24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2016 10:12 AM by cyclonejones RSS

Automatic status renewal by Marriott!

fistuk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As always, status changes occur after the 31st of January.

Since I didn't make 75 nights this year I was quite sure I'll have to either buy back my status or ask for a challenge at the beginning of next month. However, I just spoke to customer care on the phone and by the way asked them regarding my status expiry date. I thought I'll hear it's going to be downgraded starting February 1st, but I was surprised to hear that my platinum status was renewed for another year - until 2017!

Since I wasn't notified about this and occasionally just found out, I asked how did this wonderful thing happened?

Here's what I was told:

Marriott's corporate office reviews all statuses at the end of each year and based on three years of elite nights earning they decide if to extend our statuses or not. Because I did 160+ nights during the last three years I was qualified to get a platinum extension!!

This goes the same way for gold and silver statuses (total amount of nights required decreases accordingly, not sure how many required for each though...).

So if you're unaware of your status faith don't buy it back or ask for a challenge until you made sure it wasn't extended automatically.

Absolutely good news!!! 

Message was edited by: fistuk UPDATE: I managed to acquire the missing info, so here are the full details of the tenure renewal promotion (based on 3 years of elite nights earnings): Platinum Elite Level: earned 160+ Nights. Gold Elite Level: earned 99+ Nights. Silver Elite Level: earned 25+ Nights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Automatic status renewal by Marriott!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriott has the highest requirement for top tier of any of the schemes, but many different ways to get there and keep it. Platinum/Gold extension is one of them, along with rollovers and buybacks. 

Good news indeed!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jay-mariott Platinum

Very nice to hear! And thanks for sharing - we tend to post about our negative experiences but hearing about these are just as important!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I was also automatically renewed as Platinum even though I had only 69 nights.  I had expected to have to call and plead my case, but was pleasantly surprised to receive notice that I had been renewed.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

How did you receive the info? Email?

Last year when I went to buy back my status they told me they had already extended it, so I'm doubting they'll do it again, but I'm just curious how you guys are finding out about it.

In reality, I'm pretty much ok with dropping to Gold as the difference with Platinum is pretty minimal.

cyclonejones Gold

Wow, you got lucky. I had 68 night last year and didn't get it.

thecentury303 Platinum

Good for you. Congratulation!

gatilla007 Silver

Nice! Good to hear Marriott rewards loyalty

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Congratulations on your renewal!

stratman560 Platinum

I Got my extension as well.  Only 52 or so nights, but low and behold, Platinum for 2016.  Not sure if holding the credit cards count or have any bearing in how they determine this, but I have both Marriott and Ritz.  Either way, it was a nice surprise.

dgb1228 Gold

I wish I had as much luck as you. I had 72 nights at the end of 2015 and was not aware I would lose status as a result. I was 3 stays away from Platinum staying at the same hotel every week from July to the end of the year. Then I find out that I was credited 22 nights carried over to 2016 which means I need 28 nights to get back to gold status and another 53 night to obtain Platinum. Since I stayed 72 nights in 2015 and require another 53 nights in 2016 it looks like I need to stay 125 nights now to obtain Platinum. This does not seem like a fair solution for what was up until now a loyal customer. I called the rewards line and got no help, I asked about the Platinum challenge because I have heard about this from Colleagues and the girl on the phone acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. She said she could talk to her supervisor but if they do anything for me they will remove all my carryover nights. It sounded like a threat to me. If I had stayed 75 nights in 2015 and obtained Platinum status would you remove all stays? I doubt you do that to you Platinum members?

The rewards group did not seem to care too much about my situation since I am just one individual. If I'm able to negotiate the same rate and we change hotels it will be my whole team not just me, that relocates.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry it didn't work out for you. AFAIK, the rollover nights only help you to achieve status the following year. So if you achieved Platinum via a challenge they would be useless anyway.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi dgb1228.  Welcome to the Insiders Forum!  As you may have seen, this is a great place to discuss all things travel related.  From sharing your recommendations and experiences to learning the ins and outs of the Rewards program, we cover it all.  I'm carat and I moderate the community along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us.  We're always here to help! I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look. 

Getting Started Guide

In regards to your post, I'd like to help provide a some support.  I've gone ahead and reached out via private message, please let me know if you haven't received it. 

Looking forward to hearing more from you around the community!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Think you're confused dgb1228.

YOu need 75 qualifyng nights for Plat, not 125! Don't misinterpret this thread as suggesting the targets have increased, they haven't! What fistuk is saying is that if you're a Plat who has stayed 165 nights over the past 3 years youll be renewed Plat even if you didn't get to 75 in 2015.

I Would call again to see if they'll compliment you Plat as you got so close, but if not then your choices are to buyback plat  at 40,000 points which is generally worthwhile for those who stay about 50 1-or-2-night stays or more pa spending more than $200/nt which is therefore mainly FS hotels. Alternatively you can wait until your status reduces to Gold in late Feb and then ask for a Platinum status challenge.

IN reality, whilst the extra points of Plat are great the meat of Marriott Rewards is in Gold with its room upgrades, lounge access and free breakfasts. I've deliberately made status stays, or small meetings to retain Gold, which I would desperately avoid losing, but wouldn't bother to make that kind of effort for Plat.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You have 22 rollover nights so all you need is 53 nights to get Platinum for the remainder of 16 and all of 17.  If you have a MR VISA, and charge $3,000 each month, that will get you 27 nights and you will need to stay only 26 more nights to reach Platinum.  Your 125 night figure has no basis in reality!

Regardless, I would call the Elite line back, and ask if they could comp you with Platinum for 2016.  I'd be surprised if they turn you down, when you are so close.  I have rarely been negatively surprised when I approached the elite line with a polite request for any sort of accommodation. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

fistuk, I missed platinum this year by only 4 nights.  If MR doesn't renew my platinum, I'll be giving my shiny new HHonors diamond status a workout in 2016.  Hilton has plenty of top tier properties at all the places I"ll be traveling this year, so it won't be any skin off my back to make a change if I have to.

fistuk Platinum

clebert,

If you missed platinum by only 4 nights than you should call customer service and they will renew it for you anyhow (because you're close enough).

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

fistuk, well it is Feb.1 and I am still platinum so maybe there is hope.  I'd just as soon stick with Marriott since I know the system.

fistuk Platinum

Waking up into a platinum morning is always good 

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Is it typically the beginning or end of February that a drop occurs?

fistuk Platinum

Begining

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Sweet! Looks like I made the cut after all.

jl3549 Platinum

I missed it by 6 nights or so, but am still platinum as of this morning, hoping it was auto-renewed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...