53 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2016 8:14 PM by shaunfromcolumbus,ohio RSS

Why no Waffle's at Springhill Suites?

1940haha Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What is the logic of Marriott corporate management to only allow Springhill Suites to offer waffle's on the weekend?

Don't tell me there are no kids at your hotels during the week and, I'm a big kid, hotel waffles is one of my guilty pleasures when I travel. Let's re-consider this Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why no Waffle's at Springhill Suites?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Oh our ole Waffle Mastererc would certainly block SHS from his go to list during the week!!!   This is not good for foxglove either as I believe he still enjoys a Waffle now and again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

Is this a new policy for the chain or just an individual property? Although I haven't staid in SHS recently, they previously had waffles on weekdays.

1940haha Platinum

It's been in place since (at least) Spring of 2014.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Last year I stayed in  many RI's, SpringHills and even a TownSuites and I can't remember there being no waffles.

I do believe it is quite (and logically) possible that they want to take the machines out due to the number of injuries.  Especially to small children whose parents are such idiots they let them operate the machines.

Platinum 28 Reviews

It seems to me that this should be under IAH's weird posting.

I have been in many breakfast rooms of all Marriott Brands that serve breakfast (not FS) .

Most of these properties (SP, RI etc) are franchises.  And, I believe that they have some latitude as to what is offered for breakfast.

It is beyond my wildest imagination (And believe me I  have a wild imagination) that no waffles is a mandate from Marriott.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I heard a rumor that Marriott is eliminating waffles from all its breakfast offerings, because some people have become addicted to Waffles, just as many airlines no longer serve peanuts to protect those with sever peanut allergies.

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist  That is the stupidest thing I ever heard.  "Addicted to waffles"  I got a good laugh out of that.........................................Oh!  I forgot MY NAME IS MISTERCHK AND I'M A WAFFLEHOLIC"......Got to go, late for my meeting (on step 4)

@misterchk Are you suggesting that I made up the rumor?  (Just get to your meeting!)

BTW, I have my 2nd round of chemo coming up on Wednesday.   As Chicago said in that great song,  I'm felling stronger every day.  I  feel better than I have felt since the first symptoms appeared in mid November.  Clearly, the first round has shrunk the tumors and the Dr. says the 2nd round should do even more!

Thanks for all your encouragement.

Paul

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist    That's my top rating when I hear good news!!

And yes - I think you made up the story - I got so upset (being an admitted addict, I was about to go out and have waffles. But so much hard work and attending the meetings made me call my sponsor/  As he is supposed to do, if rushed me off to the closest bar to keep me away from those machines!!!!   I'm now on my 3rd Margarita!!!!

Have a Margarita for me.  I'm not allowed to have any alcohol, these days.

I shamefully admit, that you are correct.  I made it up, but with my current medical (good) news, I've been a bit mischievous.  (And as I said I can't drink.  I can't travel.  What am I supposed to do for pleasure, besides make mischief?)

phctourist,

Just back from a quick trip and catching up on waffles and your treatments......AWESOME news, good to learn thing are going well.  I will also "take one for the team" and have some "prescribed meds" for you that appear to be Rita's and more!

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist

In California certain dispensaries in my neighborhood have opened where I can acquire for you "natural herbal products" for medicinal purposes.

If needed don't hesitate to ask.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

TThat's great news. It's a long journey, but these are really encouraging first steps. I remember my former mother-in-law commenced chemo, and though it was tough felt better within just a few weeks. Her improvement gradually continued and after moving onto Radiotherapy was given the all clear. She's been tumour and med-free for over a decade now. You're making the best start.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

This is good news!  Thanks for keeping us informed.  We're rooting for you!

superchief1 Platinum

My daughter has a similar condition so I recently bought an industrial strength double waffle maker at Costco. We now enjoy waffles every weekend. She likes her syrup with some waffle, and I think she may be part Elf. I will admit that it makes great waffles, but I limit my addiction to weekends only. Perhaps I can make some extra income during the week by bringing it to the local SHS.

