11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2016 5:26 PM by iahflyr RSS

Best Hotel in San Francisco for Spring Break with kids?

xtopher Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to decide which hotel to book (using points) for a 5 night stay in San Fran at the end of March. It'll be our kids (10 & 8) first visit. We may include a night or two down in the Monterrey area as well. Your thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, California, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
San Francisco, California, USA
Monterey, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Monterey Marriott
San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
  • Re: Best Hotel in San Francisco for Spring Break with kids?
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Please let us know which hotel you choose.  Many of us, would never want to be at a hotel that is popular with those on Spring Brake.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gatilla007 Silver

xtopher San Francisco with kids can be though, as some of the best activities in that beautiful city involve lots of walking. But if you can find a way to compromise, no doubt your fam will enjoy that vacation! The Courtyard by Fisherman's Wharf might be a good option, as you'll be within walking distance to fun things like Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square, Cable Car tour, etc. Parking in San Fran is a pain, so avoid driving in the city and make sure to Uber/taxi around. Highly recommend walking across the Golden Gate Bridge instead of driving across, as it's an unforgettable experience! Even your kids might enjoy it!

Location Brand Hotel
    San Francisco, California, USA
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

While I won't go toward the "Grumpy Old Man" concept, children may make it more of a challenge to enjoy much of San Francisco as it is one of the true wonderful walking cities in the U.S.  So many treats such as Lombard Street, Chinatown, North Beach, Union Square, up and down the Embarcadaro, The Golden Gate Bridge and much more some of which previously mentioned.  As a side note, once you determine your exact days of travel if you desire an Alcatraz tour you may want to book your tickets asap as they do fill up fast.  Make sure you get the headset tour as well to enjoy all the sounds of the "ROCK"!!

While I've never stayed at the Fisherman's Wharf CY we have numerous stays at the FIsherman's Wharf Marriott and love it.  They have some fairly good sized Jr. Suites that would probably be fine for your family and there is no CL at this property you just get the breakfast certificate.  Drawback as with most of San Francisco, parking at the hotel is about $50/night.  Not sure what the CY parking rate is, but it is most likely listed on the hotel site.  There is an absolute plethora of restaurants near the Wharf (not so much those on Pier 39 itself) more in toward North Beach and beyond of which are excellent.

Monterey is about 2 hours and 30 minutes from downtown San Francisco and lovely.  The Monterey Marriott is a very nice spot to stay in downtown, but has no CL yet they will provide you with the breakfast certificate for two and it is a full breakfast buffet with Omelette station as well.  The Aquarium is awesome and most likely something the kids (both young and older) will enjoy as well as the touristy Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf.   Cibo Italian Restaurant: Fine Dining & Live Jazz in Monterey has some very good Italian food and is about a block from the Marriott, again a number of good dining spots not too far to walk.

Let us know how you progress in your planning as it's always fun to learn what others enjoy, plus we know what hotels to avoid!!!!!  LOL

Location Brand Hotel
    Monterey, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Monterey Marriott
    San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf

Thank you for your useful insight on the hotels, parking and things to do....Great last line...I will post our hotel decision so you can avoid us.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I think that I have taken @misterchk 's role with my "grumpy" response.  I hope Chuck doesn't see me as usurping his role on this site.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

LOL, I know you were kidding phctourist thus why some tongue in cheek words I put in. If CHUCK has any issue with you even coming close to usurping his role, he can start to learn that you called me out on my lack of stick stirring and I'm engaged now to be a pest, pain in the Hilton and a few other things.

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I have spent a lot of time in the various Marriott properties in the bay area, though not all.  Personally, I would avoid staying at Fisherman's Wharf...it's a fun place to spend a half day, but it's very touristy and isn't the easiest place for exploring the rest of the city.  If money or points are not object, I love the Stanford Court Renaissance.  The JW is also great, but busier.  If you want to stretch your points, I really love the Oakland Marriott.  Great service and status upgrades...right near the BART station which gets you downtown faster than if you stayed by the wharf.

Traveling there with kids, plan to spend time in Chinatown, Japantown, the Ferry Building and Golden Gate Park.  I think Palace of Fine Arts is something unique and really cool for kids to explore.  The Exploratorium is a really cool museum for kids.

You won't need a car until you go to Monterey...which I highly recommend.  The aquarium is a great place to spend the day and nearby are whale watching boat trips that are so much fun. 

Interesting thoughts and insights. Thank you.

My wife & I stayed at the Stanford Court 10+ years ago & loved it, but I do not think it's affiliated with Marriott anymore.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...