24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2016 3:41 PM by moonflower RSS

Marriott Marquis v Renaissance Times Square

pilam76 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Planning a trip to NY. Will be staying in Times Square.   Was looking at either the marquis or the Renaissance.

Has anyone stayed at either hotel recently, maybe both, what is your recommendation?

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: Marriott Marquis v Renaissance Times Square
    doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Both  great hotels personal pref would be the marquis once you've mastered the elevator system it's a great place to stay

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Have stayed at both and found Times Square rat race to be more than we cared to hear all night long.  Unless you just wish to be in the midst of it all, you may want to consider a few hotels out away from the square yet still within easy walking distance like Hotels Near Grand Central Station | Marriott East Side New York Hotel which we totally enjoyed or maybe the Boutique Hotels NYC | Renaissance Midtown Manhattan Hotel 57.  The East Side has many restaurants within a couple of blocks and is a five minute walk to Grand Central Station.  If you are flying into the city and can get a flight into LaGuardia (LGA) you can avoid all the traffic around Times Square for the short trip to the hotel.

Also, unless you want a full service Marriott there are a number of other Marriott brand properties all over the area again that are an easy walk to Times Square, Theater District, Central Park, SoHo and NoHo. 

There are many Insiders who frequent NYC so I'm sure you'll get plenty of input from the likes of ks77, misterchk and jerrycoin.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Have stayed at both and here is my (serious) opinion:

1. Both in Time Square - too crowded - I will no longer stay in Time Square - getting in and out of hotels is like leaving a 100,000 seat stadium after an event

2. Renaissance - more comfortable and friendlier staff but smaller rooms  Great view from restaurant.

3. Marquis - large rooms - was a "poster child" for what can go wrong with the management of a CL - very impersonal service.

4  BETTER CHOICE IN THAT AREA  ESSEX HOUSE -

It should be noted that the area is very "touristy" - restaurants in the area tend to be impersonal and food is not the quality you would find (as example) of the neighborhood around the Marriott East Side -  ( a very good choice if you don't mind walking to the Time Square area - a trick, though, from the Marriott ES take a taxi to Rockefeller Center than walk the 2 or three blocks to TSq. it gets so crowded from RCtr to TS that the cost of the taxi is doubled)

pilam76 Platinum

Thanks for the input! I normally dont believe what normal people review on trip advisor because people usually give a hotel 2 stars because there is no fridge or a bottle of water is $8 but the essex house seemed to get panned quite a bit...

pilam76 Platinum

Let me clarify, I travel for my job and I am a platinum elite member. I go to NYC for a week every year and past 2 years stayed at marriott east side so I am looking for a different hotel and area.

How about the Algonquin, Residence Inn Times Square, Courtyard Times Square or Courtyard Herald Square.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

pilam76

Why are you looking for a different hotel - the M East Side is a great place.  The Algonquin is old and needs renovations plus tiny rooms. Not familiar with the CY's but stay out of Tsq.   The Lexington is a better choice than the Algonquin, but again can't hold a candle to the M East Side.

The Algonquin while a lovely decorated hotel has maybe the smallest rooms I've ever seen let alone slept in......guess you just really want to be in TS.

And now you have me curious and that isn't a good thing.  You mention Platinum yet your Elite icon shows the "S" for Silver. Come on, come clean with us on this issue before we have to issue you demerits!!

pilam76 Platinum

My apologies, had platinum on my mind, i just checked out of a hotel for 9 nights so i will be gold elite when those credits hit then another 25 to platinum which ill have by mid February. It isnt that I want to be in TS just a different location than East side.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

We stayed at Renaissance TS over Memorial Day weekend.  Crazy crowd, but found the hotel very pleasant.

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

You could also consider the Downtown Marriott. Very close to Rectory Street subway. Great views of Staten Island, Ellis Island and the Statute if you get the right room. Easy transport up town. Nice walks around Battery Park

ejjones3 Platinum

We stay at the Ren Times Square whenever we go to Manhattan for the weekend, and we love it.  The rooms are a bit smaller, but everything is in NYC - unless you're staying at the Waldorf or the Plaza.  The lounge/restaurant provides nice views of Time Square, and a really good ambience if you're looking for something low-key.  We usually sit along the glass in one of the corners and enjoy an overpriced bottle of wine. 

ejjones3, having stayed at the Waldorf for 12 years in a row I can tell you their rooms are nothing to write home about regarding the size, pretty much average to smaller than average at best.  Oh sure, get a suite and they're wonderful otherwise just go and enjoy the hotel and all it's history as well as a drink in Sir Harry's.

