74 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 8:53 PM by lone6star RSS

Good news for Lifetime Achievement

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It is time for some good news.  One of the things I like about the Marriott Rewards program and the Insiders web site is that the feedback many of us gives Marriott results in real changes.  Elite Rollover nights are one example of the suggested change implemented.

Now, Marriott is adjusting downward the number of points required to reach Elite Lifetime #_msocom_1Status in the Marriott Rewards program, which now makes it within reach of many more loyal Marriott Rewards members.  It also means that, once Lifetime status is reached, if a current Platinum Elite member fails to achieve Platinum status in a year, he or she will be automatically renewed! Same thing applies for Lifetime Gold and Silver Elites who fail to make their level in a given year.

These changes, which will take effect in mid January, reduce the points by as much as one third required to be accumulated over a lifetime, a significant reduction for those seeking Lifetime status. Nice adjustment for many members because the hardest part of making Lifetime status was the accumulation of points (for me it was).

In my view this is recognition of everyone’s continued loyalty to Marriott and Marriott Rewards effort to give us a better and fairer program.  In 2009,  many of us were unable to maintain our travel schedules due to budgetary and organizational constraints.  Now the finish line for Elite Lifetime is a lot closer than it used to be.

Here are the details from Marriott:

“Change to Elite Lifetime Status Qualification

Marriott Rewards has reviewed the Lifetime qualification criteria based on member feedback from the Insiders that the required points threshold seemed too high compared to the thresholds for nights and years. After analysis, we agree and will re-set lifetime point thresholds (starting mid-January) for all levels so they are consistent with the other required activity metrics (years enrolled in the program and nights stayed).

Years enrolled in the program and nights stayed will not change (Platinum, Gold and Silver Elite Lifetime still requires 12 years participation in the program. Platinum Lifetime  requires 1000 nights stayed and paid for, Gold requires 800 paid nights and Silver 600 paid nights. The new points threshold will be as follows:

-Silver Elite Lifetime - 1.5 million points now 1.2 million points.

-Gold Elite Lifetime - 2 million points now 1.6 million points

-Platinum Elite Lifetime - 3 million points now lowered to 2 million points”

Watch for more information on the Insider’s homepage in a few days.

• Re: Good news for Lifetime Achievement
    pltnmprincess Platinum

Awesome news Steppingstones....thanks for posting!!  I think I might now be a lifetime Platinum due to the new rules.  I will have to call and check.

Happy New Year!! Looking forward to more of your informative and encouraging posts!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for the heads up, Stepping Stones!

Makes sense to me even though I am already Platinum Lifetime.

This is not so much about lowering the bar as it is Marriott leading the industry in recognizing brand loyalty.

I am sure that balancing perks against cost is a tricky financial planning matter.  However, it is gratifying to know that Marriott is listening to frequent "stayers" and responding where it makes good business sense.

Being a 35-year financial management veteran, I have been there and done that when it comes to finding fiscally sensible ways to encourage customers to generate more business and become loyal to my company.

Good move, Marriott!

Happy New Year!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks folks--this is another thing that Marriott Rewards is doing to make life a little simpler for us ex- and current road warriors.  I made it too, I hope!

lesliepamel Platinum

STEPPING STONES I'M AFRAID THAT I AM NOT AS CONFIDENNT AS YOU WHEN YOU SAY MARRIOTT LISTENS TO INSIDERS MESSAGES. I AM MORE INCLINED TO THINK THEY IGNORE AN AWFUL LOT OF GOOD THINGS THAT ARE PRESENTED IN THIS FORUM.  THEY APPEAR DO WHAT SUITS THEM WITHOUT ASKING MEMBERS THEIR OPINIONS. UNDER THE OLD RULES I HAVE LOST OUT ON LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP FOR YEARS,SCORING ONLY 4 POINTS OUT OF 5. UNDER THE NEW RULES I AM IN THE SAME POSITION.

