1 2 3 14 Previous Next 202 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2016 12:20 PM by bejacob RSS

Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

bejacob and I are organising an Insiders Meetup mid to late September in either Atlanta or Houston. Wanna join us?

image.jpeg

Last year I commented upon bejacob's County collecting roundup that I may be making a business trip to the US for research purposes and would like to tag along on one of his collecting trips, if possible.

image.png

Well that was last year, and this is this. bejacob and I have been trading emails back and forth for the last few days and have narrowed down dates for late September. It also occurred to us that we could arrange another insiders meetup as there hasn't been one for a couple of years. So we've narrowed down dates for an insiders meetup to Saturday 17th Sept, 24th Sept or 1st October with locations at either Atlanta or Houston.

image.jpeg

I'm planning to fly in on a Wednesday, checkin to a Marriott for 2 nights and undertake my research on Thursday and Friday, when I'll then move over to the meetup hotel. bejacob will be joining me on the Friday evening for the weekend and on Sunday we'll be setting off to collect a few counties for 3 days. However for the weekend you're all invited to turn up and join us on either the Friday or Saturday night, or make a weekend of it and do both nights! The venue is likely to be a full service hotel, probably a Marriott or Ren, with rates running at about $150-$200 per night. We'll prop up the bar, find some local food joints and just have a good time together for the weekend.

image.jpeg

So, to the purpose of this post, any insiders want to make the journey over to meet up? And where would you prefer? Atlanta, or Houston?

image.jpeg

Of course, as I'm coming from England, the venue choice may be made for me by a sudden movement in airfares, but at the moment there's little difference and for both me and bejacob either venue is fine, so I'm hoping you'll give us an idea as to which city you'd prefer so that we can get as many of us all together as possible.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria
Houston, Texas, USA Autograph Collection Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston Downtown
The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Sugar Land, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Sugar Land Marriott Town Square
  • 1. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob and bejacob

September in Houston!  Wow - you guys must love humidity or you knew how much I hate humidity.

September in Atlanta.  Wow - you guys must love humidity or you knew how much I hate humidity

Etc Etc

If I meet you in IAH this is what I'm risking:  I have two unpaid parking tickets in Texas - one more in that State is considered a "capital" crime and I could face "lethal injection"  if apprehended  (to the pleasure of many). Consequently I would need assurances from all not to tell the authorities that I am there.

The next requirement for my attendance would be accommodation.  I have  just been awarded Kryptonite Elite with Motel 6 - would the organizing committee find a Marriott property near a "6" so I can maintain my status with that chain.

Love Atlanta  and would not be subject to arrest in that state.  I still ask why anyone would want to be in ATL in September.

Brightly, don't know if you are aware that I the Pilgrims would have landed on the West Coast the East Coast would still be a wilderness.

My safety is a concern.  I would be arriving with a bullet proof vest - the last thing I want is have  a get together like this turn out to be an "Agatha Christie" type murder mystery entitled "who killed misterchk"!!!!!

Bottom line:  I'll be there.  Wouldn't miss the opportunity to show you how brave I am to be sarcastic in person!.

Luckily for me I stand at 6 feet  3 inches and 285 pounds so it's hard to be bullied   (not really - more like 5" 6" and 145!!!! - Brightly, you do the "stone" conversion)

Furthermore, I volunteer to have tee shirts personalized to commemorate the  occasion if the organizing committee.

will allow.

Final thought - and/or advice - plan for the week after the *U.S. Labor Day  holiday (Sept 5) traditionally one of the slowest travel periods in the country.

(anything else I can do to insure an enjoyable event - with the exception of staying home - don't hesitate to ask).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    Platinum 28 Reviews

Very late here and half asleep - Just saw the proposed dates - they work for me as well!

• 3. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    Platinum 28 Reviews

Okay - now I'm wide awake - when the venue is decided upon we should contact Marriott/Hotel and let them know that a VIP group is a guest at the hotel - I believe we can con something out of them - donate a cocktail hour or a dinner or whatever.

I would be more than happy to accept the task of communicating with the hotel. Might be able to get Brightly upgraded to a room with a bathroom .

• 4. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?

WWow, bathroom, I'm usually upgraded to the "canvas" room in the dumpsters

• 5. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?

Well, we can't have you being executed in Texas, especially as I've invested in 100 "I lynched misterchk at the 2016 Insiders meetup and it was GOOOOD" T-shirts!

145lb is 10 stone 5lbs. I have just been put on a diet by the wife when those lying toady scales yelped for mercy at **9lb - wow, the Marriott censor sure is sensitive!

Great to see you as the first participant, I'll put you down as favouring the lynching as opposed to lethal injection venue!

• 6. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    Platinum 28 Reviews

Mr. Brightly, either city is acceptable - I think this is a great idea and will hope for it's success.  Will also hope that this begins an annual tradition of a get together.

• 7. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

brightlybob and bejacob,,

Count me IN!  Either city, it really doesn't matter to me! 

This sounds like a lot of fun, and after meeting bejacob, and following his travels, it would a pleasure to meet you, brightlybob!  Likewise, any other MRI's that can make it would make it even that much more special!

Keep all of us informed of details!

IMG_4118.JPG

A wonderful day with bejacob in St. Louis!

• 8. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I think it's safe to assume that IAHFLYR will prefer Houston. Likewise, foxglove will want Atlanta.

At this point we're just soliciting comments and suggestions from the community to see if one city is preferable to a significant number of Insiders who may wish to join us. I've got counties to visit in both areas.

Once the location and dates have been settled, we can work out additional details (sounds like misterchk is ready to head that committee ).

So Insiders, where should we hold our gathering (which if all goes well will coincide with the kickoff of the Fall 2016 MegaBonus)? Let us know what you think. Or if you prefer, vote in this poll Insider Gathering - Atlanta or Houston?

• 9. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Don't forget, we also have "Old Judge" in Atlanta!

Any of the two places will be special!

• 10. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I see most of NJ still hasn't been visited! I can't blame you though not many people actually WANT to come here

• 11. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?

It's on my list for a future visit, just not this time.

• 12. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I would love to attend an Insiders Meetup.  It would be easier for me to get to Houston, but I could probably make it to Atlanta, too.  However, it would be much easier for me to get to New Orleans.    bejacob, don't you need some more parishes in Louisiana?

• 13. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?

I do need some parishes in LA, but mostly in the north and west of the state.

Actually, Brightlybob and I each had criteria and Atlanta and Houston were the cities that we found satisfied everything on both our lists. We had a few other cities (NOLA was actually mentioned) that almost made the cut. Bear in mind that Brightlybob is coming from the UK, so a major airline hub city was one of the factors we considered.

• 14. Re: Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?
    Platinum 28 Reviews

razorbackfan That is very selfish of you wanting to meet in New Orleans to accommodate you.

The only activities available tin N.O are eating (some of the best food in the country), drinking, and listening to jazz!

OH! I'M SORRY.  WHAT  A GREAT SUGGESTION!

1 2 3 14 Previous Next