NOooo, say it isn't so! I'm all fixed up for my first ever Springhill Suites stay after the September-Insiders-Ale-Quaffing-And-Curry-Gutting weekend in September when bejacob is taking me county collecting, and has determined I should be inducted into the happy world of SHS, after only 10 years of Marriott membership! Reading misterchk thread Re: MY NAME IS MISTERCHK AND I'M A WAFFLEHOLIC I really hoped the SHS would at least have waffles, and possibly one of those natty pancake making machines so I can get my morning carb laden sugar-fix breakfast underway. It would be disappointing to find no waffles...

brightlybob You can always get waffles at a Fairfield inn.  Just don't tell misterchk.

Phew, now I just need to arrange the September-Insiders-Ale-Quaffing-And-Curry-Gutting weekend at a FFI.

WooHoo

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

We may have to pull a few strings brightlybob. Surely as a Featured Insider Emeritus, you are entitled to a SHS waffle, weekend or no weekend.

I'm trying to think back to my last weekday stay at a SHS. My most recent experience was on a weekend and I definitely had a waffle for breakfast.

I did notice that there is a Waffle House not far from the JW Houston. Perhaps foxglove and misterchk can arrange an excursion.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Bob said he wanted to spend more time at the bar

Platinum 28 Reviews

bejacob  There are many "earth shaking issues" being discussed.

To begin with you have mentioned that brightlybob  has special status "Surely as a Featured Insider Emeritus".

You "anoint" an alien who talks funny and doesn't even accept our spelling on this site and and compund the problem by  elevating him (once again) "Surely as a Featured Insider Emeritus".

Now, don't ask me how I know this, but our "brightly" was bed ridden this past weekend - he laid in bed in pain!!!! 

Are you expecting him to expire soon, hence the "emeritus" title??

Now, the real low blow, I am fighting an addiction - an addiction that has caused me to be violent by throwing young children out of hotel dining rooms if they refused to yield and let me have the waffle machine to myself. I have  become an alcoholic as my sponsor at waffleholics keeps taking me to bars as a way to keep me away from waffles. 

AND YOU WANT ME TO GIVE YOU A TOUR OF A WAFFLE HOUSE - You are number two on my dueling list when we get to Texas sir!!!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

As a former governor from Texas once said, "Oops."

Pardon my choice of words. I thought "Featured Insider Emeritus" sounded better than "Former Featured Insider" or worse, "Washed up bloke, who was once a Featured Insider." Bear in mind, I too was once a Featured Insider though that was nigh on two year ago now. My how the time flies. In fact, brightlybob followed me as Featured Insider (when was it Bob, like June 2014?). I've sort of lost track of all of them since (Frogs, jakeal, 7, muppetwrangler, juscool76, guidedog613, and foxglove). Not sure if that's everyone (apologies to whomever I might have forgotten).

As to the second item misterchk I promise to make you stay behind while foxglove and Bob make a Waffle House run. We wouldn't want you to fall off the proverbial wagon. Might I buy you a drink, sir? Or is that also a sore subject?

BTW, I must have missed it. Who is number one on your dueling list?

Platinum 28 Reviews

Please note bejacob that my "problem" is Waffles! Not alcohol.

Although I have mentioned that alcohol is the work of the "devil" it appears (from what I've heard all my life) "you are the devil incarnate" - "you have the devil in you" and my mother's favorite line - "where is that little devile"!!!

I thought making you read the above will motivate you to keep me inebriated the entire visit in Texas!

The answer to your second question is:  I DON'T REMEMBER for heavan's sake - I'm even older than IAH!!!! how do you expect me to remember.  I will keep my eye out for anyone that shows up with dueling pistols.

You are definitely second

that's why we need Bob around as the torch gets passed to a younger generation

Psst, bejacob Don't tell, but misterchk challenged me to a duel first so you get him only after I've finished, and I doubt he'll survive our duel, fought as it will be by my choice of weapon, blindingly bright shirts!

Platinum 28 Reviews

That solved the mystery of who the first victim will be - (you forgot a very important factor - I am an experienced Hawaiian visitor - many years ago I had sunglasses made to block out the glare from Hawaiian shirts.

