14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2016 5:42 PM by phctourist RSS

Paris is mid-February

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know this isn't the ideal time of year to go, but it's my first trip there and I'm excited.  I've been reading through most of the prior threads (thank you Gem Princess for the list), but really am not finding what I'm looking for.

We are a group of 3 women hoping to share a room to save $.  I have enough points for the Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel or the Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel.  It looks like in order to have 3 separate beds, these are my only options (2 twins and a rollaway...which they say on the reservation is not guaranteed...makes me very nervous).  For the Opera, we would be charged an extra $80 per day in addition to my points with service charges adding up to of a little over 500 euros for the stay.  For the Ren, I would have to use AX points and pay an extra $30 per day for he rollaway.

My question is, which is the best option for us?  All of us are first timers, love affordable off the beaten path cafes and want to see the Louvre.  We are on a tight budget, so a good CL is important.  Being close to the Metro and walking distance to places is a plus.  Also, what's the best way for us to get to the hotel from the CDW?

Any other tips for fun outings is appreciated...not overly touristy.   Also, anything interesting going on those dates?

Also, saw the deal today for the Paris hotels, unfortunately won't work for the triple room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel
  • Re: Paris is mid-February
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

mgoes2,

Sounds like a wonderful trip!  Congratulations!

Anywhere you stay in Paris, anytime of the year, will be great.

For "First timer's" you may want to consider, The Renaissance at La Defense.  A very comfortable place, and located on both the RER and Metro lines.  It's got a nice CL, and is just 15 minutes to the C-E!

If you go there ask for a room on the top floor, 10, and enjoy the area.  This is a place you can handle on a budget, and it's nice for first people on a budget.  I would suggest a double room with a "Roll away".  You can also make arrangements for them to have you picked up at CDG, upon arrival, and taken back to the airport.  If you are "Adventuresome', you can save yourself a lot of money, and time by taking the RER from CDG to the hotel.

Let me know, if you need details!

Bon Voyage!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

If you're using Marriott Reward points, I'd suggest the Trocadero, which is close to the Eiffel Tower; however, we've also stayed at the Hotel Cayre, a Golden Tulip Hotel, 4 Blvd Raspail,  - You can walk to the Louvre Museum and the Musee d' Orsay just across the Seine River

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi mgoes2,

How very exciting!  My suggestion would be to email the properties that you are considering.  They can assist you with providing the exact accomodations specific to your needs, and all of the associates speak/write excellent english.

For the Opera Ambassador:

reservations.ambassador@parismarriottopera.com or

aurelie.conton@parismarriottopera.com.  I did this and their response was excellent.

For Marriott Champs-Elysées:

mhrs.pardt.guest.relations@marriotthotels.com or

brenda.lemoine@marriotthotels.com (rooms control)

For La Defense Ren:

renaissance.ladefense.afom@renaissancehotels.com

As far as meals, the Ren La Def and the Ambassador Marriott have good CL's.  Champs-Elysées does not, but have a great breakfast buffet, though there is an 8€ upcharge for the hot items.  A quick email would provide any updates to this info, which is a couple of years old.

Write to all of them and see what they can do for you.  My guess would be that the Ren La Def would probably provide the best chances, since it's not central (about 3.4 miles from l'Arc de Troimphe, but with the RER A train with get you there in less than 5 minutes, no stops!), but since you're headed over in February, maybe your chances are good with all of them.  Write and see.

I'm envious!  Bon chance et bon voyage!

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

The last time I was in Paris was February 2012, the coldest winter in 100 years in Europe.  I hope it is not so cold for you.  I would email the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe Hotel and, although the website  says no rollaway in the 2 double bed room, they may be willing to accommodate you for an upcharge, especially if you explain that you are only trying to fit 3 adults in the room, but they prefer their own bed.   It depends on management, but in NYC, I have made this request successfully.  It is a lovely hotel, with great amenities, a great lounge, and is located only a few blocks from the Arc.  It is close to 2 subway stops, and there are many, many restaurants, both expensive and reasonable, on the same street.  In addition, the concierge is very helpful. 