I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER FOR 21 YEARS

I HAVE BEEN IN GOOD STANDING, AND NEVER DIVED PAYING A BILL OR WRECKED A ROOM

I HAVE BEEN PLATINUM FOR THE PAST 6 CONSECUTIVE YEARS

I HAVE ACCRUED AND SPENT 8.1 MILLION POINTS 

I HAVE 750 STAYED NIGHTS ( THE MAJORITY OF MY NIGHTS ARE REWARD STAYS FROM MVCI TIME -FOR WHICH MARRIOTT DOES NOT GIVE POINTS)

SO I GUESS I'LL KEEP WORKIN' ON IT - MARRIOTT MIGHT CHANGE THE RULES IN A MORE GUEST FRIENDLY WAY ONE DAY - INSTEAD OF RULES TO HELP MARRIOTT!!

SUNNY WISHES

Hi Leslie

Just to clarify ---  FYI  ---- beginning last Spring, Marriott is counting ownership nights at MVCI properties toward elite and lifetime status.

In my experience, that has also included traded ownership nights as long as the trade was to another MVCI property.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Thanks for sharing this information!

I really do think Insider input is, and will continue to be of interest to corporate.  If not, they could just be like most of the others and not have a program like this.

Without sharing our experiences or ideas with Marriott, why would we ever expect them to know what we want?  With the travel business looking much more difficult, I do not know why any business would not pay attention to key customers.  There are too many other choices for the savvy!

taxman415 Platinum

While this is great news will there be any changes to the number of stays required for each level? Thanks...

tjcnewyork Platinum

Happy New Year all,

One takeaway from this news is the reassurance that Marriott Rewards is a long term value proposition.  Building upon the comment by LesliePamel in a positive way, making it easier (to obtain lifetime status) is in Marriott's best interests.  It is more cost effective to retain good customers than it is to capture new business.  So there is mutual benefit.  Kudos Marriott and thanks Stepping Stones for posting this great news at the start of a new year and decade.

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

Yesterday I attended a Marriott Rewards Seminar presented by the sales executive at Marriott Vacation Club in Boston at the Custom House.  This was one of two seminars presented this week.  As a bonus, attendees receive 5,000 MR points.

What amazed me is the number of owners who know very little about MR.  For example, by a show of hands more than half of the group exceeding 20 did not know that nights at MVC properties at a home resort or on exchange count towards Elite status. 

To my disappointment, not one question popped up regards the devaluation of points that have affected the value of trading for points usage option and turned off so many owners - as posts at Insiders suggest.  While Marriott International continues to evolve Marriott Rewards in a way that delivers mutual benefit as noted in an earlier post, the integration of Marriott Rewards and Marriott Vacation Club is behind the curve in recognizing MVC owner loyalty to Marriott. 

lesliepamel Platinum

Hello Country Jim. Thanks for the that message. I was already aware of the facts you have outlined. However if one trades timeshare for Reward points, and then uses the Reward points to stay a Marriott hotels, the member does not get any nights credited to their account. (Standard Reward award procedure)

So considering my last message, I have stayed about 750 recorded  nights at Marriott in the last 21 years,(Paid for, or at an MVCI property.) and about 300 nights using Reward awards to stay at hotels. For these 300 nights, no 'nights' credit (Under the current rules.) was made to my account.

I know that Reward points and 'nights' credit were designed to reward the frequent hotel guests, but Marriott chose to link Rewards to timeshare. The money I paid for my timeshare could have allowed me to purchase about 1000 hotel nights over the last 21 years. However, if I choose to stay at a Marriott hotel using Reward awards I get no nights credited to my account.

My disgreement with Marriott is that whilst I paid up front for ten weeks of timeshare, and have for the last 21 years always vacationed Marriott . (Spending money in their shops and restaurants) Marriott does not recognise my loyalty (Beyond six years as a Platinum member) and my desire to become a lifetime member.  Loyalty which was pretty strong for the first 20 odd years, but for this and other reasons is wearing very thin now.

Sunny wishes,

Dear Taxman:

Nights stayed have not changed, still 1000 for Platinum, 800 for Gold and 600 for Silver Lifetime.  Twelve years in the program is the same as before.  The points accumulated have dropped, in the case of Platinum, singificantly.

Hope that explains it.

Happy New Year

lesliepamel Platinum

Hello TJC, That's very interesting. Who arranged the seminar Marriott Rewards or MVCI?

