6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2016 11:00 AM by clebert RSS

St Kitts Marriott Resort

worldtraveller999 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just wanted to pass along my experience with the St Kitts Marriott Resort.  I recently travelled to St Kitts for a quick weekend getaway with my girlfriend.  My stay began with the front desk putting us in a room that was already occupied.  We walked in on a family that was changing clothes which was very uncomfortable for all parties.  After finally getting into our new room, we went to the beach to take a walk, only to have the staff politely chase us away as they were in the middle of doing a promotional photo shoot for the hotel.  Since we couldn't walk on the beach, we decided to go for dinner.  During check in, the clerk told us that one of the restaurants was serving a fried fish special. We asked if we needed reservations and were told that it wouldn't be necessary as the occupancy at the hotel wasn't high.  When we went to the restaurant, we were told that reservations were needed but she would fit us in.  I am not a fan of fried fish and asked to see a menu but was told that they only served the special (fried fish) for the night.  I asked if it would be possible if I could order something from another restaurant on the property and bring it in as my girlfriend really wanted to do the fish fry, They said it would be ok so I ordered food as we waited for the table.  After one and a half hours of waiting, we were told that there was no more fish and she could have lobster instead.  At this point, she was starving and we were out of options so she ordered the lobster which took another 45 minutes.  By the time her food came, the dish I ordered was cold and inedible.  There were several other parties at the restaurant who waited very long to also find out they were out of fish.  We ended up spending over $75 dollars on food we didn't eat.  Unfortunately, the first day put a cloud over our entire trip and needless to say we ate off property for the remainder of the trip.

Upon checking out, I relayed this story to the manager on duty who was apologetic and said he would make it up to me with additional Marriott points.  After 2 weeks and not seeing any points credited to my account, I called and spoke to the another manager.  Again I received apologies and promises to make things right.  Well it's been an additional 2 weeks and nothing still.  This is not the kind of service that I'm used to as a Marriott Platinum member.  If you're planning a Caribbean vacation, I'd steer clear of St Kitts!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Saint Kitts
  • Re: St Kitts Marriott Resort
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi worldtraveller999.  Welcome to the Insiders community.  This is a great forum to talk about all things travel related.  From sharing your recommendations to talking about both the good and the bad experiences.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions or issues, like above, please feel free reach out to any of us, we're always here to help.

Sounds like you've had a frustrating experience.  I'd like to see if I can provide clarity.  Would you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number, the dates of  your stay as well as any additional information regarding this stay.  Thanks in advance. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I've stayed at that property several times and always had a great time. Sorry to hear of your hardships because the staff have always been eager to help. The one thing that I always recommend to somebody staying at the St Kitts Marriott is to eat offsite, not because the onsite restaurants aren't good (which they are), but because there's so many great places to eat within walking distance. My personal favorite has always been Shiggidy Shack.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I understand your frustration. I stayed there for a week in Dec 2013. Overall the stay was good. I did have one small frustrating thing happen while I was there. I never drink frozen drinks except on vacation. I was really looking forward to having a mango daiquiri. I was in the pool the first day of the trip and swam over to the swim up bar. I tried ordering one. They said "Sorry we don't have the mango" but I can make any of the others. No problem I thought, I have several more days I can order one later. So I got a strawberry one and it was good. Two days later I tried ordering one again and still no mango. I then tried ordering one at one of the on site restaurants. Same issue, we are out. I know it is a small thing, but why have items on a menu that you don't have the ingredients for?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

worldtraveller999, I too am sorry to hear of your problems.  We have stayed at St. Kitts and eaten at all the restaurants and had fantastic service everywhere.  I would highly recommend St. Kitts and think that you just had an unusual situation!  ks77, we didn't have any problems with menu items being unavailable, but I did spend a few years in the transportation industry and know first hand how expensive and time-consuming it is to get goods shipped into places like the Caribbean and Hawaii.  Apparently they aren't growing mangoes on the island

worldtraveller999 Platinum

Thanks all.  I'm in the transportation industry also and I know things go wrong.  That's why I brought it up to management TWICE so they could possibly fix issues for future guests.  An apology goes a long way but when you promise to make amends and don't follow thru, it just adds insult to injury.  I would assume that if the managers don't follow thru on promises made to me then they aren't taking any actions to correct problems at the resort and that's not good for future guests.  You want to be able to enjoy and relax on the small escapes that you get to take and unfortunately it didn't happen this time.  The staff was nice but I spent good money to enjoy the beach and dinner that day and neither happened.  A little good will would have went a long way, not empty promises.  There's lots of resorts in the Caribbean...just saying!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

worldtraveller999, going to an event clearly billed as a "fish fry" then complaining that you don't like fried fish and asking for food to be brought in from another restaurant is about as high maintenance as you can get.  Next time try a luxury property where they are used to special requests.  There is a Four Seasons on Nevis that has lots of VIP guests, so you'd probably do better over there.  As you said yourself, there are lots of resorts in the Caribbean.

As for giving you a room key to an occupied room, that one is pretty inexcusable!  There are quite a few threads on these boards discussing similar issues, so apparently it happens quite a bit.

I totally agree that if management promises something, they better follow through.  I have experienced the same empty promises at other properties.  Better not to promise if you can't deliver!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...