4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2016 3:40 PM by chautauquany RSS

Things not to miss on Islay, UK--your ideas....

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Of course visiting the distilleries will be on the list of things to do, and I am proposing 2 nights on the island to explore.  My UK cousin is suggesting a day trip to Islay, believing there is nothing to do but take whisky tours.  What are some things your could recommend to do, that are truly worth staying to see?  I enjoy visiting this area of Scotland due to the lack of development but I realize this island is becoming a destination for the distillery fans.  Ideas?  We will be taking our car over on the ferry, and lots of cousins (both US and UK) will be traveling together.Is

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Islay
  • Re: Things not to miss on Islay, UK--your ideas....
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

II've never been, but I'm a big fan of their malts! In fact, I'm a laird, courtesy of Laphroaig who have given me a lifetime lease on a square foot of their land. Laphroaig one of the 8 distilleries to be found on that windswept isle. I will definitely visit one day to collect my ground-rent, a noggin of Laphroaig, of course!

My missus says it's a quilting area, which is probably unsurprising as it does get cold all the way up there!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

grandmasue Member

Oh my goodness - have you been led astray!  There are so many things to do on Islay.  Our first visit was 5 days - the next 10 days - the next almost 3 weeks and we're hoping to return again, this time to stay a couple of months!  For the best source of info about Islay go to www.islayinfo.com  I've only been on 2 whisky tours (during the Festival of Malt and Music) and there never seems to be enough time to do all the other things we want to do.  Our biggest decision now is trying to figure out what time of year to go.  Check out the website and be prepared to spend more time on Islay

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Now I'm a UK resident and big fan of the single malts ( I always have at least 20 open bottles at any one time and 5-10 sitting in reserve) I'm ashamed I know so little about an island whose product I like, nay, worship, so much!

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

Have visited the website, and I agree, sounds small enough to be able to identify with the island, bit big enough tp find things to do.  Any favorites re: places to stay, including self catering?  Places to eat?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...