14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2016 1:13 PM by iahflyr RSS

Big Trip (50th Anniversary)  I'm Trying Again

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Things are looking up and I'm trying again to plan a 50th Anniversary trip.  Current thinking is that it will be more relaxing with less activity than originally planned.  We will start with 5 days of vegging and relaxing at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay.  Next we will plan on five days in San Francisco.  Finally, we will plan on 4 nights, not too far from SF and I'd really appreciate some suggestions for something not too hectic for those days.  We are looking at early June for the trip, assuming my doctors clear me for travel, at that time.  Please forward your suggestions!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Half Moon Bay, California, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
San Francisco, CA, USA
  • Re: Big Trip (50th Anniversary)  I'm Trying Again
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Bring a few extra layers cuzz it will not be beach weather in SF!!!!

San Francisco in June a few years ago and this was on a clear day when the sail began. 

S3600033.JPG

Love the entire Bay area so much.  You might think of the Sonoma Hotels | The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort for some relaxing time.  While we've never stayed there have heard from numerous people who have and all highly recommend the place.

Congrats again on your incredible fight and the good news as well as a huge milestone in marriage, 50 YEARS.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We are big on layers, but we usually find most places to be too warm rather than too cold.  In all our years, we have only had to buy extra layers once.  That was Zurich, when it snowed in November and we had to buy galoshes.

Trust me when I tell you phctourist, in San Francisco layer or at least have them with you as you wander the city especially closer to the Bay as you will need it should the fog arrive.

jerryl is so correct, Sonoma much less hectic and from what I've heard (never stayed) the Renaissance is top notch.  Why else would he be the "Featured Insider"?  

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

phctourist -

Glad to see your feeling better and looking to plan a trip. We spent a few days in Monterey / Carmel last March and loved it. It is on our list to get back to this year or next. You may consider your last 4-nights at the Marriott down in Monterey. I know IAHFLYR and pluto77 have written before about Monterey.

Great point jakeal as the Monterey Marriott is always good to us.  And will be there soon for another stay and expect another great time.

Thanks jakeal!  That's the kind of suggestion that I'm seeking.  I was last in Monteray in 1970 and I'm sure another look would be enjoyable.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

great hotel and in downtown

Thanks jakeal  I think we will add Monterey to the trip, but will try to make it stop 2, moving SF to stop 3.

Thanks to all who answered.  Our trip will be Half Moon Bay Ritz (5 days)

Monterey Marriott (4 days)

SF Fish. Warf (5 days)

Now I just need a bit of cooperation from the medical community.  My trip is booked for 6 weeks after last chemo is scheduled so I have some wiggle room!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

phctourist, you're trip sounds marvelous.  The HMB Ritz looks amazing and special, so very peaceful with gorgeous views.  You'll have to let us know if it's worth the price tag.  Monterey is also a good choice for the spectacular, majestic coastal scenery and geography.  In a couple of weeks, I'll offer up some Monterey suggestions, as well as dining options for SF.  Have you been to AT&T Park?  Your Bosox will be in town in June.  Perhaps if the timing's right... Tix go on sale Feb. 13th.

Thanks for the suggestion pluto77 but I won't be in SF while the Sox are there.  Hopefully, I'll catch them in Baltimore.

Actually, I would not want to commit to paying for tickets too far in advance, until the Dr. says I'll see you in X months so I know I'm clear.  For this trip, I'll book all refundable hotels. just in case.

If things proceed as planned and we can go, I will get a Ritz Carlton Visa.  It will qualify us for a club level upgrade which is worth $500 to $1,000 for the 5 night stay.  I'm certain the the two Marriott CLs will be a let down after that.  I'll fill you in, afterward.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

think about going up to Sonoma it is less hectic than Napa.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...