13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2016 9:21 PM by iahflyr RSS

SPG

marriottian Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Since the merger started, is SPG matching MR statuses? ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
MR status Match
  • Re: SPG
    seatexan Platinum

I think it will be at LEAST a year or more before rewards will be combined.  I'm not even sure if the merge has been "approved" by government regulators.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marriottian Gold

But as with HH would they match if you call and submit your MR status to ask for a status-match

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I cannot confirm this as I heard it from another guest at the JW in Cabo, but she says she was recently at a Westin and they said that they she is a Marriott Platinum Elite so they will honor that status with an upgraded room and amenities (whatever they may be).  They just would not allow her to earn Marriott points or nights and that would have been in late December.  Seems a bit early for that to occur, yet she had no reason to fib I wouldn't think.

seatexan Platinum

I am kind of excited by the merge... except for the less competition part.  I'm too low in status to get many of the perks a lot of you all get.  I am excited about the expansion of properties and more options.  I frequent Costa Rica and the only option there right now in Guanacate is the JW (really nice but kind of remote).  There is a Westin REALLY close to everything, but I won't stay there because it is not Marriott.

Thanks for the info IAHFLYR!  Good to know that the Marriott status is at least kept.

SeaTexan share some of your experiences at Guanacaste and photos please as we've looked at the place a few times, just not sure being as remote as it is makes it worth the trip..do tell!

seatexan Platinum

I am going back in Aug.  I was thinking to do a little write up on the area.  Most of my photos are of the beach or, more..."artistic" shots of things.  I'll see about digging up some current shots .  It's a beautiful area of Costa Rica.  Fly into Liberia (45 min drive)... not San Jose, unless you want a 4 hour drive to get to the JW near Tamarindo. 

That would be wonderful and yes, LIR is where we would fly.  Just found a new property while searching Costa Rica.....only like 14 miles from LIR. 

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection: Carrillo Unique Hotels

seatexan Platinum

Whoa!!! thanks

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Absolutely nothing will happen until the ink has dried on the legalities of the merger, not least because the deal represents over a 90% share swap so it could yet be overturned by a cash offer. Marriotts stock has lost 20% since the agreement was reached in mid November, that makes the offer worth 20% less. SPG stock has suffered too and it remains a good deal from Marriotts point of view, but if both stocks (and especially Marriotts) continue to tank, this deal could look very vulnerable to a predatory cash raid by a hedge fund.

If the deal does finalise I'd expect some kind of crossover arrangement between Marriott Rewards and SPG to emerge pretty quickly based either on mutual recognition of elites and granting stay benefits or simply allowing status matches pending the schemes full integration which as I and many others have posted is probably 18 months away.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I've never hear of or have stayed at a Hedge Hotel

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

So I hear, despite your Hilton status match you've yet to accumulate any nights!

Platinum 28 Reviews

Nary a point or a night - just can't separate myself from the big "M" in the sky

Spoken like a true legal dude!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...