Wafflehouse! Is that like Dunkin Doughnuts, but for waffles?

Why can't we get these All-American-Sugar-Goodness chains over here?

Strange as it might seem I've only spent 55 days of my 49-year life (as it will be on Megabonus Announcement Day - Yes folks, I must be the luckiest Platinum in the land, sharing my birthday with Marriotts annual megabonus announcement!) in the USA, yet still haven't sampled Waffle House, Wendys or Dunkin Doughnuts! I've also managed to avoid Mr Lube!

happy birthday bob

Interesting.  Waffle House is nothing like Dunkin.  It's kind of like a Diner, that specializes in waffles and other breakfast items.  Service is quick and it's mostly dine in as opposed to carry out. They make hash brown potatoes that are better than anyone else and the coffee is decent.  I often stop there for lunchwhen travelling in the South.  Not nearly as upscale as Dunkin Doughnuts.  It's a southern phenomenon, and, Bob, you are missing something.

Dunkin is not a bad doughnut and their coffee is excellent.  BTW, Dunkin Doughnuts was founded in a suburb of Boston (Quincy) but is now owned by an International firm and Nigel Travis, the CEO is a Brit. 

Company Snapshot | Dunkin' Donuts

By the way, your failure to try Wendys  has resulted in missing nothing.  I would only eat there if I were very, very hungry and I had no other options, with very few exceptions.  (There are worse places in America, but not many.)

Nevertheless, I do recommend that you try a Waffle House on your next trip, here.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I am only kidding about Waffle House, I just had to post the video since I have some experience with them and back in the 80s/90s he isn't far off. They have taken some strides forward in recent years. You are right, the hash browns are good, I like them. The rest of the breakfast menu is just okay, eggs, toast, and the like. The waffles are decent. I would never go there for anything but breakfast but that's just me.

As far as DD is concerned. I literally have three within a one mile radius of where I live. If you go out 5 miles, It is over a dozen locations. I happen to live their coffee and I think their breakfast items are pretty decent as well. If you become a perks member you earn points toward free coffee, and they are always running bonus points promos that are easy to fulfill. You can basically get a free coffee like every 6 cups which is FAR better than anything Starbucks offers.

Platinum 28 Reviews

ks77  You described what is wrong with this country !!

You are surrounded by Waffle House and Dunkin locations and never was a mention of the inequities facing your brethren in California.

You and millions like you don't give a "*****" that there are Americans that can't contribute to this discussion.  Can't contribute because of the animosity of citizens who don't care that the Left Coast doesn't have Waffle Houses and only this year the first DD has opened.

I say "SHAME ON YOU SIR" and SHAME ON ALL THOSE APATHETIC to this inequity in our country.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I actually don't have any Waffle House locations near me. The last time I went to one was in Carlisle PA about a year and a half ago. NJ doesn't have any locations but PA has some. DD on the other hand, we have hundreds in NJ, we probably have too many of them really.

I grew up outside Richmond VA, and there are lots of WH locations there, that's where I got my education on the plaid pancake.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Excuses, excuses! 

That doesn't forgive your non-action to the suffering of citizens on  the Left Coast.

This could be a matter for the ACLU!

Chuck, Stop with the whining!  You complain about us tempting you with waffles , in spite of your addiction.  Now you complain that you don't have a waffle house.  You can't have it both ways.

BTW if you really feel deprived of waffles, drive to Phoenix, AZ where they have lots of WH locations.  It's only about 5 hours.  (Leave at 4:00 AM and have breakfast around 9:00  AM.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist  Go ahead, make fun of me and my waffle addiction.  Even when a day dream about what it would be like to be surrounded by Waffle Houses you criticize me even though I haven't officially "fallen off the seat at an RI".

Then you compound the attack on this defenseless man by telling everyone that I could drive to Phoenix is five hours.  You must have some experience back in the 1960's when you could make it, with a little luck in 5:30 - but your lack of experience of the trip in the 21st century which includes new residents along the way (approx an increase of 5000000) can take up to seven hours - I would never make it - I would stop at the first Denny's to officially fall off the "seat".

