23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2016 10:46 AM by iahflyr RSS

Scrub Island things to do?

flynhokie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hey all,

Starting this to avoid hijacking other threads and get more on topic to planned trip...

About to book a 5 day trip (Maybe more??? ) to Scrub Island on points.  Looking for thoughts and ideas on what to do on and off the island.

1) Is 5 days enough time?  Too Long?  Too Short?

2) What activities would you recommend on the island, besides sitting by the pool, drinking, relaxing.

3) Where would you go if you rented a boat for a day?

4) Excursions on the ferry back to Tortola?  Worth it?  What would you do?

5) Other advice.

Thanks in advance!

FlynHokie

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Scrub Island, Virgin Islands (British) Autograph Collection Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Scrub Island things to do?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The Welcome Guide to the British Virgin Islands

HOW LONG TO STAY

• We've visited Scrub Island Resort twice, once for five nights and the second time for six.  We would leave Houston on a mid morning flight getting into San Juan around 3PM and connecting to Cape Air for the 45 minute flight to Beef Island Airport (EIS) located on Tortola.  Even without checking luggage and with the short two minute (if not less) from the airport to the ferry dock and 10 minute Scrub Island Ferry to the resort the entire day was taken up with travel.  So your first night didn't actually provide much time in the day to do anything so the next trip was six nights and it was much less rushed even though we did not feel anything other than total relaxation both times.  So if you plan on being in the Caribbean the day you check-in and get to the resort early five nights may be good.

ACTIVITIES

• On the resort itself and island are very small yet well designed.  We would take a walk around the entire island each morning up and down the hills and stop by North Beach for a little walk up and down the small beach.  There is a bar there and they will bring you food from the restaurants if you do want to lay at the beach.  Swimming there we did not do as it is pretty rocky. 
    • Honeymoon beach is quite small as well and only way to get there is kayak over around the corner from the Marina.  Very private and secluded (not that the resort isn't) with calmer water for the most part.
    • Sitting by the pool with the gorgeous views of the Caribbean sipping on your favorite beverage (adult of course) was always a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.  I don't see most people going to Scrub Island who want to go dancing or party all the time as it is a very calm soothing spot.

BOATING

• Renting a boat for the day is a fun way to get all around the BVI to the many different islands.  You can either get a boat with a Captain or if you're an experienced boater you will have no problem.  As you cross and motor around the Sir Francis Drake Channel the water can get fairly rough, but being smart and taking your time you'll be fine.   Just expect to get wet as the waves crash over your boat!
    • Going to Virgin Gorda and docking at Bitter End for a drink, all the beaches are beautiful.
    • You can get to the famous Baths.
    • Saba Rock which sits out in the middle of the water a few hundred yards from Bitter End will let you dock there as well to have a bite to eat or drink,
    • Cooper Island has a very nice open air beach front restaurant with a dock, just so many ways and places to visit that you'd not get a chance to see without a boat.
    • There are so many islands up and down the channel, just ask the company you rent the boat from to show you where to anchor the boat off each island and swim in as they frown on running the boats on to the beaches.

TORTOLA

• Road Town is the largest of the towns on Tortola.  Take the Scrub Island Ferry over to the dock by the airport and get a taxi into town.  Road Town is where the cruise ships port on Tortola so might be good to avoid those days.  We never did that as we would get enjoy food to cook in the kitchen from the little store and shopping area by the ferry dock.  There are a couple of good Caribbean food joints right in that same area as well by the dock.

OTHER THOUGHTS

• Since we enjoy cooking we upgraded to a suite in Building 17 in order to have a complete kitchen and a huge balcony overlooking the water and toward the EIS.  We'd get our groceries at the ferry dock area by the airport as well as from the deli at the resort.  They also have wine, alcohol and soft drinks there and make a mean sandwich special of the day if you don't want to order food from the pool bar.
    • Most nights we would make something for dinner while sitting on the balcony enjoying wine.  Never turned on the TV during either stay if that tells you something about just being. 
    • The resort restaurants offer some nice dining.  As I am a flip flop, shorts and casual shirt guy we would opt for the open air place Tierra! Tierra! and they'd have live music.  Even if we didn't eat there we would wander over from the room and enjoy a cocktail while some nice Caribbean tunes played.  Just fun

We all have our own way to travel, so these tips and thoughts from our journey may or may not appeal to your taste. However, with getting ideas and doing some research you will put together a trip you'll not soon forget.

Keep us informed on what you figure out as it's fun to see what others do and find for our next visit, and yes we will be back!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

DO you remember how much it costs to rent a boat with a captain?  Thanks for all of your tips. Scrub Island is on my list of places I want to go. It looks stunning. You're lucky you've been able to go twice!

