire to go elsewhere with my business.

lesliepamel Platinum

I know that this is a forum for members of Marriott Rewards loyalty scheme who are mainly guests who pay to stay at Marriott hotels. However there is no section for MVCI members on Insiders. As an MCVI member, I own 70 nights with that club. I have used those 70 nights for the last 22 years of my working life and I had plans to use them for many more years as a retiree. This ownership could give me 960,000 Reward points every year, at an exchange fee of about $1000 and a annual maintenance fee of $8000, and a capital investment of $140,000

In 1987 this level of points would give me 68 nights in ANY Marriott hotel plus 12 transatlantic air fares. Today - if I was stoopid enough to make such an exchange - I would get 37 nights in a Cat 6 hotel. MVCI in in it's 26 year lifetime has NEVER inflated the amount of Reward points that it gives in exchange for timeshare. 

So whilst I agree with all things stated that are good concerning Marriott hotels, I am extremely disapointed and annoyed about the situation with Reward points for timeshare. I know that this exchange was never part of any contract, but it was heavily marketed by Marriott to sell timeshare.I trusted Marriott's tag line " We will always do right by our guests."

However, when one is upset with any company when matters are not dealt with firmly and fairly, then many other things in the relationship start to go wrong. In the last 18 months I have had to make so many complaints about Marriott hotels that in the previous 20 years never appeared to exist.

So while my allegiance to Marriott might be quickly waning, I am - like every other MVCI member -  just as strongly attached to Marriott Rewards as those brave 'Road Warriors'  Except for the fact that when I am upset I cannot simply take my business to another hotel provider, I am locked into the system for life. That is unless I choose to sell my timeshare at a great financial loss.

So I apologise if you view me as one of your 'Complainers'  But I do recognise that Marriott was once one of the greatest companies, and can easily remain so in the future, but it has to remember to 'Do right for all it's guests' and not deal with MVCI owners like the sharks of the timeshare market.

PS Can MVCI have a forum on Insiders ?  

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Can MVCI have a forum on Insiders ?"

DITTO.  I'd like to see 'Golf' and 'Spas and Resorts' combined into 'Golf Spas and Resorts' which might open a spot.  And, 'Vacation Clubs' added to the title of 'Travel with Kids'.  These combinations respond to an overlap which is fairly obvious.  What is not obvious, is the concept of 'Vacation Ownership' which encompasses many excellent topics touched upon in your post including:

• Maintenance Fees
    • Usage Options
    • Exchange Fees
    • MVCI Owner Travel Package Rewards
    • Travel Package Rewards
    • Mileage Rewards
    • Hotel Rewards (Hotel Category)

While the 'Rewards' topics overlap with the 'Marriott Rewards Forum', browsing and/or searching for meaningful owner-related Rewards topics does present a formidable challenge to even the most veteran Insiders. 

SPEAK YOUR MIND here.

pltnmprincess Platinum

LeslieP,

I in no way was targeting my statement regarding complaining to anyone but myself.  I felt as if MY posts were too much along those lines so I wanted to start a positive thread.  I do feel you have a very valid complaint regarding MVC and it doesnt seem that it is being heard.  Perhaps your suggestion of a forum specifically for MVC would help unify the voice of MVC owners so that maybe it will be heard.  I wish you the best.

tjcnewyork Platinum

I choose Marriott because of:

• Convenient locations in popular destinations for business/leisure.
    • Brands that respond to my needs for accomodations, affordable rates and broad range of services.
    • A sense of welcome and genuine hospitality whenever I stay.
    • My business is valued and my loyalty is rewarded.
    • Marriott proactively welcomes my feedback and acts upon it.
    • Marriott associates are enthusiastic and eager to serve.

columbussig Platinum

Good question and great statement as I have mentioned in the past.  I almost always feel that whatever I post on here comes across as a complaint. 

Why am I loyal

• Consistency in quality of room
    • Quality of room above competitors!

Even though I have had bad experiences, the good far out weighs the bad day in and day out!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Good idea

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I choose Marriott for one reason - I have earned 3+ million points over the years and have been Platinum Premier for 5 years and recently became Platinum Emeritus. In doing so, I have actually paid more or travelled farther for a Marriott-affiliate despite what my client(s) will reimburse and I ate the difference.

It is my hope that this loyalty/status pays off when using points to vacation (ironically, it never has and why I am thinking of renewing my Diamond with Hilton).

Do the rooms and service make a difference? To me - emphatically no. After a 10-12 hour day at a client's office, all I want is a clean bed without any hassles - I don't care if I get a nice greeeting from the front desk or if the fireplace in the lounge is burning - I want rest and rejuvenation for the next 10-12 hour day.

