11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2016 12:50 PM by brightlybob RSS

How can I redeem in Europe for family of four?

piccia Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I'm a Platinum member and have just joined the community here. I've been searching for a while and am not finding definitive answers to this question. I need to redeem in Amsterdam and Rome and possibly other cities for my myself and my wife and 2 kids. It seems advice is simply to call Marriott Rewards and discuss. But I would appreciate any other help in determining how to book rooms that can accommodate 4 people. We travel light and don't need highly spacious rooms, but searching renders zero availability anywhere if you put 4 guests into the search and include the 'use points' field.

I certainly don't want to start a thread for something that has been answered. By all means, link to threads that cover this if I haven't found the right thread.

Thanks very much,

Piccia

Brentwood, TN

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How can I redeem in Europe for family of four?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We ran into this problem with hotels in Hong Kong.  If you run a search for rooms there for 4 people, you come up with nothing.  So you probably want to book for 2-3 people and just try to get by in one room if you don't want to pay for 2 rooms.  This means you're going to be cramming 2 people into a tiny bed (i.e. a twin or single sized bed), or someone's going to be sleeping on the floor.  If you don't mind lugging one around, you could bring a blow up mattress to put on the floor.  We've done that in the past but haven't ever lugged one of those overseas.  Once and awhile you can find a room that has 2 doubles instead of 2 single/twin beds, but even those are a tight squeeze compared to a queen or kind bed as you'd get in the US.  If your kids aren't too big you might be ok with them sharing a double.  If you are larger people, then good luck!  Our kids are small, and we are both pretty average sized people, but the two of us adults tried to share a single bed in London once, and it wasn't anywhere near big enough!  Or you can spring for 2 rooms and try to get connecting rooms or rooms on the same floor.  In Europe you might be able to find rooms that truly do accommodate 4 people, but it's going to cost you in either points or money.  Not a bad idea to call MR though and see what they can do for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert

I would never do this.  It is not right and outright untruthful.  But why tell them about the kids?????

Again, I would never do this (again) mine are too old.................I am too old to remember if I ever lied to a hotel.  Knowing what an honest person I am I doubt I ever lied.  Okay, maybe once.   Or, ,maybe twice.  Or........not my fault I learned the trick from my parents - HELP I need therapy my parents made me lie!!!!!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

misterchk, I spent my entire youth hiding in cars outside seedy Route 66 type motels so that my dad could sneak us all into a hotel room meant for 2 and make us sleep on the floor.  Between that and sneaking our own candy into movie theaters or lying about my age to get discounted rates at attractions, my whole childhood was a lie!

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert  I like to believe that we became successful because of our humble upbringing.  

Unfortunately we end up spoiling our children who don't acquire the drive that we did to have the life that we didn't in our youth.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Being a former government employee I lied all the time, had to in order to keep my job!  But lie to a hotel, that is simply nothing I would have ever thought of doing.

Oh excuse me IAHFLYR, did you just remove that towel from your room?  Of course not, just relocating it to another property that is out of towels.

peymanagement Platinum

I think the best bet is to contact the hotel you want directly.

We tried to plan a Euro trip using points last summer with our grandchildren along and came up empty. The limiting factor was that there were few rooms that accommodated 4 in the hotel. It turned out better to pay.

piccia Platinum

Folks. First. Thank you for the replies. And for those who don't know, I thought I had been blocked from posting a question but I think it was because I'm new and it was late Sunday night. So my 'fire drill' go resolved. It's a bit of disappointment really. I had been Marriott loyal for all of 2015 specifically so I could redeem for a three week trip in Europe this summer. So I'm going to have to do a lot of calling to try to sort this out. I'm glad to be on the board here and look forward to having better luck with future redemptions.

All the best,

Piccia

letlowjl Gold

You are probably going to have to call and get advice or beg.  Having said that-One of my favorite Marriott's was the Renaissance in Amsterdam. Extremely friendly, and one of the best CL's I have ever used.  It's just a few blocks from Central station and easly walkable if kids can carry bags. Train from airport runs often.    A taxi from airport is around $60.  The hotel is a delight and they do have rooms suitable for 4.  It is within walking distance to Ann Frank house etc.  Also, you can catch tram all over town cheaply.

For what it's worth, this hotel is very accomadating and probably would not refuse you especially if the children are small.  I also checked and they will let you can book a room for 3 with points and a few dollars-with lounge access

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

TThere's a lot of nonsense going around here. Search redemptions for 2. Once you've narrowed down where you want to go then check out the twin rooms. Double doubles are fine, they'll take 4, but are less common here in the EU than in the USA. That will be your true limiter and applies across all hotels and all brands. Sorry, our EU hotels and rooms are just so much smaller than in USA. Not many hotels in the EU have rooms that can take 4, other than of course the expensive suites.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...