I am often amazed at how little some owners understand the system. This amazement ranges from an owner who spends 10 full weeks every year at his home resort, because he doesn't know what else to do! To an owner at an MVCI resort reception held on the 21st January 2009 who received a prize and large applause for having in his account 4 million Reward points - gained simply by not being sure how to use them. He went quite white when I told him that they had just been devalued by around 60% !  

Anyway to return to the main thread of this message would you agree that Marriott has to do something to recognise the loyalty of timeshare owners? Especially those of us who desire to achieve Lifetime Loyalty recognition. I belive that they can start by allowing such people to accrue nights from hotel stays paid with by Reward awards generated from vacation ownership. This would be a complex rule as it would apply to vacation owners and not too regular members. But I reckon that it could be done, especially if - as you say - MVCI moves closer to Marriott Rewards

Sunny wishes,

james30 Platinum

Thanks, Stepping.  Unfortunately I totally agree with Leslie Pamel.  I have earned way more than the original 3 million points for Platinum Emeritus but am just slightly under the 1000 nights.  I have never seen it posted here that 3 millions points were unreasonable so I am wondering where they received that feedback.  It would be nice if Marriott came up with an idea that provided choices.  For example, 2 million points and x number of room nights or 3 million points and y number of room nights with x being a larger number than y.  

Hi Leslie

You are correct, of course.

However, neither timeshare trading outside of Marriott nor any use of MR points will generate MR room nights.

I'm thankful that timeshare trading inside Marriott does generate MR room nights.  That change happened only 9 months ago and is a reasonable benefit.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I don't like the change...It further downgrades the Platinum Status as many of the other changes Marriott has made. How do they reward those that dedicated themselves in order to achieve life time status only to see that recognition watered down. Shame on you Marriott for continually downgrading the "Platinum" Status!!!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

# of points; check.

# of nights; check.

# of years in MR...10, nine as platinum.  Just biding my time.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Hey Cornie,

It looks like you should be hitting the Lifetime Platinum status soon, is that correct?

I believe you need 12 years and then Nuhusker will join us other lifetime platinum members...

Jasper, I think Nuhusker's post was from 23 months ago..hence the question if LP is at hand.

Wow.time flys when you are having fun...I did not pick up on that inuendo..Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not there yet. I'll probably hit the points and nights targets in mid 2013. I'm hoping NuHusker will let us know what type of notification one gets, and how soon after the big day they get it.

taxman415 Platinum

Do the 2010 rollover nights count toward the lifetime nights stayed requirement? Thanks...

Taxman:  Good question.  Yes they do since they are earned and paid for nights. An as example, if you had 175 nights in 09 then you'd have 100 rollover nights to put in the bank for this year and for the lifetime status requirement.  I am not sure (but will ask Marriott) if the double nights count as nights since they were bonus nights.  Stay tuned for that answer.

You can always call Marriott Rewards and ask (give them until the middle of January for this) what you nights status is.

Good luck!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Woohoo!!!  Thanks, Steppingstones!

I'm now Lifetime Plat!  I was missing 475,000 points!

Dear NewHiltonMember:

Great news--I bet a lot of folks are in that category. I know I was just a little over 100,000K short until this change so I am cheering as well.

Have a Happy New Year as a Lifetime Platinum Elite member!!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I wish I could revel in the excitement exhibited here by my fellow members, however, it took a lot for me to achieve lifetime using the existing thresholds and I don't think it's fair for others to get a "free pass".

This change will also water down the privileges since more lifetimer's will be coming along.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Afternoon, Insiders.

Thanks for your questions and concerns regarding the new changes to the Elite level Lifetime status achievement qualifications.

As a means of clarification regarding promotional nights and Elite Rollover Nights: Yes. All qualified nights count towards Lifetime status, that includes any promotional nights (credit card, double nights, etc.), Elite Rollover Nights as well.

If any other major questions or concerns arise, I will be happy to address them. Thanks again, all!

Regards,

Andrew

foxcode Platinum

Andrew,

Any idea how I can check my total number of recorded nights in the program? Also do you know when the program originally started? I know when I originally started it was Marriott Marquis. Thanks, fox code

foxcode Platinum

I can think of a couple of benefits I would like Lifetime Platinum Elites to have:

A hangtag for a vehicle that entitles you to some reserved parking

A newspaper on check-in (some nights I get to the hotel and there are none left.)

coupons for breakfast when you stay at a resort - they have no lounges.

frankiesesso Platinum 5 Reviews

I can understand the excitement for those who have not reached the lifetiem status, but for those of us who have achieved it, it is a disappointment and a dilution of the program to us.