Sorry aje5837, but give the resort a call using the number on the resort site and ask to speak to the registration desk at the resort as the number listed used to be someplace in Florida.  Once they transfer you ask the folks for information on renting the boats with a Captain.  If they don't provide any assistance DM me and I will try to get you a few email contacts at the resort if they are still there.

Keep in now this was two years ago, a 23' Contender Center Console was around $550 for the entire day.

flynhokie Platinum

I contacted the rental company.

29ft is $850. For a full day of 8 hrs plus and $550. For a half day , this includes drinks , champagne ,fuel captain and snorkeling gear

That sounds like a great price to include the Captain and drinks for a boat that large....BOOK IT!

homoviator Platinum

Agree! That's a great price. Also if you get a captain and enjoy the service, don't forget to tip accordingly. This is also a great price if you can pick up and drop off at the dock at the hotel

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I will be there in a little over a month; thanks for the insight!!!!! My wife and I can't wait to get there!!!! 

I hope it is still as wonderful now as it was for us, cannot wait to find a time to head back down to the BVI. 

Should you decide to go over to the U.S.V.I. during your stay, take your passports with you or you'll be back in the B.V.I. in no time!

flynhokie Platinum

Great information IAH!  Thanks so much.

flynhokie Platinum

Question on getting to Scrub Island.  My dates have changed, and I'm now looking at early April for a trip there.I know it's recommended to fly into EIS from SJU, however, the costs are prohibitive.  I can fly on miles to St. Thomas, and then take the ferry to Tortola.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Is it a pain?  Is it worth saving Close to $900 in airfare for the water taxi's and shuffling to the ports on land taxi's?

TIA.

Boy I wish I could help you with that Hokie, but cannot since we only flew into EIS.  Let me ask, what leg of the trip is most cost prohibitive, into SJU or from SJU to EIS?  Reason I ask is you might want to check from SJU-EIS a couple or operators as Seaborne Airlines and Cape Air make the trip, maybe another as well. 

Last time I looked just randomly the IAH-SJU-EIS trip was stupid costly even in Economy.  We would connect as we always have to Cape Air in SJU which is sort of a UA Express flight. The Cape Air segment of the trip was the most expensive so you may want to look around at other options before taking the ferry from STT.

flynhokie Platinum

Its the flight from SJU to EIS.  The inexpensive round trip ($200) is only am timeframe, which would require an overnight in San Juan.  Double that + for anything after 1pm, when we would arrive in San Juan.    Not that that's expensive at all, but really trying to do this trip on a budget (as in free). 

Ended up booking to STT, and we'll make an adventure of  seeing STT and the ferry rides to Tortola and Scrub.  Got flights to STT on airline points, and hotel on marriot points.  Only cost of the 'trip', aside from food and excursions, is about $30 in taxes for airline, ferry fees (they look to be $40 round trip per the many websites) and cab rides.  Can't beat that cost for 5 nights on a resort island.

Sorry to learn you found the exact same thing we have recently, SJU-EIS is murder.  I've never checked into Seaborne as I'm not a fan of the SF34 they fly, much rather be on the C402 of Cape Air.

That's good news flynhokie, cannot wait to learn of your ferry experience and taxi from Road Town to the airport and ferry dock for Scrub Island. 

homoviator Platinum

I Just got back from sT Thomas. The ferry was 40 each way from sT Thomas to Tortola. I'm writing this on my phone so I can't see everything previously written, but I'd look at flying out of San Juan or sT Thomas

go Hokies!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Wish I were going now......

Go man GO

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I have promised myself I will get there someday. My husband and I had dreamed of going there. Unfortunately he died unexpectedly last year at 33 years old and my travel plans have been put on hold. Someday I will get to Scrub Island. It is a DREAM of mine to go there.

I am soooooo very sorry to learn of your loss, so very very sorry.  Not fair at all and I do hope and pray for your peace somehow. BIG HUGS and more for you.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Thanks!  I appreciate it!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

My sincerest sympathy to you as well!!!  I can't even imagine going through the loss of my wife....

I hope you still get the opportunity of going sometime in the future....

I will say a prayer for you at sunset our first night there; and then again at sunrise the next morning....

May God Bless you!!!

homoviator Platinum

I Definitely have this on my bucket list.  This place looks awesome

a trip to Cooper Island for lunch is a must and The Baths-- awesome fun

a lot of people stop at Jost Van **** but it's not as awesome as the first two

A bit tawdry in my opinion

Yep they will come to the resort Marina with the boat you rent and Cooper is a MUST>

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...