43 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2016 10:33 AM by misterchk RSS

Platinum elite doesn't mean what it used to.

pharmgirl77 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am currently planning a trip to the UK this year, and was wanting to stay at my favorite Marriott in London.  Marriott County Hall.  It is a gorgeous hotel, and the service was impeccable.  I stayed there two years ago on points and we got a Big Ben view.  I was treated exceptionally well, and thanked for my loyalty.  Well, This time, I was wanting to use my points, and not only are they a Cat 9, they are also charging cash as well to get a good room.  I find that this is a cheapening of the loyalty that I have had for this company for 12+ years (practically my entire career thus far).  I am very upset about this, and am wondering why I continue my loyalty to a brand that won't reward me for it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum elite doesn't mean what it used to.
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think you'll find all basic redemption-rate rooms are for standard rooms in almost all hotel chains and I think thats always been the case. Like other chains, Marriott offers the opportunity to upgrade to more desirable rooms via points or cash. But Marriotts upgrade offerings differ from hotel to hotel, some offer many options, most none. Hilton and SPG do better at this (Hilton particularly offers most rooms inc suites for redemption, albeit sometimes at astonishingly inflated rates). IHG, with no opportunity whatsoever to upgrade redemption from basic rooms, does worse.

It is certainly the case that just 7 years ago the County Hall was a 35k/nt cat7 (then the top category) and remains top category, but thats now 9 at 45,000 points per night. Mind you, I remember central London's 5-star Marriotts being commonly available in 2009/10 below £200, today that's nearer £300. I think broadly speaking the 29% category redemption increase has kept pace with London's soaring hotel rate inflation.

Hotel loyalty schemes still offer good value, and I find plenty of value in Marriotts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

brightlybob you are correct that "Marriott offers the opportunity to upgrade to more desirable rooms via points or cash."  It has always done so.  If you choose, not to pay extra, you may still be upgraded (and I often am) but to guaranty the upgrade you must commit to pay, in advance.

People often get an upgrade at no cost and then return to the same hotel and find that such an upgrade is not available this time, for free.  Next time they might get it, but today they are upset that the upgrade was not available for free.  They confuse the changes in the market with cheapening of the program.

As far  as the changes in categories go, how is this different from any other price increase that one encounters every day?  As hotel rooms increase in price (and this is happening at every chain) the price in points will also increase.  This is simple economics.  Even the room at Motel 6 that once cost $6 per night (43 years ago) has increased more than 600%.  Why wouldn't prices increase in points as well as in cash?  On my wedding night in 1966 my room at the Key Bridge Marriott cost somewhere around $20 - $25.  For my daughter's wedding night, in  2009 rooms at Key Bridge ran significantly above $100.

As you say Bob, "Hotel loyalty schemes still offer good value, and I find plenty of value in Marriotts."

homoviator Platinum

I'm trying to figure out how to pay for upgrades.  Is it possible to pay for an upgrade at *any* hotel or only when it appears online? If I could just pay in points for an upgrade, I'd be thrilled.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

homoviator, I have noticed that once and awhile the Marriott website will let you upgrade during or after making the reservation.  This follows Hilton's model if you ever book with Hilton - they usually offer you a discounted upgrade during or after the reservation process.  Or you can ask the front desk for a paid upgrade and they may be able to accommodate that.  The RC properties offer paid upgrades at check often.

homoviator Platinum

Clebert,

I'm not sure if I've ever seen that, whereas I feel like I have seen it with Hilton.  I am guessing, however, following the Hilton and Delta model, we will start seeing this more and more for better or worse.

This is slightly off topic but useful to think about: you can generally guess if you are going to get upgraded or not. Low season and low occupation tends to get great upgrades.  I've also been to hotels that are packed where I've understandably not gotten any upgrade.  By just paying attention to that, I think once can get a good idea what will be waiting for him/her or what one can reasonably request nicely.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i think if you book a basic room with points they can still upgrade you at check in but its subject to availability.

peymanagement Platinum

You always have the choice to go else ware, but the prices in central London have gone up. Are the other brands offering a better deal? On a point per quid basis I think you are doing ok. Sorry for not being more supportive.

pharmgirl77 Platinum

I am still staying there.  Even with the cash supplement it is less than anywhere else I would like to stay.  I have been traveling on points for years, and this is the first time I have had to pay a supplement.  I could get it without the extra, I know, but I admit I am a bit of a hotel snob.   I like a nice view. I have stayed at the Renaissance Chauncery Court (back when it was Marriott), Marriott County Hall, and the Shelbourne in Dublin. I understand about inflation, and yes, London is a very expensive city, I totally get that.  I was just a bit disappointed.  I wasn't meaning to sound like a ungrateful brat.  I am just seeing the benefits get whittled away a bit at a time.  Fewer hotels with a concierge lounge, welcome gifts for platinum members...

peymanagement Platinum

Hey a little negative on here does not hurt.