Platinum 28 Reviews

ejjones3

The ren is a better choice if you can handle the crowds.

As far as room size goes although small rooms are the norm in NYC there are many Marriott properties with larger rooms.  The Marquis, The Essex House and the Marriott East Side are larger and with a little "upgrade" luck you can even get larger.

I'm in NYV at least 6 times a year and have done my research as small rooms drive me crazy.

browncrew Gold 14 Reviews

Renaissanceis my pick. The Essex House is on my list.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I can only comment on the Marquis in Times Sq, but would say if you want a huge impersonal hotel right in the heart of touristy Times Sq, then this is it. Especially if you want to jam a lot in a room. The Marquis is really the only hotel in the area that has genuine double-double rooms with 2 fullsize doubles and a double sofabed too! On the other hand, I'm afraid to say if the hotel is busy, the elevators will drive you mad!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hands down, it's the Renaissance but only IF you can get in for a reasonable price.

But just remember, prices fluctuate wildly in NYC, so it's always worth comparison shopping - there are many good properties close by, and there's little rhyme or reason to the pricing - a lot depends on what convention or large parties have already booked in the various properties.  See generally, this old post with lots of food for thought: NYC - Market Pricing

etwhite Platinum

My two cents..... If I'm going to New York, I want to be in the midst of all the crazy.  I've stayed in both. If you are taking kids stay at the Marriott Marquis.  It's a zoo!!   They will love it. If you are going with just your better half, stay at the Renaissance..   I love the place and the bar has a great view of Times Square. It's a lot more romantic. Both are a block from each other.  You really can't go wrong with any of the other Marriott properties in NYC.  Subways can get you anywhere you want to go. My wife and I just prefer Times Square area. Having a nice dinner and catching a show within walking distance is great for us.

I'm actually taking the Mrs. for Valentines...................... (Renaissance)

Platinum 28 Reviews

BOTTOM LINE - Hotel is great - large rooms - acceptable service - good location

If you can handle the crowds go for it................If you want peace and quiet stay someplace else.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I've already put my 2 cents in - probably up to ten dollars worth so far.

One thing that should be noted about the Marquis - (don't know if anyone mentioned):

One of the highlights staying at this property is the ELEVATORS - Those that have been there know what I'm talking about. 

I'm sure this computerized elevator system is in other properties - but the Marquis on TS is the only time I seen and used it.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Oh, yes. When the Marquis isn't busy those elevators are a delight, in a jetsons-becomes-reality type way. If the hotels packed the elevator waits will infuriate you!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Add me to the Renaissance Times Sq  list. This is a great hotel and I have stayed at just about all of them in NYC. This is my 1st choice if I can get the government rate. Yes, the rooms are a little smaller then the Marquis and Essex House but I like the rooms much better. Stand up shower. Cleaner more modern. In addition, they do not have a CL so instead you get certificates to eat at the bar and the food choices are great! In the morning they turn one of the restaurants into a Gold/Platinum area for breakfast. The breakfast is not that great but just like most of the other hotels. The view in the morning can't be beat though. Well worth it.

I avoid the Marquis when I can. It is just to big, too crowded, too crazy and too impersonal. There are two Starbucks at the Marquis which is nice and the CL lounge is very nice at the Marquis but food is just ok and I never eat there at night.

Now.. if this matters to you then the Essex house by far has the best CL !! Their food options at night are unbelievable. You could eat there every night and never have to go out for dinner. Some nights they may have Prime Rib. The rooms there are very .. very old but large. The location is good since Central Park is right there but a walk to get to the main tourist areas.

My choice and for me it is a no brainier ... Renaissance. If I had to list me preferences:

Renaissance

Essex house

Residence Inn Times Square

Marriott East Side

Marriott Downtown

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...