6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 11:07 AM by profchiara RSS

Amsterdam Rennisance

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am going to the Amsterdam Rennisance for a few nights in June.  Any reports on what to see and may one take the subway to the hotel? Jerry Morgan (also Prof Cheri) if you see this would appreciate your views on the city and this property--are there some things i just do not wish to miss? Thanks..Bill

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amsterdam Rennisance
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Bill,

Good to hear from you!

Yes!  You will want to take the train from the airport to the main train station in AMS.  You cannot mess up!  Just get on at the airport and take it to the station and walk to the city (Unless you have too many bags).  The Ren. is just a short couple of blocks away and no problem.

From the Hotel, you can walk to all you will want to see!

For an inexpensive meal, try Madre Maria's. (Pictured), a short walk and a three course, wood fired meal, for around ten euro's!  The steak was great!

Enjoy, and relax on the communter train!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jerry Thanks!  Bill

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

I stayed there for several days around Thanksgiving, and it was nice.  The hotel has just done a remodel, so it is pleasant, and I found the concierge very helpful.  I only had one piece of luggage, so the walk to the Renaissance once I got off the train at Central Station was easy: it's only about two blocks, but be sure you ask directions if you plan to walk with your luggage as I did.

I'm not sure if Madre Mia's that Jerry mentioned is the same place I'm thinking of, but I did eat at a small, nice Italian restaurant right by the Renaissance: turn left out of the front door, walk to the end of the block, and cross the street.  Another good place is the seafood restaurant, across the street from the hotel, and a couple of yards down a small alley.

Amsterdam is a "walking city," so if you don't have all the rain that I did when I was there, you should enjoy exploring using the Renaissance as a base.  I always like to take one of the canal boat tours: I've done that twice now, and the boats are covered, so you can go in the Winter.  Also, the embarkation point is right by the hotel.  Be sure to go the the open air flower market (the largest in the world and open all year round).  A'dam is a very individualistic city: people like different things, exploring differnent areas.  Just get a map and start walking.  If you get lost, just ask someone, as the Dutch seem to be a friendly, 99% English-speaking people.  Have fun!

Thanks to "diogenes72" for your views on Amsterdam, I have copied them. Have a great new year--Bill

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Bill,

After reading Diog. comments, I could not agree with him more on the boat tour.  It would be a first for me!

Likewise, the other place that I really enjoy is the Anne Frank home.  It was really interesting and memorable.  It is a good walk from the hotel, but there are great pastry shops to enjoy along the way.  

Put a couple of pictures in here for you to enjoy!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Bill,
    Alas it's been quite some time since I've been to Amsterdam.  I specialize in late medieval/Renaissance French and Italian history so it's only if one of my publishers there needs to see me that I get to go these days.  But have you been to Ghent?  It's one of my favorite Marriotts in a glorious town!

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...