What did you think of the Shelbourne in Dublin?

pharmgirl77 Platinum

Loved it.  It is in a fantastic location, and it is a beautiful hotel.  I would love to stay there again, but there weren't any reward nights available for the time I will be in Dublin. I wish I could afford to stay there without the points.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pharmgirl77  Welcome to our forum

I have heard this statement in some form or another for a very long time:  Platinum elite doesn't mean what it used to.

Would you, or some other member of this opinion let me know what benefit has disappeared  over the last few years?  Otherwise I have no idea of what isn't the same as it was, say, five years ago.

The only deterioration of perks I have noticed is caused by the amount of Plats not the change in benefits.

Looking for to find out what I should be missing.

pharmgirl77 Platinum

Maybe the increase in Platinum is the issue.  I usually stay in a hotel on average 100 nights out of the year.  I wouldn't say anything has disappeared completely in the 12 years I have been Platinum, but some of the perks just aren't as plentiful as they used to be.   I used to get a platinum arrival gift when I would check in no matter what chain I would check in to (Fairfield, Courtyard, etc).  Then it fell off dramatically for several years.  I will admit that I now stay mostly at Courtyards, and I am offered an arrival gift for being a platinum member. On the occasion that I stay at a Fairfield, I may be offered something about 50% of the time.  Another thing that I have noticed is a lot of the hotels are getting rid of their concierge lounges.  Having access to the lounge is a major perk that I enjoy, but now it is getting harder to find hotels that have one.  I do seek those hotels out when I am on vacation.  It is a nice place to unwind from a day of sightseeing.  A nice view, a cup of tea, and comfy couch and I am in heaven.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pharmgirl77

Forgive me but I have a few questions to understand completely what you are describing: "Another thing that I have noticed is a lot of the hotels are getting rid of their concierge lounges.  Having access to the lounge is a major perk that I enjoy, but now it is getting harder to find hotels that have one" .  

This is the first time I've heard of this - to make sure I understand what you are saying -   You have encountered Marriott full service properties (not resorts) that have closed their CL's??  That is astonishing and I don't believe many of us were aware of it.

As to  the absence or deterioration of welcome gifts, there are remedies if you do not receive what you are entitled to.  I suggest you review the benefits and guarantees that Marriott states on the website.

Look forward to the info on CL's as I am sure most members will be astonished upon hearing this info.

pharmgirl77 Platinum

I haven't been to the Shelbourne since my first stay, but I was looking at it for my upcoming trip, and it no longer lists a concierge lounge.  There was one there in 2009.  If I am mistaken, I apologize.

seatexan Platinum

I was on TripAdvisor and I was reading up on some Marriott properties where there were some post about the CLs being permanently closed.  If I get some time I will try to find those post.

pharmgirl77 Platinum

I was thinking that I had read something similar on this site, but I can't seem to find it.  Maybe I saw the same thing on TripAdvisor, and then when I saw that a CL was no longer listed on the Shelbourne, it made me think the was an increasing trend.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Please, anyone - this is the first I've heard of this.  Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

I would assume if this was a new policy someone would have commented earlier on this.

peymanagement Platinum

Are they getting confused with implementation of the M Lounge? I have seen in a few hotels where they have moved the lounge off the concierge floor to the main floor or conference floor. Miami Airport comes to mind and I believe Calgary. I thought it was an improvement in Miami.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I did a search on Trip Adviser and all I found was circumstances where a lounge was closed on a specific day due to a valid reason and/or renovations.

After reading the complaints from guests (which as a frequent business traveler) the closure that they encountered were unavoidable but in no way were permanent closures.

One that I read was a unplanned "Thursday" closure at the Marquis on Time Square

pharmgirl77 Platinum

I stand corrected. I didn't mean for this to become a huge argument.  This was just the first time I have ever had to pay additional for a reward stay in my 12 year history as a platinum rewards member, and I was a bit miffed about it.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pharmgirl77

HEY!   Lean back and take a big breath and RELAX.

This is not an argument - no one is arguing, we are investigating what you might have misunderstood!

AND your posting of what you perceived is going to end up constructive!

The creation of the new concepts in CL's  (M club to be specific) was created for various reasons.  One of the (paramount) reason is the size of the existing club at many properties were inadequate due to the eligibility of access being offered to so many. (not to mention abuse by families).

The one thing I can give you is a 99% guarantee that the demise of the lounge is not happening!  It would be suicidal by the corporation.

peymanagement Platinum

I agree that this is an excellent string. Much of what is on this site is perception. Yesterday it was a dastardly deed to erase reservation and stay details when it was just a temporary IT glitch.

Thank you for your post, all posts are helpful in clarifying things and sharing ideas and experiences.

When you get right down to it, CL's are the cornerstone of the benefits as they impact our wallet directly. Upgrades are nice but CL's avoid us in having to pay for some meals (not to mention the convenience). So it is a sensitive subject.

