14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2016 5:27 PM by ssindc RSS

Need help deciding on DC location

nmballoonist Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be traveling to DC on business in February.  Instead of staying at my standby, the Crystal Gateway Marriott, want to stay in the District this time.  Due to a number of factors, rates and location being the main drivers, I am debating between the JW Marriott and the Marriott Metro Center.  I like the Metro access at the Metro Center Marriott, but I also like JW's when I can stay there.  The ratings are similar with the Metro Center being a couple of tenths higher.  I value the opinions of the insiders on this forum, so given this choice where would you choose and why?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington DC, District Of Columbia, USA
  • Re: Need help deciding on DC location
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

nmballoonist I have not stayed at either though am familiar with the locations as I worked a few blocks away from the Metro Center Marriott. Not sure if you will be there on the weekend and care about breakfast in lieu of the concierge lounge being open, but according to MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums maintained by skiadcock the JW does 1,000 points and no breakfast when CL is closed, while Metro Center has cont'l breakfast or $6 towards full breakfast when CL is closed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nmballoonist Platinum

Thanks for the info.  I won't be there over the weekend, arriving Monday leaving Thursday or Friday depending on final schedule, so the CL isn't a consideration.  If it was I would go with the JW and take the points since a Starbucks and a pastry works for me for breakfast.  Since you are familiar with the area, any restaurant recommendations?  The only place I have been to nearby is the Old Ebbitt Grill.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

nmballoonist.....Definitely go to Ris Restaurant on L & 23rd Streets.  It is on the street level of the Ritz Carlton Residences & around the corner from the Ritz Carlton Hotel.  Great food & bar!

nmballoonist Platinum

Thanks for the recommendation. Know where the Ritz is located, stayed at the Marriott Georgetown once.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

I have found the JW to be very iffy with their service and the metro center to be much more even in service and convenient to the Metro

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I have stayed at the JW and really enjoyed it.  Staff was pleasant and I was able to walk everywhere I needed to go.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

I would try the Hamilton - which is owned by the same group that owns the Old Ebbet Grill - also Joes Crab and Seafood is not far from there.  A little bit away is Del Frisco's which open a few months ago and is great steakhouse and is a great looking place as well

nmballoonist Platinum

Thanks for all the info. I made reservations at the JW. Basically a coin toss but someone with our company who worked in DC for a couple of years and had to schedule visitors into DC tipped it to the JW. He also recommended going to the POV bar on top of the W for the view of the White House, particularly at sunset. Will report bacK after trip.

nmballoonist Platinum

So I promised to report back after my stay.  The JW at 14th and Pennsylvania was excellent.  Service was great and the rooms have been remodeled so very up to date.  One thing to note is that the remodel took out the tub/shower combos and there was only a shower (at least in my room) that covers the same space as the tub.  Thats fine with me but I know some people don't like this arrangement.  It was only about 3 blocks to the Metro Center Metro entrance at 12th and F St so an easy walk even in cold/snowy weather.  I had a room on the top floor (15th) with a great view to the south towards the Mall.  I could see the Capital to the east and the Washington Monument to the west, pictures attached.  There was a small set of stairs that connected the 15th floor to the 14th and the Executive Lounge so you did not have to wait for an elevator.  Nice touch.  Executive lounge was ok, nothing exceptional.  Will definitely stay there again.

Went back to Old Ebbitt Grill again.  Also tried the Oceanaire Seafood Room which was very good.  Went to the POV lounge on top of the W Hotel.  Since it was so cold the patio had the plastic walls down to hold in the heat, which impacted the view.  Will go back again when it is warmer so the walls are up and the view is better.

Panoramic view from my room.  Of interest might be the Old Post Office building to the left that is being converted into a Trump Hotel.  There has been a lot of discussion as to whether the big blue Trump Hotel under construction sign violates campaign rules. You might be able to zoom in and see the sign.

IMG_0036.jpg

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks for reporting back, nmballoonist! Sounds like a great trip. Old Ebbitt Grill is definately a classic.

Look forward to your future reports.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the JW but have stayed many times at the Mayflower and the Metro Center.  Both of those properties are great!

nmballoonist Platinum

I want to try the Mayflower but very hard to get reservations at government rate.  Will have to try to plan ahead to cross this off the list.

boomer Platinum

I agree that you made the right choice.  The views are stunning and the area is very walkable.  Old Ebbitt Grille is always a great meal.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...