17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2016 1:16 PM by brightlybob RSS

NYC Times Square

jberzins Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have any experience with the Marquis in Times Square?  We will be traveling with a 9 and 7 year old for a long weekend.  Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
Marquis
  • Re: NYC Times Square
    xtopher Platinum 1 Reviews

Best location in NYC with young kids. We stayed there the last 2 Spring Breaks with our (now) 10 & 8 year olds.

It's right on Times Square, 2 blocks from the Subway, broadway plays all around. Centrally located for anything.

Rooms are spacious, most with pull out couches. The concierge lounge also comes in handy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stockneley Platinum

You will be fine.Like xtopher stated, it is great to be centrally located. There is so much to do within a 4 block radius.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Good location but the hotel is a madhouse.  Take a look at the Eastside Marriott!  Much nicer and more relaxing!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Agree, East Side Marriott is an easy walk to just about everything yet far enough away from the Times Square hustle, rooms are pretty good sized as well.

seatexan Platinum

IAHFLYR Based on many of the things you have said about the East Side (in several threads), I will be staying here next week for one night then moving on to the Ren Midtown NY.

I needed a place to stay after a late landing...9pm! EW! So I was going to stay at the LaGuardia Marriott, but thought it might be best to already be in the city.  I have no idea what traffic will be like in the morning trying to get to Manhattan and have a 9/11 tour scheduled for noon. I am hoping to be able to check in to the Midtown Renaissance before the tour.

The have an M-Lounge?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

SeaTexan, I always fly into LGA and have found that it's a 20-30 minute cab ride at off-peak times, and more like 45 - 60 min. during peak times.  If you are landing at 9pm, a cab ride into the city should be pretty quick and painless - 20 min. or so and much easier than cabbing into the city in the morning.  Plus the view at night driving into the city is fantastic.  I think the Midtown Ren is the one that doesn't have a CL but gives you some type of breakfast in the lounge or something like that?  Maybe someone can confirm or deny!

seatexan Platinum

clebert ah! Thank you for reinforcing that I made the right decision by going into the city in the evening.  I have only been once and that was with my mom and ginabeana.  I didn't have to make any decisions!  Great point about the views, even more excited now.

A Renaissance with out a CL... hmmm. Well as long as there is some sort of breakfast I am happy!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

SeaTexan sure hope you enjoy it and yes the East Side does have the M Club on the first floor. 

jberzins, as a business traveler I try to avoid the Marquis like the plague.  phctourist is correct about it being a madhouse.  But I do think the Marquis would be good with kids because as xtopher says, the rooms are large and have pullout sofas.  And there is a CL which is crowded, but it does have good offerings.  They have a door attendant and key card access (a special key card in addition to your room card) so you might not be able to smuggle more than one kid in at a time.  I think the Marquis would be very good for kids that age - mine are the same age so I know how it is to travel with them!  BTW, no swimming pools at any NYC Marriotts except the CY Upper East Side which has an indoor pool.  If your kids are anything like mine, there is hell to pay if you end up at a hotel without a pool so you might want to warn them in advance

PS - By NYC I meant Manhattan.  Sorry.  Can't say whether the Marriotts in other boroughs have pools, but I do know pools are generally pretty hard to come by in NYC.

PPS - As silver elite, you have to pay extra for a room with CL access so maybe not such a good perk after all.

maggud Member

Very nice hotel, Spacious rooms and a gym with a great view of the times-square.The location couldn't be better for a short-trip to NYC.

Regards maggud

j&c Platinum

I don't have anything to add about the Marquis but if you happen to wander with your family from the Marquis towards Rockefeller Center around breakfast time, and happen to be on 47th street between 7th and 6th, one of our "NYC vacation must visits" is 47 Gourmet Deli/Market (next door to Night Hotel) for a made-to-order egg sandwich on a Kaiser roll. This is a small market with a short-order grill tucked inside and 2 or 3 tables with seats for 4 - most patrons carry their meals out. No frills. But for the past 10 years, we have found that everything we've ordered, including at lunch and dinner, is well prepared and quality. All of the staff have been NY-kind to us on every visit! Your kids may enjoy seeing their "heart's desires" prepared right in front of them - a potential adventure. It's clean and great for people watching. Order at back, pick up any drinks or sides throughout the store (including salad bar), and pay up front. You can carry out and picnic elsewhere - on-line at the Today Show and in Central Park are 2 of our favorite places to nosh, if we don't eat at 47th Gourmet. Our other favorite must-visit is the Parisi Deli in Little Italy for amazing made-to-order sandwiches (with roasted red pepper relish, if you love it like we do). Go early - they often sell out just after lunch rush. C

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi jberzins!  A great family restaurant that is close to the Marriott Marquis is Ellen's Stardust Diner. It's on the corner of 51st and Broadway.  It's a retro diner in which the waitstaff sing and perform while you're eating.  A must in my book.

boomer Platinum

I stayed at the Marquis Times Square a few years ago with the family on points.  I am usually horrified at the rates there when I am looking to book in Manhattan for business, especially where the Ritz may be about the same price at times!

It is a madhouse and would probably not stay there again unless it was a dirt cheap rate but did enjoy the 2 nights I did stay.  I was put on a floor on the 35th floor (I think) facing the NYE ball.  Was cool at night to shut off the lights and open the blinds to see Times Square at your feet.  Your kids will love the experience.

luckymefl Gold

Amazing hotel.  You can feel the excitement of NYC in the hotel.  If you are lucky enough to get a view of times square, you can stare out the window day or night and enjoy the excitement.  Cool elevator system very high tech. Best location to be right in the middle of it all.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Im going to add to the cacophony that is for Marquis Times Sq. Big rooms, futuristic elevators, right in the heart of Times Sq madness I can think of no better hotel to take the kids to. Your kids will Looooove it!!!! Don't wimp out. Do it!

(NB - without kids I'd avoid the place like the plague!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...