31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2016 4:18 PM by nismoztuner RSS

Ritz-Carlton Visa - anyone else like it?

Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

SO took the plunge last year and got the Ritz-Carlton Visa with a $395/yr fee, but first year only you get 2 nights at any RC plus a bunch of concierge upgrades you'd never use unless you are already used to staying at the RC. Nice bonus is that they give you $300 each year toward airline lounge fees, upgrades, and other things, so if you're like me and wanted to join UA club or any club regardless (or pay to upgrade here and there), it works out to same $95/yr fee as standard MR Visa. The dang thing is so heavy, it'll "clang" when dropped - and makes even the metal MR Visa black card look like a lightweight. It arrives packaged as if you're getting the key to the city, and with everything but private band of trumpets. Comments, likes, dislikes?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ritz-Carlton Visa - anyone else like it?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I also signed up for the Ritz Card last year when they had the 140k Sign Up Bonus and I really like my card and just renewed.  This card really pays for itself.  Even if your not a regular at Ritz Hotels the Card Benefits are really worth considering. Each year you get $300 Airline Credit, $100 Ritz Hotel Credit for Spa/Restaurant, 3 upgrade Certs to Club Lounge at Ritz properties, Access to Airport Lounges around the world, Primary (not secondary like most cards) Auto Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance, Emergency Medical & Dental Insurance when traveling, and Roadside Assistance (when 50 miles away from home).  Each year you also get a 10% Bonus on Marriott/Ritz Points earned from the Card.   For me it's a keeper.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vertol46 Platinum

I'm thinking about it. Sure would help if they offered a nice sign-up bonus. Any idea about how often those run?

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Good question, vertol46. I reached out to our team to see if they could provide any sort of timeline around sign-up bonuses. They told me that it is actually up Chase. They may be able to help answer this question if you're interested in giving them a call. They can be reached at 800-338-5960.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Another thread about a card I'd take up in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact I'm a whiney Brit and we don't get it here.

Actually, it wouldnt be that much use here, with only a few excrutiatingly painfully expensive Ritz's in Europe, and no need for airline schemes (the budget carriers now dominate the EU short haul market) I'd not get much from it, so it's actually marketed right spot on, USA, lots of more "reasonably priced", RCs, legacy carriers with good mileage programs and travel requiring car-hire.

If I lived in the USA, like vaboywnder, I'd rate it a keeper!

Kingfish45 Gold

I took that card last year in Jan.  when they offered the 140,000 Marriott points.  Used the points to stay 5 nights at the Cotton House in Barcelona (350 eur or more per night) .  I got my $300 refund for comfort seats on the flight. Also received Lounge club for a year. I didn't use the ugrade cerificates

I got it in Jan. 2015 so I cancelled it this month.  I dont travel as much now so the $395  is steep.

However, they still renewed the Lounge club just before I cancelled it. And they still gave me the Ritz Carlton upgrades which I probably won't use. I didn't do this but I am told that the $300 airline rebate is per calandar year so it may be possible to have gotten two of those depending on when you get the card.

For me, it was a good deal.  If you wait a while, the 140,000 offer may return.

If you do apply don't for to register your Marriott Reward number and the points will go there.

homoviator Platinum

I wish I had grabbed that offer.  I wasn't paying much attention to points then.  I've been eying the Cotton House, so congrats! Great use of point.  I think the RC card is best for somebody who travels two flights or more a year and preferably international.  The 10% annual bonus could be great, especially if you are using the card for a lot of Marriott stays. However, much of the RC are fairly useless to me so some of the bonuses that go along with the card will likely never get used.  Even then, if the 140,000 bonus were to come back, I'd jump at it this time around.

However, one thing I just realized, you don't get the extra night for the $3000 in purchases. hmm. looks like I need to be putting together an excel page to see which one I will do better with. I'd like to get Lifetime Platinum at some point, and I'm more heavy on nights than points, so maybe that's another point in favor of getting the card.

Platinum

Kingfish - yep the $300 is an annual thing, otherwise I'd cancel after the 1st year. Basically, if you know you'd spend the $300 every year either way, it ends up being a $95/yr card - same as the regular less heavy-metal Marriott card

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I also obtained the card last year when they offered the 140,000 Marriott points which was a great deal! However, I will not be renewing it. I actually like the card a lot in terms of how stylish and thick the card is. I will never get use out of the Ritz upgrades. In order to use these you have to book a room at the regular rate and that is just too much for me.I also never used the lounge access. These days, the layover's are quick and I am not sure I would ever find that particular lounge in an airport. I did manage to use the $300 in credit toward airline misc fees and I can see a benefit to keeping the card for this purpose but this just really nets against the steep $395 yearly fee.