I would guess you would like to stroll some beautiful streets, visit a market or two for some good finds, and some bites to eat, given that you want to do some less touristy things.  I would recommend a stroll down the Rue Mouffetard, where you will find the Marche Mouffetard, or French market.  Here is one description:

"his 'wonderful, narrow crowded market street', as Hemingway described it in 'A Moveable Feast', still sports bright and bustling stalls of fruit and veg in its cobbled lower stretches (its upper extremities largely harbour student bars and touristy shops), its atmospheric buildings making it one of the city’s loveliest street markets. Many grocers – also hawking charcuterie, patés, seafood, cheeses and sticky patisseries – only select organic and fair-trade goods. On Wednesday, Friday and Sunday mornings, Mouffetard’s stalls run into the Marché Monge (on place Monge), renowned for yet more excellent food, especially fresh bread."

While in Paris, my daughter picked the restaurant one night, I picked one the second night, and the 3rd night my husband decided we would eat from the market and he bought lots of lovely meats, cheeses, patisseries, etc. which we took back to the hotel for a feast. 

Go to www.timeout.com/paris/en/walks or search for Mouffetard on www.timeout.com/paris for a great map of a walk than encompasses Notre Dame, the Mouffetard Market, etc. with suggestions and descriptions of the walk in the 5th and.  It is not too strenuous, generally safe, and you would get a feel for the neighborhood. 

If you have tea lovers among you, visit the oldest purveyor of tea, Marriage Freres, which has 4 Paris locations and 600 types of tea.  No matter what you do, you will have a wonderful time!

Thank you all for the great suggestions.  I checked the other hotels and I wouldn't be able to use the points I have successfully or be able to get a room with 3 beds on the dates we'll be there...so I'm really left choosing between Opera and Trocadero.  I did send an email to the hotels, so hopefully I can get some assurance about the room and rollaway bed before we go.

Rue Mouffetard and the Marche Monge sound like exactly what I want from a Paris experience.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

mgoes2,

Je vous en prie.

mgoes2,

Don't "Give up"!  The stays at wherever you decide change daily, and especially near your arrival dates.

When you can get one place you like, "Book it", and keep checking.  You will be surprised at the outcome!

Good luck, and don't forget to check with the hotel you desire DIRECTLY, the may have a "Pleasant surprise" for you!

Good luck!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Both Paris and London represent excellent value redemption opportunities so require booking early, however this means many early bookers change their plans later and cancel rooms, returning redemptions back into the system. Whenever I'm on a leisure trip to these cities and find a lack of redemption options I book something on a flexible rate and then recheck, most times the rate reduces or redemptions turn up. So do keep checking.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I was in Paris in Feb. 2014 and we had a wonderful time.  Weather was cool and most days were sunny.  On a previous trip we stayed a the Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel.  We enjoyed the hotel and its great location.  Lots of restaurants, shopping, Metro, etc close by and our room had a great view of the Tower.

I chose a different hotel on our next trip for two reasons, the lack of a CL and found the room lighting inadequate.  Nevertheless the staff was excellent and location great.  E-mailing hotel management with individual questions/requests is always helpful.

On our next trip to Paris we stayed at the Rive Gauche Marriott and found the following:  A great CL, excellent convenience to Metro, wonderful staff, and my favorite employee of the Marriott Corporation, anywhere.  Her name is Valerie and she has a title like Guest Relations Manager.  She took care of our every request.  (We were scheduled to return this past Fall but an illness has put a 6 month freeze on my travel.)

Regardless of which hotel that you choose, it should be a great trip.

Thanks to the email address and good advice, I contacted the Opera hotel and received the assurances I was looking for from the most helpful staff.  My mind is now at ease and I think we are going to be all set at Opera.  I'll report back on how it all went.

mgoes2,

Great choice!

You can walk to The Louvre, Notre Dame, and many more sights from your hotel.

For one special meal visit this nearby place:

KIF_0915.JPG

KIF_0913.JPG

Enjoy yourself!

Yum...can't wait to try it!

mgoes2,

Just down the street is a wonderful place, and it is a whole lot less expensive.  This is named after a famous group of Nun's in Paris.  Capucine's!

DSCN0079_0065.jpg

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Amazing how we've all grown accustomed to the word "up charge" and accept it as the new norm. Why don't we just call it what it really is, an "extra charge"?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...