7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2016 9:20 AM by californiadreamer RSS

Maui Marriott Wailea - Ocean View vs. Oceanfront?

surgie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be spending 6 nights at Maui Marriott Wailea in late August-easrly September 2016 using points. I can upgrade with cash to a "premium ocean view" for $100 per night or "deluxe ocean front" for $150 per night. I realize ocean front is closest to the ocean but for those who know this property, do the premium ocean view rooms actually give an ocean view (as pictured on the Marriott site) or is it a slice of the ocean one must view by looking off to the side of the balcony? Also is there a concierge lounge providing breakfast or a breakfast credit for platinum members? Comparing this property to the Ritz and it looks nice and would save 100,000 points vs. Ritz. Thanks for input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Wailea - Maui, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Maui Marriott Wailea - Ocean View vs. Oceanfront?
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi Surgie,

Welcome to the Insiders Community! If you haven't seen already, this is a great place to talk about all things travel from sharing recommendations and experiences to seeing how to get the most out of the Rewards program, etc. I moderate the community here along with carat and lindseyh.

If you send me a private message with your Rewards number, contact information, and reservation/confirmation number, I can ask our Customer Care team to get in touch with the hotel for you and see if they're able to clarify ocean view vs. oceanfront, and also ask about the lounge. There have been other threads on here where we have dealt with similar inquiries, and have learned that the room type wording is dependent on the hotel, and the best way to figure out the view/location each room provides is by speaking with someone at the hotel.

I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide,  in case you'd like to take a look:

Getting Started Guide

If you ever have any other questions, feel free to reach out, the moderators & other Insiders are here to help!

Again, welcome to Insiders, look forward to seeing more of you around here

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

n/a2 Platinum

Coming from a Lifetime Platinum.  In general we didn't spend much time at the hotel (it's Maui -- go explore!).

Unfortunately there is no concierge lounge - bummer I know.  We got an upgraded room though and the hotel treated us really well.  There was a packet for some food/drink vouchers but not for every day.

We did enjoy the pool a lot in the late afternoons when coming back from excursions.  There's 2 of them, the infinity one we liked the best.  The pool was well attended to and the little concierge hut/excursion place was well staffed.  They actually booked us some excursions for the same price we had seen elsewhere and were able to get us on to two oversold activities.  We found this very helpful and convenient!  Nothing wrecks a stay like coupon and deal hunting the entire time and the folks in that hut were great.

The walking trail in front of the hotel was nice.  Gets pretty crowded though at times due to narrowness.  It's an easy thing to access from the property though and worth checking out.

We went to one of the restaurants on site once which I would call tourist expensive but ok to good quality food (i.e. good but not given the cost).  Food and drink are generally expensive on all the Hawaiian islands but this seemed a bit extra and unnecessarily so.  Starbucks is on site and they had more breakfasty stuff than a usual store I thought.  We did best using yelp daily for food when we were out and about.

There is also a luau that the hotel appears to host that is very popular and many people seemed to flood in for every night.  We did not attend but had some friends attend.  They enjoyed it and said it was better than others they had done.

One surprise was the on site convenience store.  This place wasn't out of line in pricing with the ABC store in the mall are next door.  This was very convenient.  Bring your own cork screw & bottle opener to save on buying an overpriced cheapo there.  I don't recall if they had larger quantity cases of say water, but that is easily fixed by going to the ABC stores.

Two things that irked us were the cost of daily parking and daily resort fee.  I would have rather have paid a bit more in points vs. shelling out money for that.  There is not close to enough parking for a full hotel and I think that's why the parking was expensive.  The resort fee I didn't quite understand though as the property had two pools but nothing beyond that seemed to be provided that was out of the ordinary (i.e. some of the hotels have kayaks, workout classes, etc).  That reminds me -- you can't stroll into the ocean.  Directly in front of the hotel are lots of boulders.  You'd need to go towards one of the other resorts (we didn't so I don't know if it's free) or one of the public beaches.  That said we were satisfied with the front row to the ocean infinity pool.

We actually had the same Ritz vs. Wailea debate but Wailea won out due to its location.  The Ritz is VERY isolated from most of the main activities most active visitors will want to do in Maui.

Hope that helps!

fistuk Platinum

I've actually just spent 3 nights in this hotel 3 weeks ago. It's a resort hotel so obviously no concierge lounge, and there shouldn't be any surprise in that fact.

Regarding the rooms: I booked the cheapest room and as a platinum member was upgraded to an ocean view room on the ground floor. We had a very nice view of the ocean with the green lawn of the outdoor area in between. I personally don't think there's a justification of paying more for a room with a better ocean view, but this is entirely up to you and your personal preferences.

mycatdixie Gold

I spent 5 nights here 4 years ago in the fall. It is gorgeous  and the infinity pool was where we gravitated to. I had an ocean view room. It was located on the far right and when on the balcony you could glimpse the ocean.  My fiend, who just turned Platinum,  got upgraded to ocean front. It was located  just behind the infinity  pool and had awesome  views.

Fall is normally a slower season and you have a better chance of getting a good upgrade.  We ate breakfast at Starbucks every day and they had a nice selection. We only had dinner there one night and enjoyed it, but found it very expensive.  We prefer going to the noodle shops and other local places in Kihei which is close by. They are very affordable and we love trying the local foods.