The main reason I will not keep the card is that while you do earn the Marriott points at the same rate as the regular Marriott Visa card, you do not receive the elite night credit for every $3,000. Granted, I am platinum for life so I guess I really don't need it but if I am using a card, it would be the Marriott card vs the Ritz for that reason. So I just cant' justify the $395 fee even after netting $300 in credit for misc airline fees (assuming you can do that), I just don't see any benefit to this card over the Marriott card.

If they do offer the 140,000 point bonus again for new members then you should run to the Internet can get this card !!! It's a great deal.

Jsucool76 Gold

The benefits of the Ritz card over the Marriott card are huge for those who don't obtain status the hard way. It gives me gold status, last year I only clocked in like 46 or 48 nights. I signed up for the 140k offer in 2014,got $600 in airline gift cards, and got my annual fee waived. Used one club level upgrade for Ritz Pentagon city saved me about $600, and got to use my $100 hotel credit. That year alone paid for 3 years of annual fee pretty much. That's why I renewed.

nismoztuner Platinum

Does anyone know how i can take advantage of that $100 hotel credit, I plan on staying at RC for 9 nights. I was looking at the benefits of my RC card and saw that i need to stay a minimum of 2 nights to be awarded the $100 but what about my other nights?

is it just one credit for my stay or will i be getting $100 for every two days?

nismoztuner,

It's one $100 Credit per stay that is two nights or longer.  You will need to make sure that your request the credit at the time you make the reservation.  The promo code for this promotion is "Z34".

Here are the rate rules regarding the $100 Credit:

• The Ritz Carlton Rewards Credit Card 100USD Credit
          • Guest must stay at least 2 nights and purchase an eligible
          • Member Rate in order to receive the 100USD credit
          • The credit can only be used on Dining, Spa Services, or other
          • on property recreational activities. Recreational activities
          • are defined as any hotel service managed by the property, not
          • managed by a third party.
          • Credit must be used during the original reservation and is not
          • valid on consecutive reservations at the same hotel.
          • The credit cannot be applied toward the room rate and is not
          • valid on alcohol, taxes, gratuities or any hotel service
          • provided by a third party
          • There will be no refund issued on any unused portion of the
          • credit
          • The credit is non transferable and cannot be combined with any
          • other offer or promotion. It does not apply to packages,
          • discounts, negotiated or group rates. It does not apply to FHR
          • Centurion, Virtuoso, Signature, or Ritz Carlton Members and
          • Resident Owners offers booked through HRS.
          • Guest must pay for their stay with the Ritz Carlton Rewards
          • Credit Card.

nismoztuner Platinum

Thanks for your reply

Without the code I would be paying $188 per night, with the code itll bump up to $202 per night.. meaning i will pay an extra $165 to get $100 = not really worth it.

I called ritz a few days ago to have my club level certificates applied to my reservation and was told that my dates are all taken for the club level.. Lame...

Seems like i will be cancelling my direct reservation and book a package with Expedia and save my self $600 with flight included...

I would think they would be able to still offer you Club Lounge access.  During my last Ritz stay I stayed on a different floor but was still given access to the Club Lounge.  The Ritz Club Lounges are really nice and have food offerings three times a day. 

Jsucool76 Gold

i thought it was 5 food offerings a day, though that is including their "snack" and "dessert" presentations i think.

breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, desserts

plus free booze.

You are right they offer "Five Culinary offerings throughout the day".  I forgot about the afternoon snacks and desserts.

SCHEDULE OF FOOD PRESENTATIONS

• Breakfast 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
                  • Lunch 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
                  • Light Snack 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
                  • Hors d’Oeuvres 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
                  • Desserts, Candies and Cordials 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

nismoztuner Platinum

that doesnt sound bad, im going to call later and ask about that- hopefully something can be done since I really want to book direct and not with Expedia but Im not getting that much out of Ritz on this trip.

Seawolf Platinum 1 Reviews

Does the Lounge Club membership come with two, or one card?  Also, is the lounge club really worth it? I have the United Airlines mileage club card, and I'm wondering if the lounge club membership is better than Uniteds?  (I hear that, in the lounge club, there are some airport clubs in which you need to pay for non-premium alcoholic drinks, is that true?)

