22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2016 9:32 AM by pingreeman RSS

Incorrect end-of-year/rollover calculation

ndn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

lindseyh or carat,

My rollover statement just came in and it is incorrect. I had 122 nights in 2015 before my final stay, which was 7 nights from 12/25 to 01/01. These 7 nights should have counted for LAST year and given me 129 nights for the year, rollover over 54 nights. However, they seem to have counted this year. I currently show 7 nights stayed this year and only 47 rollover nights (1 more from credit card spend).

How can we fix this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Incorrect end-of-year/rollover calculation
    peymanagement Platinum

I am sure it will work out. Give them a few days and if it is still wrong call customer service.

By the way you are better off having the 7 nights in 2016 as they will roll over into 2017 if you meet plat again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Just a thought but I would think this is better for you. If all of those nights counted as 2016 then that means you can possible earn more nights to rollover into 2017. If they count them as last year and  rollover nights from 2015, those nights can't be rolled over again to 2017. As long as you were credited the 7 nights, I would think this is a better situation having them all count as 2016 nights since you obviously already made the Platinum level. I am not sure I would complain about this or "fix" it since it will only end up as nights that will not be allowed to carry over to 2017.

ndn Platinum

No, taxman193, that is a zero-sum gain. If I rolled them from last year to this year, they would have counted last year and this year; however, they did not count last year. If they count this year and roll over to next year, that is the same number of nights as if I had rolled them over from last year to this year...The only difference is that it requires me to stay 75+ nights again this year to get that zero-sum gain.

If I complain to get it fixed, I will get them counted last year and then as roll over this year, too.    

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

ndn - I agree with both taxman193 and brightlybob points of view. You already have P-status from 2015 without the 7 nights, so to have any extra paid nights applied to 2015 is a "waste" towards making a status you already have, i.e., P-status in 2016.

As paid nights in 2015 (become rollover in 2016), they provide one year of help to you in meeting status during your earning period of 2016 (as rollover nights). However, as paid nights in 2016, not only do the nights apply toward your earning period of 2016, these 7 nights would be potential rollover nights for 2017, thus helping you achieve status during the earning period of 2017.

In summary, you get two years of use if treated as paid in 2016; if treated as paid in 2015, you get one year of use. Do not try to "fix" an issue that is working in your favor.

ndn Platinum

pingreeman, You can agree with them, but I would check your math first It isn't working in my favor. It's a zero-sum gain--and only if I make enough nights this year to roll over the 7 that shouldn't have counted. If i don't make enough nights to roll them over, I lose 7 lifetime nights.

I am really confused by your statement. You said you were credited the 7 nights but credited this year instead of 2015, If that's true, you are in a better situation. It is not a zero-sum game and you don't want this to be fixed.

Let's take an example, you said you had 122 nights in 2015 without the 7 nights. Therefore, the extra 7 nights credited in 2015 do absolutely nothing for you (unless it meant you met the threshold for PP). The only thing it would mean is that 7 nights get rolled over to 2016. Now let's say you end up with 85 total nights in 2016 with the 7 rollover nights from 2015. That would mean that your rollover nights to 2017 would be 85 less the 7 2015 rollover nights less the 75 nights to make Platinum in 2016 = 3 nights rolled over to 2017. On the other hand if you keep the 7 nights credited as 2016 then you would have 85 - 75 = 10 rollover nights to 2017. This is not a zero-sum situation and you are better off especially if you need the nights in 2017 to make Platinum.

What am I missing here? I would be happy they credited the 7 nights to 2016 since you have already made Platinum for 2015.

ndn Platinum

You are missing the point. If I got the 7 nights credited in 2015, then I would have had 129 nights and rolled over 54 nights. Basically, I would have 7 more lifetime nights than I do now. If I stay fewer than 75 nights this year, I will lose out on the 7 double-counted (rollover) nights for lifetime status. I only get them if I stay more than 75 nights in 2016.

Huh ??? Still confused. All nights count toward your lifetime satus. You said the 7 nights were credited to you in 2016 instead of 2015, is this right? If so, then you did receive the 7 night credit just in 2016 instead of 2015. The 7 nights you were credited in 2016 willl still count toward you lifetime status. I guess I am not undertsanding. 

Maybe there is a calculation I didn't realize when it comes to Lifetime nights? Are you saying they actually add rollover nights to your accumulative total Lifetime nights? In other words, they double count the nights for Lifetime nights so in addition to receiving the 7 nights credit toward your lifetime nights for the paid nights when they occur, they also add your total rollover nights again to your Lifetime night totals at the end of the year so your actually receiving credit twice for the same nights? If so, I was unaware of this and it makes no sense but I at last understand your issue now.

ndn Platinum

rollover nights count twice    , yes

Learn somthing new everyday. I did not realize that and have no idea why Marriott would add the same nights twice to your lifetime total. I now understand your issue. Thanks.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm sure if you ring the Plat line they will deal with it, though I suspect it will take some time and chasing. If you're likely to make 75 nights this year under your own steam then this really is a zero sum game - with the benefit that those 7 nights will rollover to 2017 and if in 2017 you didn't make the 75 nights, you might well need them!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

NDN: I have a similar issue, with a stay that ended on 1/1/16, which was for 10 nights (all in 2015, as the last night was 12/31, with check out on 1/1). I called Marriott rewards CS and informed them, (thought for full disclosure, its not an issue as I am a life plat, but the ethical side of me said they should get it right, rollover benefit or detriment). They (MRCS) told me its a known issue and that many had called in to report it. I called in on 1/6/16, as I had 10 nights in 2016 showing up in my account, which was impossible when there were only 6 nights in 2016 ( I was afraid of disrupting the time-space continuum sort of like in back to the future, part I). So I reported it, but it still shows in 2016. I feel for you and understand the issue you are bringing up, but this seems to be par for the course with Marriott IT.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi ndn.  Thanks for reaching out, I'd definitely like to take a look into this for you.  Would you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number?  Thanks in advance!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

OK, not really a reply but a question to you all.  I hit 101 nights at year-end 2015.  I was expecting to see 26 nights roll-over to my 2016 balance.  When I called Customer Service, they indicated because I rolled-over 15 nights from 2014 into 2015 they subtract the 15 nights from the 101 which leaves me with only 11 nights.  I would have thought the 15 nights from 2014 would count only against 2015 but really count for 2015 and 2016???

Appreciate any insight thoughts on this.... Just feels like it is a double hit to your night count.....

Thanks for any input....

Rollover nights count twice - TRUE - but only in determining annual status. A rollover night used to retain status does NOT count toward lifetime nights earned.

ndn Platinum

False. Rollover nights do count toward lifetime status. I had 175 lifetime nights  the end of last year. When they rolled  the 47 nights, miscounted the 7 for  year, and then added 1 from credit card spend, I had 230 lifetime nights. This, the 47 nights counted.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

ndn is right about the double counting of rollover nights toward lifetime status. I just rolled 19 nights and my lifetime nights also jumped by 19. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't make all that much difference. After all, lifetime status needs both nights and points.

I guess I stand corrected - rollover night count towards lifetime status.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...