Time to reconsider that plutonium status!

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

I guess I don't see this change as any real dilution of the benefits to those who are already at the lifetime level. If someone is in the program and spends 1000 nights -- even if some of those were bonus nights -- they have still paid their dues. And how are current platinum members benefits diluted anyway. All lifetime status gives you is Platinum membership for life. Nothing extra. Now -- if people who got lifetime membership suddenly stop travelling and don't go to Marriott's -- so what -- they aren't impacting anyone. Or let's say they retire and then travel for leisure maybe 15 nights a year. So they get Platinum treatment for 15 nights. No big deal. There won't be that many, anyway.

I never saw the 3 million points as the long pole in the tent, anyway. I have six years in the program, 632 nights, and just over 1.9 million points. Clearly -- the reduction to 2 million points has no impact on me. By the time I get to 12 years and 1000 nights, I'll have well in excess of 3 million lifetime points.

So this change, in my opinion, is no big deal. Now -- the bonus nights and carryover nights, on the other hand, certainly do impact (dilute) the Platinum benefits because now so many additional people will qualify in a given year.

fuzzyzipperbau Platinum

Just found this forum today and just learned there was even a LA award.  I have been a platinum member for 10+ years and never even heard of it...  Could someone please tell me how to find out where I stand on total nights, points, etc.... thanks

james30 Platinum

Fuzzyzipperbau,

You can call Marriott Rewards and they can tell you how many lifetime points and nights you have earned to date.  And, as you have probably already read here, Platinum Emeritus or lifetime requires at least 12 years in the program and at least one of those 12 years needs to have been Platinum status.

I was in the program for years before I learned of the lifetime status; it has not been broadly communicated over the years.

mrrich Platinum

FuzzyZipperbau:

www.marriott.com  Help  Contact Us

I've asked for my balances 4-5 times over the last 3 years and usually get a response within 12 hours.  Others have gone the phone route and have an answer in minutes

PINGREEMAN:

I think yur data supports what I posted elsewhere - points is no longer an issue with lifetime status, unless you really work to not earn points.  I would have ended up at 1000 nights, 2M points in a couple year - Gold but a long way from PLT, as my rates are similarly inexpensive.  But now I'll be PLT under my same stay pattern.  And with the 50% bonus, more active points bomused, and increasing rates over time, it will harder and harder to earn under 2000 pts/night

Sorry to hear that a few of you are not happy with me making Lifetime Plat after my being in the program since, if not its inception, than very close to it.

I've been a member since the 1980's... have well over 1,000 nights, well over 12 years, and many years as Plat.  I was just missing some of the points since some years I didn't travel much due to jobs or other years didn't have the opportunity to stay in the more costly properties.   At other times, clients may have dictated where I stayed.

I think that I have paid my dues.

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

"Anyway to return to the main thread of this message would you agree that Marriott has to do something to recognise the loyalty of timeshare owners? Especially those of us who desire to achieve Lifetime Loyalty recognition. I belive that they can start by allowing such people to accrue nights from hotel stays paid with by Reward awards generated from vacation ownership. This would be a complex rule as it would apply to vacation owners and not too regular members. But I reckon that it could be done, especially if - as you say - MVCI moves closer to Marriott Rewards"

In a major way, the priority system used to assign villas does recognize the loyalty of timeshare owners.  Owners staying at their home resort with multiple weeks get first priority.  Owners exchanging with multiple weeks have higher priority than non-owners.  This is very simplistic, it's actually much more complex.  

On the lodging/hotel side, Elite status supercedes owner status.  And, as you aptly point out, staying on points acquired by trading one's resort week for points does not accrue any Elite nights.  While recognizing those nights for EQN might add complexity, I think it is a very interesting idea.  Is that what you meant?