(Someone will complain about my analogy): hotels are like fast food - generally, a burger from McD or Wendy's or BK is still a burger. You want fast service and no salmonella. For hotel rooms, I want quiet and clean. I can get quiet and clean from Hiltons, Hyatts, etc. with the same consistency I come to expect for a burger at McD or Wendy's or BK. The only difference is that hotel chains with frequent stay programs allow a person to build status and earn points. If McD were to issue punch-cards that offer "buy 10 get one free", I would quit going to Wendy's and BK and give all my business to McD.

hearingrep Platinum 1 Reviews

I stay at Marriott because they are consistent in room quality, staff care, etc.).  Nothing is good about not knowing what to expect (at least for me).  I stay at the Marriott TownePlace and Residence Inn most often but love a night at an upscale Marriott as a treat (room service, lounge, etc.).  Over the years I've stayed at Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton and others but prefer the Marriott experience (except for the Four Seasons in Vegas where my stay was incredible).  I stayed at the Marriott Timeshare property in Palm Desert, CA and had a very nice week.  I hope to be able to stay at the Marriott Timeshare in South Shore Lake Tahoe in the near future, it is gorgeous.

iflyjetzzz Platinum

Marriott pluses:

Lifetime elite status

Consistent product

Reasonably priced

Allows last minute cancellations without penalty

Minuses:

Limited suite upgrades

Not enough properties outside of the US

No Coke products

For me, the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

pltnmprincess Platinum

I think another reason to stay is that we have the Insiders forum to share ideas and deliver feedback directly to Marriott.  We know they are watching, and I think some positive changes have occurred as a result of this forum.  Marriott Listens....

tjcnewyork Platinum

PltnPrincess - Agreed 110%

gpsworlddon Platinum

Totally agree.

I choose Marriott because of the superb service, convenience and because they are dependable. I know it is going to be a good travel experience. Granted some are better than others but we always sort that our for ourselves don't we. Get great service and you will return.

Consistancy and Value!

(Guess where my four favorite Marriott Pictures are from?)

jgator Platinum 60 Reviews

I know what I am getting! Everyone at Marriott treats reward members like they care. I really think they do

I love that Marriott comes up with new ideas for reward mambers. If you have to stay away from home stay at Marriott.

jgator

unimpressed Gold 1 Reviews

I used to be a big Marriott fan until this weekend. We stayed at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong and were given the smallest room in the hotel (we were told that it was the only one available but look for newspapers left outside doors ). We then moved on to the Beijing Courtyard Marriott whre we were told they had removed Elite access to executive lounges. We moved out after one night of a three night stay and moved to a Westin (Where Starwood still give Elite access to lounges) We have now cancelled our 10 night stay in the summer at the courtyard and again moved to the Westin. In times of distress in the travel industry it seems Starwood want to attracy loyal customers and Marriott try to cheat them.

I know where we will be spending our dollars now on ..

lizard Member 1 Reviews

I *just* joined Marriott so I will let you know!

Cool

submannuc Gold

Hi,

I stay at Marriott's because it is corporate policy.   I do like the service and the properties are nice.   I do not like that the properties in HI do not have a concierge level or free internet but most of the other places I stay at do.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry, two of the pics, seattle by the water and the champs elysees, not 100% on the other two (what do I win LOL ) :)

Zukracer,

You are so astute!

The other two are really tough,

Try the Dearborn Inn (The wonderful brunch place, especially on T-Day) and the second is one of my favorites, The La Defense Ren. in Paris.

One of the finest run properties In almost 30 years of travel with Marriot has been run by the Gm Wille Liebert! Once I spent US Memorial Day at this hotel to see the graves of US servicemen from my window, and then to pay homage to them.  It was a great experience, God Bless These Heroes!

saint_barbara Platinum 60 Reviews

True acknowledgement.  I feel that Bill and Co. really make an effort to impress on their colleagues to make the frequent travellers "special".  There's the reliability factor. 

I arrive in London, for example.   Not only my room is ready at 8am, but my upgraded suite.  Wine and scones just hit the spot.

There seems to be a down-to-earth quality about the staff.   and being a Platinum Member really means something to Marriott.

Guess they've got my loyalty as long as I want, or need, to stay in a hotel.

ps: thanks for the luxurious beds.  Beautiful!

Location Brand Hotel
      Sydney, Australia
    spbrown Platinum 60 Reviews

I stay at Marriott brands and am loyal to the program because while traveling you want consistency, quality, and most of all options. I have a handful of properties I consistently stay at and enjoy the regular interaction with the staff there, but I also use the web site often to check other properties that may be closer, be offering a promotion, or I just want to upgrade for a trip. I think the MR program has been a great benefit to myself and family as far as "perks" go. We have stayed for free on personal trips and vacations, we have cashed in points for birthday, Christmas and "just because" gifts. No other program has given back so much for me traveling and being away from the family. NO Subway, your free subs just do not compare!

Thanks for being a great company for some of us that are away from our families too much.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...