24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2016 10:16 AM by homoviator RSS

Hilton Launches New Budget Chain For Young Guests - Thoughts?

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just saw this on MSN.COM.

It seems as if Hilton is trying to attract young guests at a new budget hotel. Just from the photo, I'm not interested, but, then again, I guess I'm not young anymore!   If it's designed to compete with Fairfield Inns, it will be interesting to see how popular it becomes. I'd hate to see Marriott follow suit and reconfigure or rebrand the Fairfield Inn brand to be something more along these lines.

Hilton launches new budget hotel chain aimed at young guests

I'm interested in what the rest of my fellow Insiders think.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hilton Launches New Budget Chain For Young Guests - Thoughts?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Here in Europe Accor is already doing this via its Ibis Budget brand. I'm not a fan, rooms are small, beds metal and sponge, windows are tiny. Yuk. But it is cheap. Marriott has entered this market in conjunction with IKEA via the Moxy brand which looks quite a bit happier/hippier than Ibis. The idea of an entry brand isn't bad, but Hilton and Marriott need to be careful that they dont undermine or cheapen their flagships. Tough balancing act.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I agree with your analysis, brightlybob. I'm also not sure that getting young people to stay in such an entry level brand will result in overall brand loyalty as they get older, which, at least according to the article, is part of Hilton's goal. Thanks also for your perspectives from a European viewpoint regarding Accor and its Ibis brand.

chris.s Gold

I really like the Fairfield brand but I was told at my last stay that the hotel I frequent is going to be a beta-site next month for a new breakfast model for the brand. I think they are getting rid of the waffle makers and pint size milks while trying to add more fresh fruit options. I'll let you know if I notice any onerous changes beyond that.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

They are going where the money is going to be . If they focus the millenniums into their loyalty programs they will upgrade to more expensive hotels as they either have more money or get into companies that will cover. I think the w although not as cheap could be Marroitt entry as it is not just the room rates but style and amenities that attract millenniums . I saw mr Marroitt on tv a few weeks ago saying millenniums will be most of the guest in 10-15 years. I like many on here would  not go there myself but my days of paid travel Will be much shorter than the 20 something .

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I agree with you jerryl.  As a shareholder, I'd recommend that Marriott follow such a strategy, as long as they don't alter the existing brands and drive away, older guests (like me)!

Hi Jerryl - I think you're right on the money. What will be interesting is if millennials, as their income increases, will expect full-line properties like JW's, Marriotts, Renaissance to have the same "vibe" as the W's and this new concept from Hilton. If so, some group of customers will be disappointed. I just hope it's not us baby boomers!

Hi Chris - That's really interesting. I'm kind of curious as to what they will be doing. I'll be looking forward to your update.

seatexan Platinum

Are they trying to entice 12-16 year olds? "wow" "ooh" "bam"... This looks like Dylan's candy store, but slightly less color.  I would consider young travelers to be in their 20's (I am not too far above that).  This looks like a place for young teens... Here in the states at least, young teens don't go staying at places on their own. I think you have to be at least 18 to even get a room.

My friends are in their 20s and early 30s and this would not entice them. 

I stayed at a Fairfield in Natchitoches La.  My first time at FF...and I did NOT like the interior.  :S  The service was at least pleasant.  It was the ONLY Marriott there so... I stayed.

I have checked out Moxy before to see the design of the spaces and I think they are way more with the times than Hilton's Tru. Good job Marriott!

Thank you for your perspective, Sea Texan. As I don't have a lot of friends in their 20's and early 30's anymore, I'm especially interested in your view that the Hilton scheme would not be of interest to them. I'm glad to see that the Hilton design might be a bit much even for them.

peymanagement Platinum

Looks like Disney All Star motels.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I concur with everyone else that has posted already.  My impression is that it will be what I consider a studio apartment in a large city.  Hooks on the wall for clothing?  No closet?  Personally, I'm not a fan.  I don't live in a studio apartment, never did, and certainly won't pay money to rent one for a night.  Yes, there is certainly a market for affordable lodging!  But even the photo of the lobby makes me want to avoid it at all costs because my first thoughts were "teenager" and "bubblegum."  I'm a budget traveler, but I'd rather skip the chaos -- that lobby looks the opposite of peaceful if you ask me!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Think all the chains are trying to figure out what makes this segment click. I think it covers up until early thirties . What will work i dont know but for everything i have read they are not your grandfathers olds . I do stay at FF on occasion but to me it really reminds me more of a dorm a bed, desk, dresser and closet . It will be interesting to see how it unfolds and i dont see any chain changing their higher end brands

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good afternoon to my featured insider jerryl - when time permits I would love to know what a featured insider does, what are they paying you and does your contract include a retirement plan.

Now to my thoughts on Hilton's new brand.

Now that I am a proud member, with Diamond Status in the highly regarded organization HH I have been quite active.  I now have a total in HH of  zero nights and zero points........One of the reason for these massive amounts is the over population of budget brands in the Hilton chain. Further more the rates of these budget properties are, when I have checked, higher than those of FF and Spring Hill in the same neighborhood.

This new brand would have to be pretty special in quality (not luxury obviously) as I find the quality of bedding and amenities in FF and SpringHill to be quite satisfactory when I have stayed at those brands.

To some up the request "thoughts" that I have:  it better be special or it will face much competition from Marriott/Starwood and the other chains.

seatexan Platinum

I JUST asked our intern what he thought of this property and also showed him Moxy.  He said, hands down Moxy! if they were somewhat comparable then he liked Moxy better.

He told me that Tru was too child like.  Our intern is 22 year old mechanical engineer.

He asked me for the link to Moxy.  New Orleans is getting one sometime in 2016 and he wanted to check out. 

homoviator Platinum

The Moxys are very fun and do speak to the 20-30 year olds and some 40 year-olds who act more like 20.  The have a vibe very much like the Aloft hotels.  I'd love to see more pop up State-side, like a a lot more.  Ditto with the AC hotels (more of a 30-50 year-old crowd). I love them in Spain, especially. 

The Tru line is interesting because I can see this weird mix where young kids want to stay there but so do millennials; however, they want to stay there without kids there.  I sort of feel this way about Springhills.  I really like their hotels because they offer exactly what I need for about 50% of my trips, big, newish room, a gym and breakfast in the am that isn't too prepackaged.  But the kids drive me crazy there.  I've started going to Marriotts just to escape the crazy kids. 

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Here are several more renderings of the design concept:

Tru ext rendering.jpg

Tru lobby.jpg

The lobby -- those suspended plastic sofas on the right make my hiney sore just lookin' at 'em.

Tru desk.jpg

Hotel or cineplex?

chris.s Gold

My kids (ages 8 to 13) would think this would be a cool place to stay. So I'm going to predict that at this low price point Hilton ends up getting a disproportionate number of families staying at Tru and millenials will end up avoiding it to stay away from little kids.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...