83 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2016 6:50 AM by ramoneur RSS

WHAT ARE THE REASON MEMBERS WITHHOLD INFORMATION ON THEIR PROFILE

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

MANY MEMBERS WITHHOLD INFORMATION FROM THEIR PROFILE THAT WOULD NOT INVADE IN ANYWAY THEIR PRIVACY.  THERE ARE SO MANY THAT DON'T WANT US TO KNOW:

1. What Age Group They Are In

2. What City is Their Home

3  Their background

4. Sex - (not practices - just which one of the 3)

I would be interested in knowing why you feel it necessary to withhold this information.  A discussion is so much easier when we get an idea of who we are speaking to, and/or to understand many of your complaints, complements and opinions.

This question is posed by me and what would make it easier for me to enter a serious discussion.  I do though, assume many other members have the same concern.

If this is merely an oversight on your part please complete the questions that won't invade your privacy.  If you have a reason I would appreciate a description.  There might be valid reasons for desire to withhold the information. 

Thanks..

Misterchk

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WHAT ARE THE REASON MEMBERS WITHHOLD INFORMATION ON THEIR PROFILE
    Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I withhold to try to stay somewhat anonymous - of course in a weak moment I will break that 'rule'.  I figured the less I tell the safer I may be.

Also, being a woman traveling, it's best to not identify too much about myself.

Interesting topic!

Kim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

Frogs

I assume when making a reservation you don't register under "frogs" - Would your age range endanger your anonymity?

I also tried to remain anonomys for a long time - then I started hanging out in the wrong crowd and privacy went down the drain.

Consequently it has forced me to list erroneous information - if you can keep a secret I am really only 22 yrs old, work on an assembly line,  the MR account is my father;s as I have never set foot in a Marriott.

Also I relocated to El Centro, CA  (many nice motels - the best is the Motel 5.1).

Anyone finds out about this Frogs, I know who to tell my cousin Alfonso to take care of!!!!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

True, Frogs does keep me anonymous.  Didn't even take that into consideration.  Someone with good stalking and hacking skills could probably figure out who I am. 

My crowd is pretty laid back and unobtrusive so I am leaving it up to this group to try its best to pull me to the other side!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I must extend an apology to wesleywc.

Information has come to my attention that has caused wesleywc to post erroneous and sarcastic info.

He has assured me that this isn't a "coup" to take the Sarcastic and Obnoxious crown off my head.

The fact is that wesleywc and his family are in witness protection -  in other words don't get too close to him.  When the shots get fired there could be collateral damage.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Terms and Conditions say:

"Please keep your personal information personal. If you want to share your personal information with another member of the community, do so via email or some other private message."

So I thought that probably meant that you weren't supposed to be telling people your real name, address, etc.

I live in the middle of nowhere USA and have a place in small town FL, so if I told you where, you'd know who I am and you'd ask if I turned the lights out when I left town.  (Yes, I have heard that joke before, and no, it's not funny).

I'm also a lawyer, so if you knew that, you'd be asking me for free legal advice.  OOPS!!! TOO LATE NOW.  I am doomed.  But was there any doubt after revealing that I actually read the terms and conditions of this website?

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

OK, I entered some more info..... Do I win a free night at a level 1 hotel now???!!!!

jt15550 Platinum

They say "you're only as old as you feel."  And unfortunately for me, the drop-down doesn't go to 127.

ramoneur Platinum

because (automatic mining of) data/information is profitable and a real threat;

of course, a specific attack, of a hacker that concentrates on you solely, is hard to counteract upon,

esecially when he/she combines this with some social engineering

but regarding the automatic data gathering bots and algorithms I am proud to be - and stay - a hard target

I sometimes google myself;

I almost do not exist :-)

Platinum 28 Reviews

Forgive me but your reasons don't hold water if you adhere to the questions asked.

Everyone is talking about privacy issues etc, remaining anonomys etc etc etc

The facts are: there is no danger in listing the city where you live, the age group you are in and if you are male or female.