Platinum 28 Reviews

peymanagement

You could get into big trouble explaining a situation so clearly and concisely!

I wouldn't be surprised if brightlybob and bejacob use their influence to silence you for "treading" on their turf.

But, no worries, if you transfer your loyalties to the "Dark Side" yours truly and the Sargent at arms of the alternative universe ( IAHFLYR  ) will protect you!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I'm sure there is an explanation - there is NO WAY there is a movement to close lounges.  Hotels that are experiencing sever overcrowding (PLEASE I PLEAD - ANYONE READING THIS THAT SENDS A NOTE THAT "THEY" HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED OVERCROWDING WILL BE SHOT ON SITE) are changing over to the larger concept.

Consequently it might only be a "terminology" issue - Guest checks in, asks where (specifically) the CL is and is told "we closed it" - the inexperienced reception clerk fails to tell them it has been relocated and the name was changed.

I've yet to run into a single CL that was closed permanently!

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist

Evidently you didn't get the email or the registered letter advising that they were closing all lounges permanent

The communication was only sent to 25% of the membership to fool them into thinking the lounges were closed to help with over crowding!

You will receive a diamond pin to wear the next time you check in to secretly let the guard at the door that says out of business to let you in - on your first visit you will also be shown the secret handshake that will be required on your next visit.

Thanks misterchk for straightening me out.  I did not get that memo, but I can always count on you for the latest info!   I hope to resume travel in June and be more in-tune with what's going on.  Health seems to be improving steadily and my only problems, these days, involve fatigue from chemo.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Late to the party and this may have been mentioned, but could the closing of CL be directly related to the opening of an M Club at the same property and some just don't see that?

Sorry peymanagement, just read where you asked a similar question.  Guess I need to be scolded for not reading all posts before my fingers get excited to type.

Message was screwed up by: IAHFLYR

Platinum 28 Reviews

It has been determined that there is no movement to do away with lounges - but many factors the foremost being crowding  (excuse me those in denial) the switch over to larger rooms (usually adjacent to banquet facilities) are being implemented.

Crowding created by my favorite partnership.......NOT

United giving Marriott Gold status to their high end MileagePlus members stinks and crowds our lounges.

Platinum 28 Reviews

OKAY now we are past the rumored demise of the lounges out of the way let's get back to

"Platinum elite doesn't mean what it used to."

If this conception (or misconception) is based on too many elites and there is no more concrete proof I think it's a issue that (if exists in any form) can't be corrected anyway so we have to live with it.

pharmgirl77 Platinum

I will be living with it since I am really close to lifetime platinum, and I am not going to start over with another chain now.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pharmgirl77

Do me a favor - it's Friday (in California - I'm not sure what day it is where you are) it's been a long week. I don't need this confusion.  I'm old and get easily confused - and I get quite concerned when I read that you will "be living with it"!

So I don't lose any sleep  (will be taking a geriatric  nap in an hour or two) what exactly are you living with so you don't give up your goal of Lifetime Plat that is so painful????

pharmgirl77 Platinum

There was a serious delay from when I wrote that to when it posted.  I was being facetious.  It has been a long week. And I have been bouncing around Texas like a ping pong ball for work for the past couple of weeks, and next week is more of the same.  I am really ready for a vacation. 22 days and counting.   Don't let anything I say confuse you.  It isn't worth it.  Most of it is nonsense.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Hey, dont let our resident grinch, misterchk  spoil your kvetching. He does plenty of his own!

I don't think your concerns regarding London Marriott County Hall hold well, simply because I doubt it's ever been possible to pick anything but a standard room for base points at that hotel. But, according to all accounts it has a great record of upgrading Gold and Plats on arrival, not least because here in the EU we see fewer elites in comparison to the USA where at some hotels 30% or more guests can be gold/plat leaving upgrades much harder to find. Here in the EU, where biz travel is much lower and credit cards awarding status non existent, Gold/Plat is far harder to achieve meaning hotels here see far fewer elites and hence are much more likely to have rooms to upgrade to. If you decide to gamble on a free upgrade, you have a good chance of success, just don't blame me if it doesn't happen!

I think a major complaint that does have legs however is the ease at which gold/plat can be obtained in the USA and the dilution of in-stay benefits that results. After all, if everyone is elite, no-one is! That and redemption inflation, which whilst keeping pace with runaway room-rate inflation in major go-to destinations like NYC, London or Paris, looks silly in places like Dubois, PA, and opportunistic in destinations like Miami and Key West, FL.

pharmgirl77 we've got lots of spots for you to bounce around here in this state don't we?   And welcome to Insiders, so sorry for the rude yet normal intro you received to misterchk.  He means no harm he's just one of us over here on the "dark side"!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR   I hope pharmgirl77  knows I was on good behavior when posting - Hopefully she will never see what I'm like if I really start yelling and screaming.

She should also remember I only chastise the one's I like - the big worry should be if I never comment on her postings.

MC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...