• Re: Does the Brass Ring have a Fixed Diameter?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

NewHiltonMember

Congratulations!  In the grand scheme of things, the 475K balance needed to cross the threshold can be purchased for less than $5K.  ($12.50/K)

In the lodging business, hoteliers like Marriott know how many thousands of marketing dollars is required to capture NEW business.  It would be shortsighted of Marriott to lose your loyalty after 20+ years.  Marriott figures that generosity begets generosity and you (and many others like you) are likely to spend 2x the balance and more needed in the year(s) ahead.  Recalling your Insiders posts about Marbella and LaPlaya make that self-evident.

For those who took on the challenge and achieved Lifetime with plenty to spare,  remain confident that Marriott will continue to delight you.  If Marriott is willing to absorb $5K in order to retain loyal business such as NewHiltonMembr, how much more will be invested to ensure that Marriott delivers according to expectations.  Let's not assume - in error - that the so-called Brass Ring has a fixed diameter.

Thanks, TJCNewYork!

fuzzyzipperbau Platinum

I emailed MR but didnt get an answer so I called...  1087 nights and 2.87 Million miles....Don't worry, I will make sure I get the other 130k miles to be "legitimate".

Anyway they told me what a few have mentioned... the only time I wll receive anything is when/if I dont hit Plat level....

txperson Platinum

Does owning time shares with Marriott and getting points count towards lifetime elite status, especially if one also stays in hotels?

Just noted your January 4 clarification, Andrew.

Thanks for efforts to recognize long-term customers by adjusting the Lifetime criteria.  This cetainly with further encourage many folks, especially those who are close to achieving a Lifetime status.

Although I continue to earn Platinum annually, I appreciate the Lifetime recognition for now and for future retirement.

I got an idea...Why not reduce the number of nights needed for Lifetime Platinum to 500 nights with 500,000 accumulated points? That would make even more marriott reward members happy and be even better news for Lifetime Achievment and Marriott reward members..right?

PINGREEMAN: Your are right...but lets have minimum requirements to become Life Time Platinum...How about stay at least 5 nights with at least 10,000 points to become Lifetime Platinum...We need to consider Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Silver so we have to have some room to allow those levels. Then upgrades could be given out based on your idea... roll of a seven or eleven for Platinum, doubles for Gold and snake eyes for Silver. And to get into the concerge lounge, bid it out so Marriott has another way of generating revenues.

-Silver Elite Lifetime - 2,500 points...2 nights stay

-Gold Elite Lifetime - 5,000 points...3 nights stay 

-Platinum Elite Lifetime - 10,000 points..5 nights stay

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Does owning time shares with Marriott and getting points count towards lifetime elite status, especially if one also stays in hotels?"

Owning timeshare per se does not automatically count.  The T&C of Marriott Rewards states that a member has to personally stay in the room in order to earn the Elite Qualifying Nights or EQN towards Elite status.  So occupying one's 'deeded nights' whether at the home resort or on exchange with Interval International do count towards lifetime elite status as of June 2008.

As far as I recall, lifetime elite status depends upon a certain number of points being reached and does not discriminate on the source.  Getting points by trading your owner week do accrue towards the balance required to earn lifetime elite status.

Yes, they automatically get Lifetime Premier Platinum Status and get to roll the dice twice for upgrades. However to get the upgrade they need to roll the same number both times. Not only that, but they will also get free internet service if they are lucky enough to roll the same numbers twice along with complimentary slippers and newspaper. Finally, yes finally, we can make this group of Marriott Reward members as happy as the rest us Lifetime Platinum members.

roadwarrior666 Platinum

Instead of further diluting the present range of awards, how about adding that preciously-mentioned "Plutonium" or Titanium" level?  Add a few more benefits and set the two new levels at, say 15 and 20 years membership, 1200 and 1400 nights, and 2.4 and 2.8 million points?

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC

On the lodging/hotel side, Elite status supercedes owner status.  And, as you aptly point out, staying on points acquired by trading one's resort week for points does not accrue any Elite nights.  While recognizing those nights for EQN might add complexity, I think it is a very interesting idea.  Is that what you meant?

Thanks TJC that's exactly what I meant! It seems unusual and unfair to allow an MVCI owner to gain EQN from his stay at an MVCI resort, but if he trades timeshare for points and stays at a Marriott hotel on a Rewards award, he doesn't get any EQN.

