11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2016 3:44 PM by phctourist RSS

Does Marriott still use Carry Over Points?

adfecteau Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Just wondering, it is Feb now and my excess nights haven't showed from last year.  If they don't still do carryover points I will switch back to Hyatt.  I bought Gold last year with 25,000 points so the excess nights should logically still count since I had more than 10 but less than 50.

Thanks!

Alexis

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does Marriott still use Carry Over Points?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You bought back Gold last year, so that means you were Gold all of 2015. Based on that you would only carryover nights in excess of 50. If you had fewer than 50 nights last year, you'll see nothing carry over.

The only way you'd carry nights with more than 10 and less than 50 is if you ended 2015 at Silver.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

bejacob  is 100% correct. You only rollover nights in excess of your elite level, so

Silver rolls over all nights in excess of 10

Gold rolls over all nights in excess of 50

Platinum rolls over all nights in excess of 75

As you are Gold, you'll need more than 50 nights in 2015 to have any rollover for 2016.

I would add that Marriott is again offering buyback and assuming you stay more than 12 nights pa at full service brands (Marriott/Autograph/Renaissance/JW) and value lounge access/ breakfast the Gold buyback at 25,000 points is pretty much a no-brainer buy!

adfecteau Gold

So, I received zero credit for my nights last year then, and have to accrue from zero.  See ya Marriott, this is about the 10th time I've not been treated well, I'm back to Hyatt where they don't play these shenanigans.  If this were represented when I paid for Gold, I would not have done it.  Never coming back.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi adfecteauI'd like to apologies for the frustration this has caused you.  I've reached out via private message in hopes that you wouldn't mind us, the moderators, taking a deeper look into this.  We'd hate to see you go. 

adfecteau Gold

I don't mind you looking into it, and if there is anything you can do it would be appreciated although I've already booked next week's travel with Hyatt.  I've been a Hyatt Diamond member for 5 years straight, and although I am still a Diamond member, I changed last year to Marriott. I even did it despite the fact that Marriott didn't match my status there although I was offered the lower tier Gold which I used.  I planned on the carryover nights, and when I purchased the Gold last year, it was not represented to me that it would negate all 40 nights of credit between 10 and 50.  So, I paid 25,000 points to get Gold, and get to start from zero now, and unfortunately I already stayed 8 nights with Marriott this January.

Being treated like a low wage traveling salesman in an old jalopy, when I spend half a million dollars a year on international travel at my Fortune 50 company is not how I expect to be treated, there many chains I can go to for bad service and treatment.  Not that I expect the world, but I do expect you to at least match the service at Hyatt if you want my business.

Thank you for your reply.

Alexis

peymanagement Platinum

Alexis,

For fear of agitating your situation further, I would like to point out that Hyatt does not treat us Marriott types any better. If I understand your post, "Marriott offered you the lower gold status which you used". Some MRI's tried to get a Hyatt match last year from Marriott platinum elite or platinum premier to Hyatt diamond and were only offered Hyatt gold which is somewhere between Marriott general membership and silver.  The reason that I left Hyatt was simple, I found it more expensive and there was not always selections in the areas that I needed. I am glad to hear that your fortune 500 company continues to let you stay at Hyatt's. Mine went through some austerity measures and their preferred hotel list dropped most of the Hyatt's.in favour or holiday inn, Fairfield, courtyards, Wingates, Hampton inns etc.

My advice is to relax, read the string on here about the benefits of maintaining status at more than one chain and pay your 25000 points and stay gold.

Hmmm.... Let's see. You stayed more than 10 nights but less than 50. Before the buy back and rollover nights that would have meant being Silver last year. Instead you got to stay Gold despite not staying enough to qualify.

Now you don't get any rollover nights and that's cause to leave? Not sure I get that. As for the 10th time of being not treated well, I'd ask why you decided to stick around so long is Marriott treats you so badly.

The rules for rollover nights may not be the easiest to understand, but they are posted on the Marriott website.

Marriott could say flat out that you need 50 nights to be Gold. No rollover, no buyback, no credit for anything but paid stays. They don't. I don't know what other mistreatment you may have received from Marriott, but in this one case, you were given exactly what is offered to everyone else. No favoritism, no poor treatment. I'm sure Marriott will be sorry to lose your business just as Hyatt will be pleased to gain it.

Good luck and happy travels.

adfecteau Gold

Thanks and I appreciate the post.  I would have considered that except that I've been treated so poorly at Marriott, the gold thing was so deceptive, and I just find the service and treatment at Hyatt better.  I'll take a look again if they offer to rectify what happened but the track record shows they don't really plan to try very hard.

That's the good thing about having options. If one company doesn't work, you can always choose a different one.

We all have an occasional bad experience with Marriott. When it becomes the norm, it's time to move on. I feel fortunate that most of the time Marriott gets it right (for me). Loyalty certainly goes both ways. I'll spend my money where I feel valued. Where I don't, I'll look for other companies to provide what I need.

Again good luck in your upcoming travels and encounters with Marriott, Hyatt, or even some other chain.

Message was edited by: bejacob

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm with you bejacob.  I have on rare occasions, been treated badly at a Marriott property, but, most of those times, Marriott made up for the errors with some sort of compensation ranging from a few points to a free stay.  There were a few times that no compensation was offered, but those times were rare indeed.

I would need more details of @adfecteau 's experience to intelligently asses the right or wrong of the current situation and whether I would expect Marriott to do something to retain his/her business.  In my experience, I usually got the benefit of the doubt.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

hmmm bye bye... thats all i have to say.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...