6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2016 11:00 AM by peymanagement RSS

Marriott Purchase of Delta Hotels

pat2927 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott purchase the Canadian Chain of Delta hotels and resorts last year. I must confess it has been one of the most awful transition and merger I have ever seem. The communication was so tragic, I gave up even wanting to deal with Marriott Rewards.

They did not even recognize your GOLD status in the Delta Rewards Program and it was like you never existed. The misinformation was tragic and the way former Delta customers were treated was terrible. Now they have purchased Starwood Hotels - I am certain the same mess will happen. I only stay at Marriott when I have no choice, but dread what will happen to SPG account.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Purchase of Delta Hotels
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi pat2927, welcome to the Insiders Community!  This is a great place to talk about all things travel.  From sharing your recommendations and experiences, like above, to learning the ins and outs of the Rewards program.  I'm carat and I am a moderator of this community along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.

I'd like to provide some clarity in regards to the Delta Hotels Merger.  Though the merger was announced some time ago, Delta hotels will officially join Marriott Rewards on January 28, 2016 with 14 more hotels following in late April.  To see which hotels are participating and for additional information, please follow the link below

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/delta-hotels.mi

Also, if you have any additional questions in regards to this, please feel to reach out.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pat2927 Member

Thanks Carat. I am aware of the start date being incorporated into the Marriott portfolio etc. But should I have lost & not benefited from my GOLD standard in the previous Delta program versus just being treated like a nobody? They should have transitioned people over much better. The websites were quite chaotic as well. Regardless, thank you for reaching out. I cant wait to see the transition with SPG

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

I am not too sure of the problems you have been having with the Delta/Marriott merger, your statements are very general and not specific to any particular issue.

Although Marriott Rewards at Delta Hotels will not start for a couple of more weeks, I took a reservation at the Delta in Winnipeg because of the convenient location of this hotel. I got an amazing welcoming email from the manager at the Delta and he asked if there was any special occasion that I was celebrating with my stay.  I had a great overnight stay and was treated to a great room on the concierge level and 2 vouchers for breakfast in their restaurant.  I would definitely stay again.

This merger has been great for those of us that travel throughout Canada on business and for pleasure, it gives us some more options on choosing a place to call home for a spell.

pat2927 Member

My comments clearly stated my issues- not being recognized for my gold standard in the Delta Privilege program. Yes, when you go to a Delta Hotel, they make you feel special as always- that is what I miss. I do live in Canada and travel extensively for business & pleasure- I would just not have liked to have lost that Canadian feeling of the Delta Touch.

The communication with Marriott Rewards centre was horrific - misinformation, lack of knowledge and a condescending tone when speaking with customers. Despite they have your full name, they consistently came back with typo in my name.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

That is so unfortunate that this has been happening to you. Give Marriott a chance and you will find that they do get it right.  I think as with any transition it is not always a smooth process and sometimes communication is not optimum but believe me when I say that this is a positive move in my eyes and with my recent stay in Winnipeg things seem to be moving along nicely.

Hope you get your status aligned and it all works out for you.

peymanagement Platinum

I am Canadian too, I have Delta gold status. I also have Marriott platinum status, Starwood gold status and Hilton Diamond status. I stayed 76 nights last year at Marriott, two at starwood and eleven at Delta. The program levels are not the same. Gold at Starwood and Delta is the same as Silver at Marriott. Hilton diamond is the same as Marriott gold. I understand your disappointment but when I was a Marriott silver I got the occasional upgrade or late checkout  but nothing else.

If we are all quiet about this Marriott may comp delta gold for gold, but that would be generous. Now if you are up in the 40 to 50 night range, after the 28th call them and I am sure they will accommodate.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...