For me now though it's all rether academic as you probably guessed that until Marriott raises the points level for timeshare/Reward  trades then I won't be staying at any Marriott hotels. Which means I will retain my platinum level from timeshare stays - but get none of the extra values that that loyalty level provides. (except the 50% earned points mark-up)But when you consider what Marriott has done to MVCI owners with the points devaluation, the company doesn't really deserve owners loyalty

tjcnewyork Platinum

"what Marriott has done to MVCI owners with the points devaluation, the company doesn't really deserve owners loyalty"

To the contrary!  Marriott Rewards has always been upfront about their Terms & Conditions regarding the program.  Trading for points is a usage option that owners can choose.  Owners make a judgment call on how best to maximize the value of vacation ownership.  Under statute and contract, owners have ownership of deeded nights, NOT points.

IMHO, the 2009 program changes resulted in 'sticker shock.' Full service hotel rooms became less affordable not only to MVC owners, but the general marketplace. Marriott had to bring hotel rates in line with the cost to operate which skyrocketed everywhere let alone  popular destinations like New York, Paris, Rome and London among others.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"until Marriott raises the points level for timeshare/Reward  trades then I won't be staying at any Marriott hotels. Which means I will retain my platinum level from timeshare stays - but get none of the extra values that that loyalty level provides."

That's correct.  With the arrival gift and 50% bonus points, you'll continuously add points to your Marriott Rewards account which under the present T&C will keep your account active.  With 10 weeks of timeshare, your deeded nights will deliver 70 EQN per year.  Whether you retain Platinum short 5 nights is Marriott's disgression.

iflyjetzzz Platinum

Leslie, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of MVCI since I don't own a timeshare and have no intent of owning one.  However, I think that I have a solution to your dilemma of earning elite nights for stays at Marriotts using MVCI points.  Rather than use the points for hotel stays, convert the points to Marriott Cheques.  It costs 135K points for $1000.  Assuming that you're Plat and staying at a property that gives you 10 pts/dollar spent, you'll earn 15K points for $1000 spent, making your net point cost 120K pts/$1000.  Note that Residence Inn and TownPlace Suites only earn 5pts/dollar spent.

I use that method to ensure I get maximum stay credits in my quest for lifetime Platinum.

The argument that the change from 3 million to 2 million points waters down the program does not have much merit.  I am one of those people who will be a bit short on points when I reach 1000 nights, especially due to rollover nights (I rolled over 102 nights from 2009 and will roll over 150+ nights in 2010).  My strategy to make up some of that deficit has been to have the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa which I use almost exclusively for all of my credit card purchases.  I have also considered buying points from Marriott at a rate of 1.25 cents/point.  They capped point purchases at 50,000/yr a year or two ago, but prior to that, you could buy unlimited points.

If there is a concern over lowering the total points from 3 million to 2 million, there should be just as much concern over buying points (which also count toward lifetime status), earning points through credit card use, timeshare points, and all MegaBonus and other incentive points.  If one is looking for a 'pure' system, points should only be earned through stays at Marriotts.

munem_ Platinum

Wish the 12 year requirements could be relaxed. I've been a member for 5 years. I'll probably hit the lifetime Platinum requirements in another 2-3.

By doing all this business with Marriott now, I'm giving you better Present Value than someone who takes 12+ years to hit lifetime Platinum. This requirement doesn't follow basic shareholder value principles!

gpsworlddon Platinum

Great news. Do we have to register for the lifetime elite status program or just keep accumulating points?

papamickey Platinum

Thank you Marriott. I personally have had trouble reaching the 3 million points plateau even thoughthe nights stayed were well over 2000. I look forward to becoming a Lifetime member this year. Thanks Again

kevanlr Platinum

In reading this thread, you make it sound as if MVC owners earn Elite Qualification nights. I'm confused about this as I am a MVC owner, but have never earned those nights based on my stays at MVC. I'm not too concerned as I make Platinum on hotel stays alone, but was curious if there was more information about this?

chazdawg Platinum

I apparently missed this conversation these last couple months and have just caught up today.

Initially my thought was the same as many others...the lowering of the points is a devaluation, however, the arguement that 1000 nights negates that brought me back over the line. I can't say that I agree that rollover nights should count multiple times...I'm likely to have over 365 nights this year...and that's a massive rollover to count again and again.  It certainly is a massive jump down though from 3M to 2M, but staying 1000 nights should count for something, for sure.

