17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2016 1:46 AM by kharada46 RSS

30 Years Ago Today A Very Tragic Day For Space Flight

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hard to believe it was 30 years ago today that the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster happened. 

Challenger disaster: Americans share memories on 30th anniversary of space shuttle explosion - Yahoo News

One of those days where if you were born and able to remember where you were you will never forget. 

My Wife and infant Son had just landed in Newark, New Jersey, to visit her Aunt and Uncle and were walking from the gate to baggage claim (yes ssindc there was a time when I checked luggage ) when I saw all these people huddled near a TV in the corner of a bar.  I was absolutely stunned when one of them told me what had occurred.  How I thought, how could this have happened.

Where were you when you heard the news of Challenger exploding?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 30 Years Ago Today A Very Tragic Day For Space Flight
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree and there is a great space center in Concord NH that is dedicated to Christi

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

I saw it on television when I was very young

and remember this to be my first moment of being shocked by something I saw on tv

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I stood in a large Army school classroom alongside 100+ other Army officers - we had convened as a group to watch the launch on a big screen....  Stunning.... Unforgettable ... Tragic.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

What a thoughtful post, IAHFLYR. I was not yet born when this event took place, so I only know it from past news clips and videos. Regardless, my heart breaks every time I see it.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just remembered we took this in Arlington National Cemetery a few years ago. 

S3600049.JPG

And then Columbia on February 1, 2003.

S3600047.JPG

From January 28th the Challenger accident, January 31st, Alaska 261 crashing out of control into the Pacific Ocean off Pt. Hueneme, California, to the February 1st, Columbia accident.  Not a very good five day span over the years.

nmballoonist Platinum

I have also been to the Arlington memorials.  Very simple but moving monuments to people who gave everything to push the "final frontier" if I can quote Star Trek.  It's too bad that both of the shuttle accidents happened as they could have been easily avoided with better NASA decision making.

vertol46 Platinum

IAHFLYR, I was a Navy helicopter pilot in San Diego. I came out of a training simulator, and the tech told us about it. Didn't believe him. Couldn't be true. Then I was glued to the tv for the rest of the day.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I was in my programming office on the 2nd floor of MWHS-3 at Marine Corps Air Station, El Toro.  One of my Gunnys brought in a TV, and together, we all watched the unbelievable tragedy unfold.

vertol46 Platinum

"The future doesn't belong to the fainthearted -- it belongs to the brave. The Challenger crew was pulling us into the future -- and we'll continue to follow them" [President Reagan].

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I was at work in an administrative position, and was absolutely stunned when it happened.  No one really talked much for the rest of the day.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I was in science class watching live with my classmates.  We were so excited to get a break and watch TV.  I remember us all being very confused about what had happened.  

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I was still a couple months from being born!  But as the disaster had Hawaii's first astronaut aboard, it receives quite a bit of attention in schools locally. 

But the stories we have been taught in school, have been covered in the media, aren't exactly what happened.  A lot of rather depressing/gruesome details have been left out, though the reason behinds doing so were very valid.  The remains of OV-099 are now entombed at Launch Complex 31B at Cape Canaveral. 

gatilla007 Silver

kharada46 "The remains of OV-099 are now entombed at Launch Complex 31B at Cape Canaveral"... Did not know about this

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

gatilla007, there's a lot more gruesome info that can be learned with a little searching, but I'll spare this discussion of that.  Though the Discovery Channel special When We Left Earth has astronauts like Story Muscrave talking a little bit about what actually happened. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...