8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2016 4:17 PM by phctourist RSS

NYC Family Weekend

BDeRicco Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Thanks for your guidance - this is my first post.

I am a Platinum member looking for a nice location for two adults and 3 teenagers interested in a family weekend in NYC.  Certainly size is a factor, as is a concierge lounge open on the weekend.

Thanks for your input!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
marriott brand
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
  • Re: NYC Family Weekend
    joeyo38 Gold

Hi BDeRicco,

I travel to NYC from time to time for work and lately have been staying at the Algonquin Autograph Collection. The rooms are a tight squeeze. Most of the NYC hotel rooms that I have been in are small, but you may want to check out the Marriott Grand Marquis. I have never stayed there but have been in their lobby many times. It's in a great location and I would guess if any hotel has larger rooms, it would be that one.

Best,

Joe

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Welcome to Insiders BDeRicco,

Having stayed at the Hotels Near Grand Central Station | Marriott East Side New York Hotel last year I will tell you the rooms may be some of the largest that Marriott has in NYC.  The hotel is located at Lexington and 49th St. away from all the glitz and crowds of Times Square yet well within walking distance to TS and Theater District.  You are very close to Grand Central Station with many excellent dining options within a few blocks of the property.  If you are flying into LaGuardia (LGA) it is a very short 15-20 minute cab ride to the hotel of course depending on traffic, but you avoid getting bottled up in the Times Square area traffic so normally not a big problem.

The CL is located on the first floor and is the new "M" Club Lounge, but unfortunately the lounge is closed for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday.  That being the case you will either get a certificate for breakfast in the restaurant or receive points.  However; with there being so many very wonderful deli's close by you won't have any problem finding a place to eat should you not desire the hotel restaurant.

Here is a few pictures of the room we had.

P1020960.JPGP1020961.JPG

Are you set on staying at a full service property or might a Residence Inn or other brand work?

I hope this gives you a little insight and there will be many other Insiders with thoughts and experience with NYC Marriott properties such as ks77 who had a recent stay in the Downtown area and misterchk who visits the city often to name only a few.  Then we have our King of Marriott jerrycoin who has many many years of being a Marriott Rewards member that will also provide great ideas for you to consider.

Let us know what you choose and enjoy NYC.

Location Brand Hotel
    New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
      mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Wow, your experience at the East Side Marriott was entirely different than mine. While we had a comfortable stay, we were assigned a small room. It look like you were assigned a suite, lucky you!

I agree that it's away from the hustle-bustle, which makes it an ideal location.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

No it was not a suite just a huge room and we even enjoyed the M Lounge.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

East Side Marriott is my favorite hotel in NYC.

mtl_traveller Platinum

Hi,

we were at the Marriott Marquis last week. I'm also Plat. I had a disappointing experience so can't recommend this hotel anymore (this was my 4th stay). The location is great if you want to be in the middle of the action, right in Times Square. We had a 2 double beds room, average size. Bathroom tiny. Parking 65$ a night for a standard car.

At check in at the Elite counter I was offered a 'river view upgrade' which is no upgrade at all. When I asked politely if a Times Square view would be available, I was grudgingly offered one, albeit a partial view. My room rate (Govt) did not specify any particular view, so I don't think I really had an 'upgrade'.

Concierge lounge is open only during the week, and it closes at 2pm on Friday (Mon to Thu it closes at 10pm). They enforce the rule of elite + one guest, someone was 'guarding' the door, although they did seem to be a bit flexible on small kids. I'm pretty sure they won't let you in with 3 teenagers.

Next time when I'm in NYC, I'll try to book the new Residence Inn Central Park. It's brand new and seems to have amazing views, and guaranteed breakfast!

Platinum 28 Reviews

mtl_traveller

Hi, I'm a Brooklyn Born Californian that has worked in NYC for a few years back before the turn of the century.

I travel to NY about 8 - 10 times a year for business and visiting my daughter who is attending college there.  Also a student of the musical stage so usually wanted to be close to theaters (but isn't worth the crowds around TS hotels)

Wow!  There obviously has been some changes/problems at my (many comments) least favorite NYC Marriott property.

To begin with the CL at that hotel is/was the "poster child" for what is wrong in CL management - BUT it was open seven days a week.  The hotel might have decided that closing on weekends was a way to deter families to stop bringing their screaming unruly five year olds to the CL and running around causing havoc.

The most surprising item you mentioned was the room.  The one saving grace in my opinion was their rooms which are large compared to the older NY hotels.........if you are going to stay in that category stay at the Essex House - far enough away from Time Square and still walking distance from theaters.

Also, cannot believe the treatment, as a Plat, that you received.  Those that know me on this site are aware that I would be contacting JW himself complaining.

Misterchk

BDeRicco Gold

Thanks for the lead on the Residence Inn - this might better suit us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...