Platinum

I  only got one lounge club card, but to be honest haven't used it yet. I used the $300 credit  toward a United Club purchase. I haven't looked at the details for a while, but I believe I could bring one travelling companion with me at least at some of the other clubs.

I've enjoyed my complimentary membership to Lounge Club in the last year.  I've used it several times at Dulles to access the British Airways Lounge.   Each time I was able to bring in a guest at no additional charge. You do not have to be flying on a particular airline to access the lounges.  On the Lounge Club website you can see a listing of all the lounges. They also have a mobile app to look up the lounges.

Jsucool76 Gold

Every AU gets a lounge club card. You just need to call jpm and request it.

Platinum

All of the fine print on the current offer is here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ritz-carlton-card.aspx

Overview summarized below:

10%

Annual points premium*

Receive a 10% annual points premium on Ritz-Carlton Rewards points earned through card purchases made during the year.

Points per $1 spent at any participating Ritz-Carlton hotel or our worldwide partner hotels*

Earn 5 points per $1 at any participating Ritz-Carlton® hotel or our worldwide partner hotels including JW Marriott®, EDITION®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts®.

Earn 2 points per $1 on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies and restaurants, and 1 point per $1 on all other card purchases.

Upgrades to the Ritz-Carlton Club® Level each year*

Enjoy complimentary upgrades to The Ritz-Carlton Club® Level three times annually on paid stays of up to seven nights, and surround yourself with extra measures of comfort and sophistication, subject to availability at the time of your reservation. Advanced reservations and e-certificate are required.
    $300

Annual travel credit*

Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more.
    $100

Hotel credit on paid stays of two nights or longer*

Allow us to treat you during your time away with a $100 hotel credit toward dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities on paid stays of two nights or longer, when reserving this offer.

702rugbyref Platinum

I want to get the card but I don't think you can combine the points with MR Cards, can you?

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Although they are separate accounts, the points from both cards are transferred to you marriott rewards account, just at separate times if the cards have different closing dates.

702rugbyref Platinum

So IF I were to open at RC Card, they too would accumulate in my current Marriott account?

Yes...I have both the Marriott Rewards and Ritz Credit Cards.  Points from both are credited to my Marriott Rewards account.  If you apply for the Ritz Credit Card make sure you enter you Marriott Rewards number on the application otherwise they may open a new Rewards account for you.

nismoztuner Platinum

Vaboywnder is correct- I also have both cards and did what he mentioned.

3 years with the Marriott

2 months with the Ritz now

The only issue I had was that I had to call Ritz to have my club level certificates added to my account since according to the Ritz rep chase had two accounts under my name- My certificates were added the next day.

nismoztuner Platinum

I have another question, i have been going over the Ritz site (Marriott site user here) and read this:

ANOTHER YEAR. ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY: RECEIVE CREDIT FOR TWICE THE NIGHTS

If you have yet to experience the benefits of Elite status or are looking to elevate your membership to the next level, 2016 could be your year. As a member of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®, you will earn two Elite night credits for each night stay at participating Ritz-Carlton  properties between January 1 and December 31, 2016.

*Guests must be a member of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® at the time of their stay. Stays must be at a participating Ritz-Carlton® property between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. For each eligible night, members will receive two Elite night credits. Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for one Elite night credit. Nights stayed at a Ritz-Carlton property as a member of the Marriott Rewards® program are not eligible for double Elite night credit. Members can review their current status by logging into their account.

Does this mean I dont get two night for every night at ritz since I have Marriott rewards as my main account even tho i have the Ritz Carlton Rewards card?

Jsucool76 Gold

In my experience, you needed to be a member of RCR (as opposed to marriott) before the promo started.

Definitely worth calling up and seeing if you can get enrolled, but it's not likely.

nismoztuner Platinum

I also found an offer that Ritz has on their site (stay 10+ days, get 100k points+20k for having the RCRCC). so i called a while ago and asked for the offer first and was told that i can not get the offer because I am a Marriott Rewards member not Rtiz Rewards. so then i told the CSR "even if i have the Ritz Carlton Rewards CC?". she asked me when i was given the card and she went over my account and she said that she will give me the offer manually.For the nights i will get double nights but now my account was converted to a ritz account.

Hopefully by the time im done with my stays during my trip i can get back to just having a regular Marriott Rewards account 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...