6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2016 8:58 AM by wb RSS

Waikoloa Beach Resort a Disappointment

wb Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I stayed the 6th and 7th of January 2016 at this hotel and came away with a bad taste in our mouths.  No one thing was overwhelming, but there was an accumulation of events that led me to believe that the hotel systematically cuts corners at every opportunity.  I have been Platinum Premier for several years and have on the high side of 1000 nights in various Marriott properties.  I suppose I anticipated some acknowledgement of that, but that turned out to be wishful thinking.  On arrival at about 11:30 am, I inquired about a upgrade.  I was told I would have to wait till 4 pm and see if they had rooms.  Fair enough, but I noticed the parking lot was only half full, so I was a bit suspicious.  I asked about the concierge lounge and was told there were none any any resorts.  I asked about breakfast arrangements for high status members such as is common at full service Marriotts.  None of that either.  This may well be Marriott policy.  This is the first time I stayed at a "Resort", and will probably be the last.  We then got a room with a view of the back side of another building.  They also pointed out that they were going to put a hold on my credit card for $75 per night to cover any expenses I might run up above my card limit.  Financially, this was not an issue for me, but it did make me feel that the property systematically regarded guests as possible deadbeats.  I'd never run into that anywhere else.  They told me all Marriotts do that, but if so, it was the first time anybody had said anything about that to me.  Probably a good idea in the eyes of their cost accountants, but did not do a lot to make one feel their loyalty is appreciated.  Next came the towel card.  To get a towel at the pool, we had to surrender our towel card, and were told that if we didn't bring those towels back , we would not get our towel card back, and would get no more towels for the stay.  If one checks out without their towel card, they are charged an extra $25 for the towels they lost or stole.  I will acknowledge a hotel has to hang onto their towels.  I didn't feel like they wanted to hang onto their customers quite as much.   The wireless was intermittent.  I never really nailed it down, but it seems that one has to re sign in every 8 hours as opposed to once a day at most properties.   I asked for a 1 PM check out, supposedly guaranteed  for Gold and Platinum members.  Not there.  I was told I could wait, packed and  ready to leave till 1100, and ask again  Their guarantee was strictly on a space available basis.  I pushed back at the desk and was told the agent would have to discuss it with his manager, and off he went.  The sensation was rather like negotiating to buy a car.   He came back and told me they would allow a 1PM check out this time.  Finally, when I checked my rewards account, I had accrued something on the high side of 1200 points total for the stay.  At $187 per night for just the room (not including parking, restaurants, gift shop etc) the point total should be (187*2*10)*1.5 plus the customary bonus.  This comes at a minimum to 5610.  By contrast, we had stayed one night in Honolulu at a Courtyard at $177 per night and got a higher point credit.  Not sure how they figured the award, but it seems really low.  All of these things are minor issues, but taken together they equaled a stay that was consistently annoying.  Not what one should expect from a Marriott  resort.  I cannot recommend this place.      

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Waikoloa Beach, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Waikoloa Beach Resort a Disappointment
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Really appreciate you taking the time to share this experience with us, @wb. I'd be happy to pass this on to our greater team and back to the property so that they know. If you'd like to speak with anyone on our customer care team, please don't hesitate to send me a private message with your contact information, and I can have someone reach out!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wb Platinum 5 Reviews

HI:  Thank you very much for your response.  I would appreciate someone showing me how the point award from this stay was calculated.  Either they are incorrect, or there is something about the calculation routine that I misunderstand.  Either is quite possible.  A review of the mathematics here would be a great help. Also, I would like to know what the "qualifying charges" are.  Do they include parking, purchases at the gift shop, and purchases at the coffee shop? I understand they do not include taxes.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I stayed at this property over the Christmas-new years time this 2015 into 2016. I have only been to one other Marriott resort, so maybe I had a bit of experience. I had booked the stay on points and I know from reading this site and from the hotel's info that :

1) Marriott resorts don't have lounges (even the one's in the Caribbean that used to have them 5 years ago don't anymore) (Please read the Marriott Rewards T&C's for gold & Elite's, the lounge/breakfast matter for resorts not being included is clearly carved out. If Resort is in the name, its really strong indicia of this)

2) No points or free breakfast (I am a life platinum)

3) cars in parking lot bear no relationship to occupancy. Many people take taxi's

4) Towel cards, while annoying, are part of the mix, we kept track (even with 2 kids) and ensured we returned towels each day

5) credit card holds - every hotel and rental car company does this. I just got back from London and Frankfurt and boy, did they place holds on my cc. Its SOP, next time you check in to a hotel, asl them and you will find out

6) late check out - Marriott are not like Hyatt or other chains, late checkout is at discretion of FD and rooms manager. next time, speak to rooms manager when you check in, they are much more business savvy and if you casually mention your status, they will work with you

7) on the points, yes, you appear to be short changed, based on the facts you present. Call the Marriott CS line for plats and let them do the leg work. I call at least on every third stay that seems to miss some points

8) Upgrades - at a resort, usually you can pay for it, usually a modest amount. I was able to upgrade my points stay to a larger corner room, ocean/pool view for $50/night. I called 6 weeks before and spoke to the room manager, I cannot find the name now, but very nice, worked with me and made this happen with minimal fuss.

