1 2 3 11 Previous Next 160 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2016 4:37 PM by tryt53 RSS

Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Insiders. We promised an announcement on the venue for the meetup in Houston on September 16 and 17, 2016. Here it is.

Your hosts brightlybob and bejacob (and honorary hosts IAHFLYR and misterchk) will be hanging out at the JW Houston (Galleria)

Houston Galleria Hotels | JW Marriott Houston Galleria

Don't go to the downtown Houston JW, we won't be there.

All Insiders are welcome to join us. Don't expect us to throw a lavish party. We'll be crashing the Concierge Lounge or hiding out in a corner of the hotel bar. As Bob said in the discussion Re: Who's up for the Insiders meetup in Houston on 16th and 17th September? there is no real organisation, sorry organization. It will just be some of us hanging out and taking our "prescription meds" (that is the right term, isn't it, jerrycoin?) Anyway, we don't really have a plan for the weekend, so I guess we'll have to make it up as we go. Come for one night, or join us both Friday and Saturday (and maybe for breakfast in the CL on Sunday). CL which was rumored to open during the weekend is, in fact, closed.

Anyone definitely attending may wish to make reservations now. I suggest using the AAA rate (or the senior rate if you're 62 or older). Both are $135/night. Even if you don't qualify for the discounted rate, use it anyway, We'll see if we can get the hotel to honor that price for our Insider meetup.

Bob's got a list (somewhere) of those who've indicated they plan to be there (and those still on the fence). Not that we'll be taking attendance. It's just nice to get an idea of who to expect. I look forward to seeing again those I've met, and meeting those with whom I've just corresponded on Insiders.

As they say in Texas, "Y'all come see us."

At least I think that's what they say in Texas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Can you put me down as an ankle-biter?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

bejacob

BB, Bejacob got it wrong!  It was the Motel 6 across the street from the JW Marriott!

Please have him correct it.

• 3. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob and brightlybob,

thanks for the update!

Since I need a larger room, I am staying at The RI a half mile away.  Like the 2 BR Suites!  Will have a car, and know the area, so it will be wonderful to meet all.

Lastly, maybe IAHFLYR can explain why they closed the canal in Galveston to fish in The Gulf?  I, like many, are sad that we cannot go fishing in The Gulf, now that the canal has been taken over by the city.  Will have to go someplace else.  What kind of government annexes public land and restricts its citizens from using man made waterways after decades?  This is not going to sit well with Texan's, who love their fishing and freedom!

• 4. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    peymanagement Platinum

Ok, booked into the super 8 down the street on price line for 36 bucks but still need my tee shirt.

Just kidding, I am booked, but I am 4 days short of 62, so will you guys vouch for me (i.e. not tell the truth as it saves a beer or two)? My grandson will be with me it is his b day, but he will be happy to play video games in room when we meet. He and I will go to NASA later.

• 5. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    Platinum 28 Reviews

jerrycoin Looking forward to meeting an individual that has survived over 30 years here!

• 6. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

misterchk,

Thanks for reminding me!

Will look forward to meeting you and the other MRI's!

• 7. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    fistuk Platinum

Why using special rates (AAA, Senior) for paying $135/night?

You can easily get only $100/night using the LNF rate.

Thought you guys should know...

• 8. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria

Help me out. When I try to find the LNF rate for the dates of the meetup (check-in 9/16, check-out 9/18) nothing comes up.

Clearly we want the best rate available as long as it earns both points and elite nights. The timing of the gathering coincides with the normal start of the Fall MegaBonus as well, so if that kicks off as usual, this will be a good way to start accumulating nights/stays toward that.

We welcome all suggestions on getting the lowest rate available (that still earns points).

• 9. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    fistuk Platinum

From your description I understand that you're not familiar with the LNF rate or how to claim it.

The LNF rate isn't a code that you use in the promotion field when you search Marriott.com for rates, but it's meaning is 'Look No Further' and it's a special rate given to any member individually by Marriott, according to their best rate guarantee policy.

I'd recommend you to read carefully the guide I posted several months ago: click here

• 10. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria

I did miss the earlier guide. Good info. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    Platinum 28 Reviews

Okay, I give up what is a LNF rate?

• 12. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    fistuk Platinum

Please see my reply above.

• 13. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria

Let me clarify. The AAA rate and the Senior rate are the lowest rates Marriott provides on their website. We know those will earn points and nights credit. If a better rate can be found that still earns points and nights, by all means grab it.

The regular "Leisure" rate for the weekend is $159. We're just providing guidance to help those planning to attend.

As jerrycoin notes. There are other properties nearby (Residence Inn, Courtyard). A little farther (perhaps a mile) are a Marriott and TownePlace Suites. Join us at the JW or book nearby. Whatever works best for you.

• 14. Re: Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've promoted you to a hipster, lucky you!

1 2 3 11 Previous Next