3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2016 6:58 PM by gk17 RSS

Paying for stay with gift card + points

brad0247 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am wondering if it is possible to pay for a 2-night stay using an e-certificate for the first night and a combination of a Marriott Gift Card and points for the second night.

Example:

Hotel: Residence Inn Ann Arbor Downtown

Category: 5

Room: Studio, 1 King

Rate: $249/night

Dates: July 15-17, 2016

Guests: 2

I would apply my e-certificate for a category 1-5 hotel for the first night, Friday, July 15. Then, I could apply my Marriott gift card balance of $119 to the cost of the second night, Saturday, July 16. Using points, I would pay the remaining balance of around $130.

Is this possible? If so, how many points would be deducted from my account for the equivalent of approximately $130?

If this is not possible, what options do I have that would accomplish something similar?

Can I use my e-certificate for the first night and pay with cash for the second when booking then upon check-in, show my Marriott gift card to the front desk and have the amount of the gift card credited back to my credit card? And then can I decide to cash in points for that charge to my credit card?

Finally, would I earn points for this stay? Under what conditions?

I am a Platinum Elite member -- would I earn elite night credit?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Paying for stay with gift card + points
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey brad0247! I've reached out to our greater team to look into the answers of your questions! I'll follow up with more info.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey brad0247,

I've been informed that you'll either have to use points (which you can buy if you do not have enough), or pay for the stay. The two cannot be combined. Let me know if you have any other questions!

vertol46 Platinum

I wonder if you could register for two separate visits on consecutive nights. Option to use your e-cert would appear when you registered for the first night. Then use points/cash to pay for the second. Go through the trouble of checking out and then back in again, but maybe the management would let you check out and then back in to the same room. Might be a work-around?

You should earn elite night credits for both nights, whether redeemed or paid, I believe.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

The problem here is that you can't use cash + points on single nights assuming you can even do that with gift cards (you might want to contact the property to see if this is possible). The way this works for Marriott is that you pay one night with cash/credit and another night with points. They don't split it per night like other hotels do. So in your case, you would need to decide whether you want to use that gift card or the points for the second night and use the e-certificate for the first night.

Another option would be to keep the free night (not recommended in your case especially at $249/night) if it's not expiring soon and use it another time. Then you can spend 25,000 points on one night and $249 on the other night (using your gift card and pay remaining balance).

Unless it's prepaid rate, you may just tell the frontdesk you intend to use a gift card when you check-in. The policy usually is when you checkout, you just tell them to charge it to your gift card and then the remaining balance on your credit card. They usually don't charge your credit card at check-in (only a hold).

My recommendation is to keep the gift card and redeem 25,000 Marriott points and use the e-certificate. Unless you must get rid of that Marriott gift card, save it for another day to use. 25K points for $249/night is a good deal in my personal opinion.

You should earn elite night credits for both nights regardless of the combination you use for the stay. Marriott made a change to count reward nights also now. You should only get points on the cash portion of your stay. So if you paid $249 for one of the nights, then that should earn you points.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...