I can tell you I rarely get a free upgraded on a paid stay anywhere in the USA (Hawai'i being the 50th state after all) so that was why, on the one big family vacation I take each year, I set up dates in my calendar, do the calls and make the arrangements so we have matched expectations.

You are entitled to your views and do feel free to vent, but doing a small amount of research and preparation would go a long way in ensuring you have a great stay. I have over 3,000 Marriott nights and 30+ years of travel under my belt, so maybe I have learned a thing or two along the way.

I have my own beefs with Marriott (point devalue, property category raises that don't seem justified, and I could go on, but why, they are all laid out elsewhere on this site).

In closing, we had a great time at this resort, but we went in with eyes wide open, knew what to expect and had no "entitlement" view since we knew that the resorts don't provide many of the Platinum amenities

I do hope that the hotel gave you the platinum slip for the 2 free coffee/mai tai's, the discounts, etc. we used many of them. If they didn't, then I suggest you tell that to Marriott CS as they are supposed to give you the list of Plat bennies, meager tho they may be

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's disappointing @wb, though as stelzer001 has stated, resorts do indeed omit many of the benefits that elite enjoy at other full service properties.  Marriott is no exception to this rule, as many Starwood and Hyatt resorts in the islands have no lounges and whatnot as well, the Hyatt Waikiki, and recently, the Sheraton Waikiki being the exceptions. 

Though experiences may vary, I'd caution you to avoid the Wailea Beach Marriott as well.  I paid for an ocean view room and contacted the property ahead of time requesting that receive an ocean view room with a good view since 1) it was our wedding anniversary and 2) I'm a platinum elite.  I do this enough to know that given status, humility, kindness, and a legitimate special event, most properties will oblige with complimentary upgrades too.  However, at the Wailea Marriott, they stuck me in a moldy "ocean view" room that really just had a view of trees and was located next to the noisy luau/party lawn.  I was extremely disappointed to say the least, especially since I had paid for the room category. 

In a different twist, I'll be staying at the Andaz Maui (Hyatt) as a mid-tier Hyatt Platinum next month and the hotel's website states that upgrades within one's purchased room categories are the only ones allowed for Platinums as the property is too popular. 

I will say that I've never had a problem securing an upgrade at the Waikiki Beach Marriott, the Courtyard King Kamehameha Kona Hotel, or the Courtyard Waikiki. 

fistuk Platinum

My personal negative opinion on the Waikoloa Marriott resort goes for its facilities:

1. Its beach is VERY disappointing - it's all rocky and no satisfaction in getting in the water. No option to properly enjoy the sea.

2. The pools are too hot - in this kind of weather they shouldn't allow the water to feel like its heated as an indoor pool in the winter.

3. This whole resort feels like there aren't too many facilities to accommodate all its guests...

BTW, this resort is about to be converted to a vacation club in the near future.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good Morning everyone - 3:44AM Pacific Time and (due to old age) couldn't sleep.

Saw this subject being discussed and can't help jumping in!

Our family stayed there a few years ago immediately after both sections and the lobby renovations were completed.  From "minute one" of our arrival we felt that we were staying at a 3 star resort!

It appears nothing has changed at reception.  We also felt we were treated as we were guilty of "something" before our registration was complete.  We experienced the same credit card issues and even a "warning" that our daughter was the age we say she was (children at that time ate for free if under 11 or 12 - don' t know if that policy is still in force).

I could go on and on but I would be repeating what has already been said above.

The point I would like to make is a comparison of this property with one of my favorite Marriott "resorts".  The Kauai Marriott (Lihue)  would fall into the same category - the difference is you are treated as if it is a 5 star property from the moment of arrival through the day of departure.

The Kauai property is one of the best examples I could give (based on personal experience) where a property's "star" rating (although intangible) is raised due to exceptional staff.

Last word - we were reserved for a ten night stay at Waikoloa.  On the morning of the third day my family decided to leave - we were fortunate enough to secure space at Ko Olina - and enjoyed the balance of the vacation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...