11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2016 2:28 PM by melissaerb RSS

What type of resort goer are you?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

Let’s talk resorts Insiders!

When you visit a tropical destination, do you hang by the pool/beach every day and bask in all the amenities the resort has to offer? Or do you partake in off-site activities like guided day tours, scuba diving, snorkeling, boat rides, parasailing, ATV tours, swimming with dolphins, etc.?

I always do at least one off-site activity, and try to make it an all-day event if possible. If I can find one that involves diving into the local culture, that’s even better! I love seeing how locals live, learning about their history, and of course, eating their native food

When my boyfriend and I went to Riviera Maya earlier this year, we went on a day tour called Coba Maya Adventure to the ancient ruins (more about our experience climbing the ancient pyramid Nohuch Mu on this thread: https://www.rewards- insiders.marriott.com/people/joshm/blog/2015/08/12/cocktail-party-travel-stories).

The entire day was amazing, but one of the most special parts was a ceremony with an old healer (shaman) of the village. He said a prayer, burned local flowers and spices, and "blessed" us all. After that, we ate a home-cooked lunch from the women of the village that included a chicken stew, corn tortillas that were made right in front us, different salsas and black beans. It was absolutely delicious, and it was fascinating to get a quick snapshot into their daily lives by visiting the village. That day trip also included rappelling down a mountainside, zip lining over a lake, kayaking, swimming in beautiful fresh water cenotes (which were SO beautiful), and the tour of Coba. The trip was adventure filled & well-rounded, and we’d recommend it to anyone visiting the area!

Not an Insider yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to post

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What type of resort goer are you?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

This will tell you what type of resort goer we were on this most recent trip.  Make sure to start with the first and progress through.  The only off site thing we did not do that we'd normally take in was a sunset sail.

Re: JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa Review, Part 4 The Last Night and Summary

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Oh, you can bet I was following parts 1-4 as you posted! What an amazing trip you had! I love that you took full advantage of what the JW had to offer. It looks so incredibly relaxing by that pool, and I love that you ventured out a few times. Mi Casa Restaurant looked so authentic, I love that you got the seat by the fountain (and were sipping on huge margaritas)!  

Can you go on vacation again soon please so we can all have vacation envy??

deannad,

Glad you enjoyed reading them and yes, Mi Casa' was very good and fun as well.

Can I, sure if you make me head off someplace.  I do have a quick trip that I just returned from that I'm going to attempt to get a blog done about today.  Nothing fancy more of a "here's what IAH did" type thing.

vertol46 Platinum

Let me in the water. Then let me explore local culture and eat delicious food. This is what I've booked for next fall:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/gcmgc-grand-cayman-marriott-beach-resort/http://

Ahhhhh Grand Cayman is definitely on my list! You have to post your adventures on Insiders once you're back!

You mean this place?

P1010675.JPG

Much better view to the right out the balcony than the left, left was very very disappointing for a Jr. Suite

P1010683.JPG

But we loved getting the little beach chairs and a drink each night for incredible sunsets

P1010769.JPGP1010774.JPGP1010763.JPG

deannad does this count toward your order earlier to take another vacation?

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

Used to be a Puerto Rico Marriott resort person but now that they lost the CL I am a Harbor Beach Marriott person much closer and right on the beach unlike any other Ft Lauderdale hotel.   The Sea Level bar is a great a hang out with great bar staff

gatilla007 Silver

deannad we try to get the most use of the resort amenities (read: drinks by the pool + spa!) but we do enjoy venturing out to do more authentic activities, so more like 50/50. But you seem to know how to maximize your resort adventures! Keep enjoying life!

Yes the beloved spa trip at a resort! I love getting massages and have found that a lot of spas offer discounts if you get more than one or opt for the biggest package - I'm a sucker when it comes to pampering. I also try and save massages for the last days of the vacation in case I have sunburn and they can give soothing gel to help heal

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great topic, deannad! As I write this, I am staring out the window looking at a pile of snow... dreaming of sun & sand!! 

I think it all depends on who you are traveling with.  I tend to be more active when I am traveling with friends, but definitely enjoy lounging with some tropical beverages in hand.  I'm the type of person that wants to be on or in the water, so any activity that is along those lines, I'm in!  

After reading IAHFLYR JW Los Cabos experience, I now have a place I MUST visit.  Time to start the planning!!

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Since I live in Hawaii, I am really not a huge tropical resort goer. Sun is not usually a motivator for me when I'm planning a trip.. I would rather go somewhere that has great history and/or great food. Maybe I will feel differently when we're back in Oregon though!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...