4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2016 3:22 PM by phctourist RSS

Advice on Merging Accounts vs. Transferring Points & Taking a Gold Challenge?

mweiss Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I frequently travel for work and have achieved gold-level status with right under 50K points. I decided to join forces with my man-friend (domestic partners is what I suppose we're supposed to call ourselves) who recently got the Marriott card and added me as an additional cardholder so we could work toward the same goal together on a single account. Here's the problem:

• He provided my member# at the time he opened the account, but when it came in the mail they had opened an account under his name which was tied to his awesome benefits.
  • I know I can transfer my points for free (I believe), but I don't want to start from silver status again.

How do you all recommend I go forward?

• Transfer my points & request Gold status from Marriott on his new account?
  • Transfer my points & take a Gold Challenge?
  • Is it even possible for me to tie his Marriott card to my account (and transfer all the goods with it?)
  • Any other options that are better than what I've come up with so far?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Advice on Merging Accounts vs. Transferring Points & Taking a Gold Challenge?
    muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Two people cannot share a single account.  Since he opened the credit card in his name, the Marriott Rewards account linked to the credit card has to be in the same person's name.  Your partner is the primary card holder, therefore his Marriott Rewards account is linked to the card.  Elite status tiers are reached by the number of nights, not by the number of points.  (25=Silver, 50=Gold, and 75=Platinum).  The Marriott credit card gives you 15 elite nights each year, but they would go into your partner's rewards account.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Advice on Merging Accounts vs. Transferring Points & Taking a Gold Challenge?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi mweiss.  Welcome to the Insiders Community!  As you may have already seen, this is a great place to talk about all things travel!  From sharing your recommendations and experiences, to learning the ins and outs of the Rewards program.  We cover it all.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, like above, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're always here to help. 

It also looks like our Insiders have beat us to your question!  Both muppetwrangler and Guidedog613 are spot on.  At this time, there is no way to have a joint account.  I would recommend calling and speaking with a Rewards Representative.  They can go over the options and together you can reach a solution that will work best.  They can be reached at, 1-800-450-4442. 

Again, welcome to the community!  Looking forward to hearing more from you. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...