12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2016 7:06 PM by pluto77 RSS

Airfares to Europe

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are just beginning to think about travel plans for this summer.  Usually by this time, I'm already making reservations especially if we plan to go to Europe or to a National Park in the U.S.  This afternoon I have been looking at fares to Paris or Rome in June.  I am surprised at how high they are, especially considering the price of gas.  I would appreciate comments about fares Marriott Insiders have found if considering a trip or when you have made reservations. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Europe
  • Re: Airfares to Europe
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

most airlines raised fares effective January 1. I have to go to Boston end of April and PHX to BOS is currently 700 cheapest fare. There are a number of low cost airlines now flying to Europe from the US ( they're  European airlines) you may want to check them out .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

When I looked at going somewhere for a couple of days next week-end, we could fly from New Orleans to Boston for $249.  Unfortunately, the weather forecast calls for snow and temperatures below freezing.  Sightseeing in that kind of weather was just not appealing.

I don't know how comfortable (physically and safety wise) we would be flying on a low cost airline, but I will definitely  check to see what is available.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

What fares are you finding, razorbackfan?

I'm looking at $1196 from JFK to GVA and returning from FRA in September/October.  Seems like a bargain compared to last year's $2106 for flight into TLS via AMS and home from Nice.  Can't decide whether to just buy now or wait for a possible sale.

With the airline mergers and less flights, the airlines are flying full and getting their asking prices.

Without any specific destination in mind, I have looked at New Orleans to Paris or Rome or Amsterdam.  The fares run from $1568-$1700+ in June and July.  Silly me, I thought the fares would decrease with the price of fuel going down.   For some reason, I thought they would be in the $1100 range. I realize now that was unrealistic. When we flew to Europe 3 summers ago, we used our Delta Skymiles to fly business class, so I don't remember any details if I did look at prices. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

razorbackfan, Your post prompted me to take a look... You're right, and ouch!  Had no idea the price for late May would be so high.  Around the holidays, there were all kinds of airfare sales for 2016.  I saw ads from LH, AF and QF.  Even AA and AS.  Perhaps I should have struck while the iron was hot, although I didn't dig very deep; they may have only been good for the off or shoulder season.

And did you notice how all of the airlines are very, very similarly priced?

Think on this, I must, but not for too long.  This is one major reason why I don't like traveling in the summer months.  I might have to say no to France in late May this year (for an event with a fixed date and global invites.)

The U.S. economic rebound appears to have been quite successful.

peymanagement Platinum

I think what you are seeing in the US is the impact of airline mergers. I am from Canada and it used to be half the price to go south of the boarder to Buffalo or Detroit to go anywhere, but now it is more expensive even considering our lower Canadian dollar. You halved the number of US carriers that go trans boarder or trans-ocean in the last two years. The price does not work on the basis of fuel costs it works on the basis of competition within the market. Years ago if you were seated in the Lounge at Heathrow you would see a dozen US carriers, now you see three, all of which are tidied up with an code share (non competition) alliance with European carriers.

There have been some hotel mergers lately  too....

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Airfares appear to be reducing amongst the budget airlines but it's a slow process.

I've crossed the Atlantic with the family at peak summer in 2012, 2014 and 2015 and when looking for peak times this year absolutely no difference has emerged from those.

I think all the airlines are attempting to prop up prices for as long as possible by a "follow me do" process. The budget operators flying around Europe are more competitive and hence prices are slowly reducing, Atlantic airlines have a more "cozy" relationship, so prices stay firm. It's a problematic industry and this does expose its issues.

ramoneur Platinum

google flights is a very good tool to find the cheapest flight

and it also gives direct tips/feedback regarding "save X money when booking Y days later/earlier"

Hey razorbackfan,

Have you looked into Norwegian Air Shuttle?  Someone told me about them just last night, and come to think of it, I remember seeing one of their dreamliners on the taxiway on my last fly through LAX.  I looked them up, and sure enough, their prices are a lot cheaper.  You'll likely have to fly through Stockholm, and in my case, would have to fly into Orly instead of Roissy, but no problem.  They created quite a stir in the airline industry last year when they decided to get into the long haul game.  They have no alliance affiliation, but with such great prices, one can forego the mileage earnings, I would think.  Their business cabin is quite affordable.  Not as fancy as other business class products, but again, well, the price.  And they're flying shiny new Dreamliners.  You can read some seat reviews on Seat Guru.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I am out of Philadelphia and, mostly, fly out of here.  Flights have been pretty consistent over the last handful of years, whether going to Rome, Paris, or Brussels - on either US carriers or code sharing on other airlines like British Air.

Several trips, we were coordinating travel with family and met up at JFK, for some reasonable deals.  Earlier this year, we flew to Ireland on AerLingus.  We flew out of JFK and other family members flew out of Boston and San Francisco, all on AerLingus, and we just met up in Dublin.  The fares were VERY attractive and I felt I was on as good an airline as any of the US carriers.  Pleasant staff and service.

Regarding when to buy, I value getting the flights I want and the seats I want, over possibly saving more downstream.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose on cost, but you get where you want, when you want.  As an example, I booked flights to Europe back in July for late spring 2016.  It's done and I can plan around it.

I noticed the same thing with Aer Lingus.  $1200 when everyone else is $1700-1800 (for economy) on some dates.  I'm glad to know that their service is good.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...