11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2016 10:25 AM by jwortiz RSS

Atlantis Bahamas

pickleball1 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Planning on a family vacation at Atlantis in July.  What is Marriott's relationship with this property?  Should I expect to accrue the same number of points I would at a branded Marriott property?  If anyone has stayed at this resort, how was your stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paradise Island, Bahamas
Atlantis Bahamas "Paradise Island"
  • Re: Atlantis Bahamas
    tombpm Gold

I have a question to the general Membership re Atlantis and the ability to use reward points, i have close to 500,000 points that i would love to use sometime but from old posts and not so old pos to this rewards insiders, it seems as if it is difficult to use rewards.  Unless that is officially posted someplace why is that so.  Thanks in advance   Tom

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jwortiz Platinum

Tombpn,

Yes, you can use your reward points (5 nights [160,000] + 2 nights [80,000] = 240,000 points). It is part of the Marriott collection of hotels. You definitely have the points!  LOL. My wife and I along with our two daughters plan to go this July 2016 and staying in the Royal Towers. Please be mindful, as it's not very clear at first, of the additional charges you may incur.

In my case, I'll be charged the following.

Resort fee (daily)53.70
      Service charge (daily)20.00
      Estimated government taxes and fees (daily)28.05
      Extra adult charge100.00

At the moment, I'm debating if I should go with a meal plan or not. I'll see what's been written up about that. Hope this has helped in some way. Bon Voyage! 

Message was edited by: jwortiz

klbe Gold

This is in Deed very interesting. I have saved up >200,000 points because I wanted to go here but i did not expect to pay a $100 in addition. This will make me reconsider - I hear it's not cheap either, so maybe there are better redemption options out there. Thanks for the tip!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I haven't been there but have inquired about this very issue.  The resort is now a Marriott-branded Autograph property, so you accrue points as you would at an Autograph Collection property, and it's a category 8 for redemption.  However, the timeshare units were not taken over by Marriott, so they are not eligible for MR.  The Atlantis website is confusing, if you ask me.  I have heard good and bad things about Atlantis.  Some people love it and others hate it.  If you want to redeem MR points for a stay, you have to call as you can't do it through the website.  If you go in through Marriott.com you can get info on which properties are part of the Marriott collection. 

klbe Gold

I also plan on spending some points there so any experinces with point redemptions is appreciated.

do you know which towers are abailable for point redemption?

lge-ca Gold 3 Reviews

We just returned from Atlantis on 2/1.  My husband and I had an excellent time and did not encounter any problems or issues from the time I made the reservations till the time we left.

I am Lifetime Gold and I booked 1 night using points and then 2 paid nights.  I also booked the cheapest category (Terrace View) at the Royal Towers.  When we arrived, we were upgraded to Harbor View on the 11th floor and had a fantastic view of the Paradise Island Bridge, Marina, Downtown area where the cruise ships dock, and Dolphin Cay.  Across the hall, they had the Water Views but we  were actually glad we were facing the Harbor as there was lots to watch with boats coming and going. The 2 reservations were handled correctly as we did not have to change rooms, we only go down to the Sun Lounge where Elites check in and get our keys revalidated.  Only additional Elite benefit is free internet.

On the free night, you pay the Service charge ($10) and Resort fee ($50) plus tax when you leave.  On the paid nights, you pay this when you make the reservation as you have to pay for the stay then.  I did not find any exceptions to this. 

There was a promotion for free breakfast when I booked, but it only applied to the paid nights not the free night.  Since the Poseidon breakfast buffet was $73.50 for 2, this was a great benefit.  Let's just say we definitely would not have eaten there otherwise.  The non included morning we over to Murray's Deli for a to-go cinnamon roll and bacon/egg croissant...and those 2 items were only $18.  After all, EVERYTHING gets the 15% service charge and 7.5% tax added on.

You only get MR credit and bonus for the room cost not any other charges.  I did use the MR Visa card and the 5X Points were correctly credited for the amount charged.  When I made the reservation I had to pre-pay and only 1X Points were credited.  I called Chase and the addition 4X Points were credited almost immediately.

EVERYTHING at Atlantis is expensive.  Rather than take the hotel shuttle, I pre-booked a taxi service so we could stop on the way at both a grocery and liquor store.  This was a really good idea.  For example, I bought a 6-pack of Diet Coke for $3.99 at the City Market, at Atlantis, 1 CAN was $3.50. 

It's the Bahamas so nothing is inexpensive but eating off property is definitely more reasonable that on.  You can easily walk to Margaritaville by going through the Marina Village.  We had a great dinner there with drinks for $66.  We also ate at ChopStix ( $112) and the Bahamian Club ($215).  There is also a Johnny Rockets in the Marina Village.  I'd say it's twice what we'd pay here as lunch was $40 for 2 burgers and 2 drinks.

I hope our experience helps anyone going to Atlantis.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I stayed there in Nov for 2 nights.  I originally planned to stay 5 nights but reduced to 2 after hearing all the really bad experiences that others had.  I was glad that I only had 2 nights.  The whole process was not good.  The resort was nice but every thing was expensive.  I did get points but not the 5 for using the Marriott CC.  I am glad that I went but will not return.

homoviator Platinum

I feel like they have some kinks to work out being a Marriott before I'm wanting to put my $ down, and from what I read, no matter how I go, with points or not I'm going to be laying down some $$.

My sense is that when their website is totally integrated with Marriott, including points, that's when things will be more smooth. 

Lastly, I think just knowing what you will face in terms of check in, extra fees, cost for food, etc, upfront makes the experience nicer because you aren't as likely to have unexpected costs sour your experience. 

If we ever go, I'm going to make it really clear--this is a b-day gift--because left to myself, I don't think I'd ever go there.

homoviator Platinum

Got to say, I just got off their website thinking, maybe I want to go there sooner rather than later. However, when I saw the total cost, I was a bit bummed to see that taxes made up an extra 40% of the cost.  Suddently my $300 room, which didn't sound to excellent to begin with was insane by the time taxes were added.  I'm not really sure it's worth it with so many other nice properties in the carribean.  I totally get attraction of the water park, but honestly, the carribean is like its own park.  I'm going to stick with my earlier comment, maybe when it's folded more into the Marriott business I'll reconsider. Even $100 extra a day in taxes and what not with points leaves me a bit cold.

peymanagement Platinum

I don't think that it is just this resort. Nassau is going to have to look at there business plan, it is just too expensive. Over the next few years Cuba is going to under cut them for the US tourist by half. The cruise ships will follow. Beautiful beaches on Cuba.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Know what you mean about the costs, add-ons, etc.  We were going to do Kessler Canyon (also an Autograph) till we learned there was a MANDATORY $175/day charge per person for meals (no restaurants anywhere there).  Off my bucket list really quick.

jwortiz Platinum

Just found this while searching the web site. As of October 2014, click the following link.

Marriott Rewards + Atlantis, Paradise Island FAQs

Enjoy!

Location Brand Hotel
    Atlantis Bahamas "Paradise Island"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...