If you believe, as many seem to, that the info listed above will invade your privacy I suggest that you line your windows with aluminum foil to keep the CIA and Martians knowing what you are having for dinner - an exercise (dinner) which is what I am going to do right now!! 

ramoneur Platinum

please forgive me my straightforwardness

but in this case you are totally wrong

every piece of personal information is potentially disastrous

[edit]

I have taken out some of this post

people who want to know what I wrote: go see the series MR ROBOT

[/edit]

and no,

before you bark/ask,

I don't wear an aluminum hat,

it interferes with the messages I receive from the big giant head which compromises my mission on Earth

3rfts.jpg

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

So are you a figment of our imagination? 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I try not to google myself. People can be so unkind

Platinum 28 Reviews

True story:  an acquaintance of mine Googled himself and came across an obituary with the exact same name and same city of birth. 

The deceased was about 20 years older.  She was quite surprised she didn't receive more phone calls (she did receive approximately a dozen telephone calls).

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I haven't knowingly, not because I dont care, but because my name is my trade I'm afraid I'm fair game. My publicly quoted email address receives hundreds of offers daily for ***** extensions and to make me a millionaire by helping some poor unfortunate get his money out of Nigeria!

Now, I'm not very good at this interwebthingy, so might not have filled in all the boxes on marriott.cm

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Anonymity is a good thing on the internet.  Some here do actually know my name, but a very select gang and in a metro area with with lots of trees and some 5.5 million if you find me it's okay, but you'll have to cut through that humidity that this misterchk speaks of as well.  I do hope we get a cool front in mid September just because!:

I also notice many Insiders listing travel dates.....well not me.  I'll give a broad area of time and only when I return will you know when I was gone, also why at times I will not be on Insiders for a few days just to keep those who may be interested in less than honest things off their feet.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I am hopeful that most understand that I never wanted anyone to include their name, address or phone number.......The only info I like to know is what part of the world they live in, their age group and (least important) their gender..............AS my friend ramoneur has clearly detailed, every bit of info can eventually lead to "discovery" - consequently all should be vigilant !   (unfortunately many of us, including "moi" are already paranoid)

ramoneur Platinum

>AS my friend ramoneur has clearly detailed

thank you :-)

BTW:

I deleted the detailed examples because in my view people should have a choice to stay in the dark about this

It is a scary world out there, believe you me

but for 99,99% of the people given examples will never apply

and it is very easy to get really paranoid about this

and don't get me started about what sorts of digital contraptions big nations with unlimited military funds can build nowadays

we live in interesting times

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I strongly agree with you  IAHFLYR about not putting out travel dates on any social media.  It's one of the best ways to have your home robbed.  I actually have put my full name on this site a few times, but I'm not the only one with my name in my home town.

Actually, though, I don't think that misterchk is correct when he says "unfortunately many of us, including "moi" are already paranoid."  It is actually fortunate that we are at least a bit paranoid. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

Lately I have been proud of myself - who can start a "thread" asking why won't someone list the city they live in and their age and I am chastised by 50% of the membership.  They complain I don't know what damage they would be causing.  Putting their families in danger, etc etc etc............! Telling me the damage that giving out their name and address would open them to.  EVEN THOUGH I NEVER SUGGESTED THEY LIST THAT INFO.  Then there are those souls that agree with me - many for the wrong reasons.

Whatever I write is either misunderstood or members are not reading through what I said or just can't read (????). AND everything is written in simple English

What this adds up to is I evidently am supplying a service - the way I am critized or applauded must mean I'm bringing up issues that are important as well as motivating responses.

Which leads me to comment on my friend Phctourist's statement about paranoia.  I don't want to be even a little paranoid. I remember the days where privacy and the invasion of, was never a concern or worry.  Consequently the day stated with no one understanding the points I'm attempting to talk about and the day is ending with no change.

But, this is actually fun for me.  If you stop seeing my posts you will know that I am either dead or it stopped being fun!!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think that I am an old timer compared to most.  I did put my info in my profile.  A long time ago some creep started sending private emails that were not appropriate, commenting that they read my profile.  It created an uncomfortable situation on this site.  Others got them too.  I removed all personal information and never put it back.  Like others I have revealed bits of info in posts and to a few, they know my real name.  It is a shame that we have to be cautious but in this day, it seems to be a must.  I am one how doesn't believe in judging and feel each to his own in whether one adds personal info and others can do as they choose.  It would be nice if others had the same attitude.

