16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2016 5:39 PM by lindseyh RSS

Help...Marriott rewards member whose room was robbed by housekeepers

bucky76034 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Has anyone ever had their room robbed while staying at Marriott? I have stayed in 100's of Marriott rooms and never had it happen but it did on Christmas Eve last year. My wifes wedding ring was stolen from our room at the Fairfield Inn in Williamsburg VA while we were out of the room sometime between 10AM and 6PM. We filed a police report and an initial investigation found only 2 keys swiped into the room during this time...the housekeeper and there supervisor.

We since have learned from the police detective that this particular hotel has had numerous reported thefts over the last 3 months and has been under continued surviellance and investigation. Unfortunatly, my ring has not been recovered and nearly 1 month later the case is still open. The hotels manager, Cathy Patton has been of NO help and basically blamed me for the ring being stolen. She no longer will return any of my phone calls or emails. The hotels insurance company (Hartford) called me back within 2 hours of receiving the case and denied it telling me they found no fault of the hotel.

Do i have any hope here for anything? I dont even know who to contact to try and escalate the situation. If you are ever in Williamsburg VA, avoid this particular hotel at ALL costs.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Williamsburg, Virginia, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsburg
  • Re: Help...Marriott rewards member whose room was robbed by housekeepers
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear this, bucky76034! Please - send me a private message with your contact information, and the check-in/check-out dates of your stay. I'll pass this on so that we can look into this further!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bucky76034 Member

Hi lindseyh,

I am trying to send you a personal message but having no luck. It maybe my computer operating system? Can you send me your email in a PM and i will try that way???

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

bucky76034, I am sorry to hear about this.  Do you have renter's or homeowner's insurance that would cover this loss?  Or maybe trip insurance might cover it?  Did you rent the room with a credit card that has any type of insurance coverage?  United Club Card, Citi AAdvantage Executive Card, and Barclay's Aviator cards all have built-in trip insurance that covers all sorts of things in case you might have used one of those cards. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

This is appalling.  I have never had a problem of this sort, but would expect Marriott to do something, especially since the hotel seems to have a history with the police.

Platinum 28 Reviews

My compatriot clebert certainly gave the best advice for negating the monetary loss (Although not in the insurance business I grew up in the business as my father fielded these calls almost every night as his clients faced losses).  All home/renters policies will cover with the listed deductible  The bad news of course is the sentimental value.

What bothers me the most about this is the computer records of access to the room.  This incident "smells" (very strongly) of  organized theft including employee involvement.

The other  problem is the ownership/management situation at the property - I might be wrong, but I believe all or at the least 90% of all Fairfields are franchises.. Marriott is only concerned that the property follow protocols and certain levels of quality.

This is a good example where the property should be advised that this site is ready and able to "advertise" to our community the chronic problems at this property that are placing guests in ""harms way".  This should be used to pressure the property in covering any monetary loss over and above the policy agreement.

bucky76034 Member

Yes i am not done with the property. I am just trying to exhaust all my avenues before i have to file with my insurance. Why should i have to make my homeowners ins pay when the hotel was completely at fault?

peymanagement Platinum

I use Amex Platinum/gold credit card and it covers this. I also have MR Visa but have never checked that policy. It is disgusting that your room was broken into. I travel a lot as you probably do. You are providing all of us a lesson. I have walked down hall in our hotels to my room and observed my door wide open during cleaning. It would be easy by a professional to distract the housekeeper while an accomplice stole my laptop. Based on your post I will be more careful.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

That sounds very bad, as misterchk has remarked, insurance should cover the monetary loss, but not the sentimental value. I would definitely post your experience on TripAdvisor, since an accumulation of such reviews indicates a real problem as opposed to guest absent mindedness which is the usual assumption.

bucky76034 Member

And yes i plan on posting on every forum (travel and hotel) that i can possibly find. Its one of the benefits of social media nowadays.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

So sorry to learn about the loss of the wedding ring, so very sad.

misterchk is correct, with them having the room key information and to do nothing about it is smelling really bad.  The Police also should be more active in using this information to get a warrant and search the entire place as well as the employees homes who had room access.  If either of those or another person who may have entered the room during the time in question did in fact take the ring it is sure to be in some pawn shop by now which also should be checked.

And of course there is no safe in the room either....come on Marriott put safes in ALL your property rooms for crying out loud.

bucky76034 Member

Totally agree about the safes. Its funny, but the GM basically blamed me for not using the front desk safety deposit box.Ok, we are still kicking ourselves for forgetting the ring in the room but to place blame on me just adds salt to the wound

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Tell the GM to go back to GM school and learn how to take responsibility for the property among a few other choice words I'll leave out of this post.

peymanagement Platinum

Interesting the only time that I ever lost anything through hotel room theft was 500 dollars out of the in room safe.

That was a Best Western and I was compensated. Not the full amount, but I was compensated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...