9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2016 5:50 PM by razorbackfan RSS

The Whales Are Returning To Maui

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

When we heard that the whales were late returning to Maui we were concerned because seeing them was the main focus of our upcoming trip.  I've been watching the Hyundai Tournament of Champions which is being contested at the course at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua, Maui.  They were even talking about the whales being slow to return to the warm waters off Maui. According to the announcers, there are more whales now; therefore, the competition for food in the Alaskan waters is greater.  The whales need to eat enough before they leave the Alaskan waters to sustain them through their journey to Hawaii so they are staying longer in order to eat enough.  With all that being said, the broadcast has treated viewers to incredible photos of whales... big whales, little whales, breaching whales, playful whales....well, you get the idea.  It leads me to believe there will be plenty of whale sightings while we are in Maui.

The Ritz Carlton is getting some fantastic publicity as the host of this tournament.  I wish we had enough money or points to stay there.

whale.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Maui, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: The Whales Are Returning To Maui
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Gorgeous picture, now make sure Jordan wins today!!

The Ritz is a splendid spot that we had the luck of staying at a few years ago on our last trip to Maui.  However, I would still prefer to be down at Kaanapali Beach. 

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy some of the fine food in the area.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The rate at the Ritz is "from" $4,870 a night for two of the nights I checked.  I could not open the Ritz Carlton site to see what was included.

What restaurants do you recommend?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW, that is silly stupid for a rate like that, but when we stayed it was mid December and got a wonderful deal.  Of course the TOC was not happening which sure helps drive rates up.

Dining, well hard to beat Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar | Kapalua Resort if you love Sushi and Asian food, the place it great and the Happy Hour is incredible.  They open at 5:30 PM and if you are not in the line by at least 5 PM you will not get a seat for Happy Hour, it's crazy busy but so worth it.

Near the airport, go to Mama's Fish House Restaurant | North Shore Maui Hawaii as it has some wonderful food and gorgeous views from the dining rooms.  It isn't cheap at all just worth the experience at least once.  We always tried to eat a late lunch there before heading to the airport for the flight to IAH when they had the OGG non-stops or most recently the HNL to connect.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

when do they usually start the migration back to Alaska

The Pacific Whale Foundation guarantees whale sightings on their trips until May 15.  We've been told that February is the best month to see them as the waters around Maui are known as "whale soup".  When we visited in February 2014, I was a little disappointed because I was expecting to see more than we saw.  In February 2015, we saw many more whales than we expected.  Not only did we see them on the whale watches, we saw them frolicking in the warm water almost every time we looked at the ocean.  As I said, they are late coming to Maui this year, but I just spoke to someone at the Pacific Whale Foundation and they said the whales are definitely arriving.  We are so pleased with their whale watches that we have never tried any of the others.  We like the sunrise watch from Ma'alaea Harbor and check-in is at 5:45 am.  We will be staying at the Courtyard in Kahalui, so it is a short drive.  For the first time, we are also going on an afternoon watch that leaves from the Lahaina Harbor.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I also was disappointed in 2014.  PWF said that the whales were there but many said they were not seeing them.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

thx I am there very beginning of May

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I've been there twice in the middle of February.  What an amazing time to sit on the beach or lanai and watch them breaching or swimming by. Can't wait to return someday!

Enjoy your trip!  Maui is a great island!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...