I was thrilled when Marriott banned smoking in all properties in North America.
However, I recently stayed at the Residence Inn in Pontiac, MI and had to check out because of all the smoke. In one building the entire first floor corridor stank of smoke - I avoided using the elevator because of the air pollution. I eventually checked out after not being able to sleep one night because of the smoke coming in through the vents.
Disappointing that there are still properties in the Marriott universe where this social problem is not taken seriously. If people want to damage their own bodies I have no problem whatsoever, but when they damage other people's bodies it needs to be taken seriously.
It does happen and that's too bad. Until smoking is seen as a universal stigma and the fake cigarettes are gone, there will always be someone who needs a fix and smokes.
Perhaps you've noticed as I have the rush to the door with a cigarette in hand, as if it were going to explode if not lit at the moment the smoker went outside? I have and that gives all of us a chance to enjoy the aromas as we exit the building after them!
Making the hotel aware of the problem is a first step, and a good one, as is the development of more enforcement mechanisms and a no-escape fine policy for anyone violating the rules. Seems only fair to me and most other reasonable people, including smokers and nonsmokers alike.
As pointed out, and you experienced firsthand, it still happens occasionally even after a couple of years of being "smoke-free." But, it's still inexcusable. The fine is somewhat of a joke -- should be $2,500! I'd like to see Marriott publish some real data on how their enforcement has worked so far. And if reported and caught in the act, eviction without question must be the consequence. Send a strong message that smokers aren't welcome. Period!
As mentioned in an earlier post, tobacco smoke issues were experienced 1 out of 8-9 nights in 2009. Most were centered on check-in to a room contaminated by tobacco smoke and involved reassignment to another room. About 4 of the instances involved being moved 2x.
Over the past 2-3 months, I am pleased to say that Marriott properties have done a really good job of making sure that these incidents were not repeated. But it's a 2-way street. Prior to arrival, I call and request that someone check the room. Happily, this produced 100% guest satisfaction.
During my last week long stay at Marriott's Custom House in Boston, the only tobacco smoke related issue to report is the placement of the cigarette urns too close to the main entrance. Upon asking the Loss Prevention Manager about it, he pointed out that the urns tended to disappear when placed further than 2-3 feet from the entrance. There are several factors that contribute to this, but beyond the scope of this discussion.
Overall, Marriott does an extraordinary job of delivering a smoke-free environment for its associates and guests.