8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2016 3:16 PM by doug2016 RSS

Rollover Incorrect

jay-mariott Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I had 109 nights in 2015 of which a few where awards and 15 came from the credit card. I am assuming you should get credit for them - what I see posted in 2016 makes no sense. Tried the combination of different calcs incase they had paid night but no cc nights, or cc nights but no award nights. But whats posted makes absolutely no sense.

How did you go about getting it fixed? I sent a note about this to the customer support contact us form.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover Incorrect
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

These rollover calculations always cause confusion mainly because most members don't realise nights only rollover once. So if in 2014 you rolled over 19 nights to 2015 and your total elite nights* for 31/12/15 is 119, then you accumulated 100 nights in 2015 and 75 are deducted for 2016 Plat leaving you with 25 to rollover.

*Elite nights are a combination of paid nights plus those rolled over from 2014 plus credit card nights plus redeemed nights stayed since November 2015 (redemption nights only began counting in November this year).

I hope this helps

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jay-mariott Platinum

I think this makes sense, let me redo the math (I wish there was a way to tell what I had in rollover from 2014)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi @jay-marriott, I'd like to see if I can provide clarity for you.  Would you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number?  Thanks in advance!

jay-mariott Platinum

tried sending a DM but got an undeliverable bounce back. Could you DM me if possible?

jay-mariott Platinum

thanks carat - just sent you a DM with the info.

doug2016 Gold

I'm having a difficult time understanding why Marriott can't seem to understand why first in, first out rules shouldn't apply to rollover nights.  Example,  I had three rollover nights at the beginning of this year (from 2014).  Counting those three nights, I had 50 nights after a stay in London in November 2015.  This, in theory, would make me Gold for 2016 with zero rollover nights.  Everyone I talked with in the Marriott Rewards program agrees that I would have been Gold with zero rollover nights had I stopped there.  Instead, I stayed another 3 nights at a Marriott in London in December.  My expectation is that those three December 2015 nights would have rolled over into 2016 the same way my excess 2014 nights rolled into 2015.  But no!  Oddly enough, since I now had 53 nights in 2015, they retroactively removed my three 2014 rollover nights because I didn't "need" them to stay Gold.  So, in spite of having stayed an additional 3 nights in December, I am exactly where I was in the middle of November.  I'm still Gold with zero rollover nights.  Could have stayed at another hotel in London in December (possibly for less money) and been in exactly the same position.  I will either find another hotel chain which understand the concept of fairness, or I will make sure I don't stay at another Marriott hotel in 2016 after I reach 50 nights.  You'd think that a corporate executive at a multi-billion dollar enterprise like Marriott would be able to apply logic.

My suggestion is that someone from Marriott talk to someone at Delta Airlines about how MQMs (which are equivalent to "nights" for elite status) roll over.  Delta gets it and has an outstanding rewards program.  I'm not sure why Marriott doesn't.  Sigh!!!!

chris.s Gold

I am pretty sure that the three nights that rolled over into your account from last year (which helped you get to 50) aren't going to re-roll over again for a second consecutive year.  They helped your total to get to 50 for this year but they won't be counted in 2016 figures. I believe if you had stayed 4 nights at the end of December, you would have one rollover night for 2016 (54 less then 3 previously rolled over nights).

doug2016 Gold

I understand how Marriott does it.  They're essentially "loaning" you your own rollover nights in case you need them to reach a particular level, but if you don't, they take back the nights which were yours to begin with.  All other rewards programs (like Delta Airlines) recognize that your earnings are yours.  So once you reach an elite level, anything else earned after that becomes "new" and is carried over.  Not a difficult concept, just one that Marriott is apparently unable to grasp. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...