13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2016 9:01 AM by iahflyr RSS

Transfer Points to Spouse

sychosly Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What happens if my wife transfers some of her points to my account for a reservation that we want to book. Then later the reservation gets cancelled? What happens to the points that got transferred? Do they go back to her account or stay in my account?

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Transfer Points to Spouse
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The points will go back to the account the reservation was made from.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi sychosly.  Welcome to Insiders!  As you may have seen this is a great forum to discuss all things travel related.  From sharing your experiences and recommendations to learning the ins and outs of the Rewards program, we cover it all.  I am carat and I moderate the community along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help!   Below, I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

In regards to your question, IAHFLYR is right on the money, the points will go back to your account, the account the reservation was made from.    Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Again, welcome!  Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Hey carat,

There is a second posting of the same question for some reason. Re: Transfer Points to Spouse

orbori Platinum

HI Cara

Realize this is an old post, but wondered if you could answer a follow up question to your answer above. In the new terms and conditions for transfer of points, does the receiving member have to redeem the points at the time they are transferred, or does this only apply to transfers of over 50K points?

Also, if points are redeemed but then the reservation is cancelled, does the receiving member have any obligation to redeem the points within a certain timeframe?

Thanks again for all your help!!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi orbori.  This is a great question!  If you transfer points to another members account, that member does not need to make a redemption stay in order to keep those points.  Once you have transferred them, they will remain in that account until the member decides to use them.  Additionally, if the member makes a redemption stay using the points that were transferred and cancels that reservation, the points will be returned to their account. In situation like these, it is best to make sure the certificate that is created for the redemption stay is also canceled so the points return to the account.  Feel free to let me know of any additional questions you may have.

carat,

Just to clarify, are you saying that transferred points will never expire even if the account has no activity for two years?  Or do they fall under the same umbrella that was effective on February 1, 2016 where all points will expire if there is no account activity for two years?

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi IAHFLYR

These points do fall within the points expiration policy. Also, please note that gifting or transferring points, or receiving points as a gift or transfer do not count as qualifying activities towards maintaining an active status in the Marriott Rewards Program.

Thanks!

I kind of figured the transferred points would be part of the expiration policy, but wanted to be sure we are all on the same page.  Thanks much AndrewT for the reply.

ten Platinum

Just curious, if points are transferred to a spouse, does that quanity of points get added to the spouse's lifetime status?  For instance, if my wife has 10,000 lifetime points and I transfer 5,000 to her, does her lifetime status points become 15,000?

thecentury303 Platinum

I seriously doubt it is the case.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, points transfers do effect lifetime balances.

Points transferred from your account are deducted from your lifetime balance.

Points transferred into your account are added to your lifetime balance.

Platinum

Is it possible to transfer a spouse to another member, and if so, what are the rules? Inquiring minds want to know (tm.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

TTransferring points used to be really convoluted but the rules now are simple. You can transfer up to 50,000 points each year from your account to any other Marriott Rewards Member be they spouse, brother, sister, friend, whatever. That's it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...