This hotel is extremely quiet and very dark at night, so don't expect much, if any, night life.  Also, all the beaches in the state of Hawaii are free and open to the public. Hotels can not block you from having  an entrance to  them. They can, however, restrict you from using their pools, etc.

surgie Platinum

Thanks for all the input. Quiet at night is just fine. Things will change when we move to Honua Kai and the grandkids arrive:)

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

We stayed at this resort for Valentines Day a couple of years ago for a week.  We loved it.  I did use points for the cheapest room and they did upgrade me to an oceanfront room which was in the building next to the infinity pool. It was awesome having a room directly facing the ocean on the third floor.  We like to sit on the balcony and have a bottle of wine and the sunsets were amazing.  There was a green area in front of our room where they held weddings and it was fun to watch.  We were pretty close to the ocean and right next to the infinity pool which we loved.  This pool is adults only and although we love children, screaming kids at the pool, are not my favorite thing.  Also, we went to the luau on this property and loved it.  We were originally hesitant to spend over $100.00 each but it was worth every penny. The location, food and drinks were all very good.  We did not eat at this property because there are so many other places to go.  You can walk to a mall area and as someone else mentioned Kihei a short drive away and we found some wonderful places to eat.  Also, there is a golf resort a few miles away that has a wonderful Sunday champagne brunch.  Again, I highly recommend this property.  Although it is not directly on the beach, we had no trouble taking the short walk to the beach next door when we wanted to go in the ocean. As far as we were concerned, we also loved the location. We arrived in Maui late at night so we stayed at the Courtyard close the airport and this turned out to be a good idea since we had never been to Maui before and the hotel is about a 20 minutes drive.  This also enabled us to be closer to the Road to Hanna for the next day. We stayed at this courtyard for 2 nites and were able to get to the Marriott Wailea at about 10:30 a.m.  They already had a room blocked for us in the tower area which we did not want.  We asked nicely if there was anything else closer to the ocean and the desk clerk  said she had a really good room but it wouldn't be ready until later.  We decided to wait and it was so worth it.  So to me, oceanfront is the way to go but ask to see the building location because some of the buildings are a lot closer to the ocean..

californiadreamer Silver 1 Reviews

First of all, the problems at this Marriott are more systemic than people driven.  That is, the people I encountered were friendly and helpful.  Terrance at the front desk was very helpful.  Yes it is a beautiful location but.... there is such a lack of communication with guests about a number of things that you need to know.  For example, our room book did not list any of the restaurants at the site, just the 4 times a week luau that is pricey.  That information should have appeared under "dining" but there was no information at all  & I asked for a new book to make sure pages were not removed.  There was no information about pool hours or which pools were for children and which were not.  There was no information about major construction to the centerpiece of the hotel--just that the pools were being renovated.

Still, we were charged $30 a day for a resort fee, which included nothing more than a towel service poolside.  They give you a free drink coupon for a drink that they charge $15.00 for, which is served in a cheap plastic cup.  Reminds me of how we used to drink at high school parties or was that college?  I checked with the nearby Andaz hotel, which charges $40 but  for that money you get to attend wonderful yoga classes [I walked by one in progress] have bicycle rentals free, and outrigger rowing lessons.  So not alot of value for the $30, especially when you have to pay $35.00 for valet parking on top of that.

The other lack of communication was the various levels of rooms.  I booked with 40,000  points and paid a $100 upgrade fee for a "premium" ocean view room.  I did not know until I arrived that that actually meant pool view, with the ocean beyond that.  The first room I was given was looking straight at the over occupied  infinity pool, since the other big pool was being renovated.  I was told I needed to be in a "deluxe" ocean view room to get what I wanted & they were sold out.  The only resolution was to move me up a few floors so at least I would not have pool occupants staring at me while on my balcony. 

Room service for breakfast is a complete waste of money.  Walk a block up the street to any of the restaurants opened for breakfast, including Lingets.  Our first morning we ordered an omelette with crispy, chopped bacon and cheese, for a charge of $22.00.  It did not include toast, which was $4.00 more.  The bacon  was almost raw, one whole piece and inedible.  our efforts to get it replaced were not successful until after we gave up and cancelled the order. 

The relaxation we were supposed to have was interrupted by the daily need to go stand in line to get new keys.  We checked in for 3 days, with my son being checked in a separate room for 2 days.  On the first full day, all of his room keys were no longer functional, so we had to go get new keys for the next night.  The next day our room keys were all rendered inoperable so we ended up there twice, each time waiting in a long line while other guests checked in, to get the new keys.  The first time I was told the key was de-magnetized, even though it had been in their paper folder.  Yet when the two other keys were tried, they did not work either, so back in line we went.  When my son received a late checkout, again his keys were inoperable, though no one said that we would need to replace them.  And yes, the next day when we were getting ready to check out at the regular time, the keys quit working around 30 minutes before that time. so I was once again faced with a line to stand in while in a wet suit, hoping to use the shower before checkout  time and the drive to the airport.  All 4 of the adults in the group ended up going up for keys over the course of a 2 & 3 night stay at least twice. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...