I'm looking forward to getting my lifetime as much as anyone...I've been Platinum the past 10 years (with the exception of the year I was in Iraq...no Marriott there as you'd imagine LOL).  I'm on my 11th year in the program and just holding out for year 12.  I've earned over 3 million and have about 1300 nights.  It surprises me that you only have to be Platinum 1 year of the 12 required to make lifetime Platinum...but that's just me thinking too much, I'm sure.

I'm certainly one to champion the Plutonium status...that 1% of the 1% so to speak...should be acknowedged.  If nothing else, extend Platinum Premier to a lifetime level...if it needs to be 20 years...5+ million points...2000 nights...whatever...set the bar and give us something to strive for.  Not sure how many of you plan like me...but...I expect that my lifetime status and accumulated points will be my vacation retirement package.  I pay for vacation stays when reasonable and sparingly use my points.  I know that one day I won't have a job that affords me the travel and point earning ability...so I hoard them as best I can.

ChazDawg

Chazdawg:

I am always in favor of Plutonium for peaceful uses of course!  But what bennies would be given to the super, uber elites in this category?  Would creation of another level then diminish the achievements of Life Platinums, Platinum Premiers and the like?

Something to ponder for sure!

jerrodsdad Platinum 1 Reviews

I have called MR at (800) 321-7396 to inquire about lifetime Platinum Elite status.  They MR rep informed me to get to Lifetime Platinum Elite, there are four (4) critieria:

1. 12 Years in the program
    2. 1,000 nights
    3. Two (2) million points
    4. At least one (1) year as a Platinum member.

The rep was kind enough to provide me with my balances and what I need to achieve Lifetime Platinum Elite.  The night balances were already posted on my account information on the website for my easy view.  I will say it would be nice if the total # of points would also be posted as well, instead of the # of points available.

If you have questions, give them a call at the 800 # listed above.  The number is also on the back of your card.Smile

frequentvacati Platinum 1 Reviews

That is definately GOOD news. I have enjoyed being a Platinum member and most of the time you do get upgrades. When I worked I always gotPlatinum as the result of staying there a lot and now that I am retired I have accumulated enough time, nights and points in the system to qualify. 

However the Platinum benefit restrictions at Resorts still don't make that much sense as well as the lack of breakfasts on week ends. Some of us that are retired do like to take advantage of the lower week end rates for leisure travel. Concierge floor only during the week days for business travel does not recognize the leisure travelers.

rgrubb Platinum

So do I understand that to achive lifetime elite status I have to have 1000 paid nights  AND  be in the program for 12 years?  Or do I have to have 1000 paid nights during a 12 year period?  I am a relatively new elite member but at the rate I am going I'll have 1000 paid nights in about 4 years.   Thanks.

buchungsknecht Platinum

Who is validating the lifetime achievement?

Do I have to apply for it - or will it be given by MR?

taxman415 Platinum

MR will award it to you in the year you fail to qualify for elite status in normal mode (nights in a bed)...

foxcode Platinum

I have been a member of this program since three months after it started. My card starts with 3 zeros, any way two years ago I received a letter saying I was now a Lifetime Platinum Elite. The succeeding year it said the same thing. This year it does not say that but instead says I am a "Platinum Premier Elite." Is that higher than Lifetime? What does it mean?

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I don't have an answer, but curious to know what month and year did the program start?

foxcode Platinum

This is going to be a guess but I am going to say in the mid to late 80's, maybe 89

foxcode,

try 1983, I joined that year!  What a wild and fun ride!

JC,

Would you like to share the ballpark of your total points earned?  You don't have to...I'm just thinking it's a boatload!! 1983-2012 sounds like 30 years worth of stays. Have you been mainly Marriott the whole time?

PP,

I really don't know!  But I will tell you every time I make a reservation the hot line asks me "Are you still alive"!  No, not really!  But they do not deal with many people who have 4 zero's at the start of their number.  What's funny, I was a huge customer of HI, and one night had my car vandalized in Charleston, WV, went across the street to the new Marriott and when checking in, they asked me to sign-up, I did and the rest is history.