Platinum 28 Reviews

COMMENT ON THIS POST:

What I thought was a simple question is turning into a minor controversy - I guess I can't stay out of trouble!!

(years from now I post many of the private messages I have received)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Simple. We are used to many sites using this kind of information to target our e-mails with spam or pop up targeted ads all over the Internet. Also the more information we put out the easier we are to identify as actual people. I can guarantee you that burglars watch travel sites hoping to glean enough information to find who is not going to be home.

Platinum 28 Reviews

@john_thai

Where have you been - I filed a missing persons report...........

As to your comments I am "pasting what I wrote earlier:

"I am hopeful that most understand that I never wanted anyone to include their name, address or phone number.......The only info I like to know is what part of the world they live in, their age group and (least important) their gender..............AS my friend ramoneur has clearly detailed, every bit of info can eventually lead to "discovery" - consequently all should be vigilant !   (unfortunately many of us, including "moi" are already paranoid)"

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

As a career-long public servant (teacher), my mug, location, and occupation have been out there in cyberspace for (literally) decades, and I’ve never encountered a problem as a result. So I see little cause for alarm or worry over the mostly innocuous details included in an MRI profile. And as you’ve stated, it helps in getting to “know” someone, even if only in an online, somewhat superficial way.

As for me, it’s like this:

Hometown: Yes, I grew up here, which may explain a lot, particularly the drawl and my affinity for all things UGA (Go Dawgs!).

Age: I recently turned 60, and I’m proud of that, too. Were I a cat, I’d be somewhere north of life #5.

Interests: That’s who and what I am.

And besides, if anyone were ever able to access my Silver MRI account, because I “earn ‘em and burn ‘em,” they might be able to cop a stolen 3-day stay at a Cat. 2. To me, there are a lot more serious issues to be concerned about.

omegaet Platinum 8 Reviews

My standard answer for any site requesting personal information is always the same:

Does it really matter?

seatexan Platinum

I just have Texas on my profile as hometown.  But my name would give that away too.  I didn't think to put a hometown as I have lived in a few places, in Texas mainly. So all of Texas is my home ...Even if I am in Louisiana for the time being.

My info doesn't really give much away.  I do have some pics up.  I'm not sure why someone would want to find me to cause trouble.  I can't say the same for misterchk! ;D

Maybe I should revamp my bio... It just gives my profession.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I thought you all were my friends.  You have now proved to me that the only purpose I serve is a "whipping post" and someone to make fun of.

If you really cared, minutes after the announcement that Jerryl was the new featured "Insider" you would have determined that the "Insiders" also needed a featured "Outsider" - then you overlooked the most likely  individual to represent the "outside" and have me designated to that honor.  BUT NO- not one of you had the insight or the compassion to reward me with a position that I deserve and   so qualified for..

Gee thanks "friends (??)"

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Don't look now, but I think you're digressing.

Come on Chuck, put your big boy pants on!  

I'm the real "Outsider" of the group...remember, I am the bad seed!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Sorry IAHFLYR  butmisterchk is the true outsider!  In fact, he is so far outside that he is often teased and ridiculed.  People don't even take his serious waffle addiction seriously.   You may be a bit of an Outsider but Chuck is Outsider number 1.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I don't even have a key to get me inside - that's why I will be installed in a tent in Houston!!!

phctourist,

Even though I dislike admitting this, I have been on my very best possible behavior every since I signed up on Insiders some time ago so you may very well be correct that someone else is a true outsider at this point.  Now, it may be time to turn over a new leaf and join my "LA Brother" on the other side of the fence from time to time, after all jumping the fence in one "giant step for mankind" could be scary for some of you so I'll take it a bit slower possibly standing on top of it for a bit.

Funny thing is there is one Reward member that I play golf with occasional and he has asked me about this Insider thing if have ever signed in to it?    I just replied with a "huh" and asked if he had done so.  I was surprised when he said he has and I should as there are good travel tips to be found.  That was some year or so back and he has yet to find out who I am on here which should be quite simple for him to do.  So I think it might be my being incognito with being less than my out there mind and less than completely obnoxious playful self.

Now what where we talking about on this thread?