You are very close to becoming number 3 in line for a duel in Houston (after I do away with BB and Bejacob).

I'm calling my sponsor at waffleholics.  I need him to get me to a bar!!

Never been to Phoenix but I figured 320 mile in 5 hours doesn't seem so tough!

If you want to duel, come to VA.  I won't be in Houston (ever-  too hot & too humid!)

Of course, since it was your challenge, I get to choose weapons!  Hot waffles, covered with gooey syrup, thrown from 10 paces apart!!!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I will then describe to you why the 380 Miles from my end of Los Angeles to Phoenix is something that one must experience to appreciate.

There is close to 40 million people in California - 25 million is located in one third of the state known as SoCal.

When travelling to PHX (by car) one would be passing about 18 million of the total.

The problem is there is very very few people from the time you leave the Palm Springs/Indio area (Interstate 10) until you arrive at the outskirts of PHX .  The portion of the trip  (Palm Springs to PHX) is two thirds of the trip. 

You do the math - communities totally 18 million souls to pass the first 120 miles of this trip.........on a Friday Night that automobile trip can take 3 - 4 hours!!!!

so will be easy for you to attend spring training

Platinum 28 Reviews

Jerry, I wouldn't drive.  I would fly - LAX or BUR/PHX is welll worth the costs rather than driving.

Although it is less convenient to fly out of LAX - UA actually has a very inexpensive fare.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

VA is the best isn't it? WH addiction could definitely be taken care of there haha

I rarely go to a WH when I'm at home.  I like to make my own waffles and hash browns , and those are what I eat at a WH.  On the road, when I'm in the mood for breakfast food at lunch time I frequently stop for a WH on the road.  In truth, I make a better waffle (multi grain) than they do, but I cannot match the hash browns.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Yes, the Dunkin Donuts Perks membership is awesome.  Here's how it works for me:  I signed up my husband for a Perks membership, and he keeps re-charging the card and using it himself.  The e-mails for the free coffee come to my in-box, and voila!  I get the free coffee!  Now if we could only figure out such a perks program for waffles, we could tempt misterchk to come off the wagon...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That's basically what I do! My wife and I both have cards but I give her all my free coffees because she deserves them

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Happy birthday, BB! And you're not missing much at Mr. Lube. The waffles there tend to be a bit on the greasy side.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Had to post this....it was the perfect opportunity. Short vid...I personally love it. IAHFLYR, I think you will enjoy it too.

Jim Gaffigan - Waffle House - KING BABY - YouTube

GGreat clip. Now I know so much more about Waffle House that breakfast at Mr Lube sounds good

LMxO......great vid ks77 now we all know how you spend your days when the baby is sleeping!!

We will have none of this "family reunion" stuff happening at Waffle House when you all get to Houston.....oh no.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I have been sitting here all day and I must say that this discussion about the Waffle House is in VERY POOR TASTE. 

On the day of the year that we celebrate MLK's birthday.  The most important civil rights statesman in the history of our country.  A man that spent his life trying to bring us together. 

Instead of honoring Dr. King you all talk of how great an institution is that has excluded one of the largest segments of our nation.  A company that has turned it's back on no less that 13% of the country ON PURPOSE!

Sure, you can go to the Waffle House.  Tell everyone how "wonderful" it is.  Even make jokes about Misterchk's addiction.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!  THE WAFFLE HOUSE HAS TURNED IT'S BACK ON THE GREATEST STATE IN THE COUNTRY.  APPROXIMATELY 40 MILLION CALIFORNIANS DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO A WAFFLE HOUSE.

We will get the last laugh - with this blatant "slap in the face" let them try and open a location in this grand republic.

Do you think for one second that they will be welcome after California declares it's independence from the U.S.?

No my friends - we will not have "those people" operate in our state - NO WAY - KEEP YOUR WAFFLES OUT OF CALIFORNIA - WE HAVE SURVIVED WITHOUT YOU VERY SUCCESSFULLY.  "AND FRANKLY MADAM I DON'T GIVE A *****!".

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

Good point. I thought the waffles were standard all days of the week. It doesn't take much to offer it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...