20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2016 9:07 AM by randyh7777 RSS

Plat Renewal for 2016!

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I ended the year with 73 nights. I just received a package in the mail from Marriott Rewards congratulating me on renewal of my Plat status, "Although the number of night required to renew your Elite level were not quite met, enjoy your benefits for another year with our compliments." THANK YOU Marriott Rewards!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Plat Renewal for 2016!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

And thankyou curiousone  as it's always good to have up to date confirmation that the policy of comp-ing Plat to those running close to renewal is continuing, since it's an oft-asked question each December!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vickisocal Platinum

A poster on FT reports being renewed despite NO paid nights in 2015.

Depressing.

curiousone Platinum

Depressing? Not sure why, there are multiple ways to earn Elite night credits: paid stays, point stays (Finally!), Marriott Vacation Club stays, Credit Card spend (Business and personal). I use them all.

vickisocal Platinum

You don't find it depressing to see someone with 0 nights get the same status as someone with 75 or more?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I would agree with you . If everyone gets it then what's the reason to try

curiousone Platinum

Not really. I assume you are concerned because you have limited yourself to paid stays to earn Elite status? If you are staying at Marriott hotels and not taking advantage of the Marriott Premier Visa credit card (15 Elite nights each year and 1 free Cat 5 stay on renewal) you are missing a big opportunity to earn Marriott Reward benefits. To be honest, I get most of my Elite nights through credit card spending. I understand that at one time Elite status was earned from "butts in beds", but all the hotel and airline loyalty programs have evolved over time. As consumers we have to able to change with the programs to derive the most benefit. For years I have maintained that Marriott Reward points were a form of currency (I can purchase TVs and golf clubs with them) and I should get an Elite night credit for rooms "paid" for with MR points as well as US$ , EU's or Yen. As of Nov. 1 2015 Marriott finally agreed with me and started to  issue Elite night credit for rooms paid with MR points. I guess the definition of a"night" has evolved.

vickisocal Platinum

Actually the husband is lifetime plat, but still hits 100 nights or so every year.

Dilution of benefits due to scores of Plats is more my concern. When you are at a resort and ask about an upgrade and they inform you that 25% of the people there that night are Plat, it affects your chances.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I too have achieved lifetime platinum, and yes, I agree, getting the upgrade is tough. With the UA program, which really offers no value to those who don't fly UA, the MR currency is devalued and those of us, like your husband, who do have butt in bed, and provide more $$$ to Marriott than the UA interlopers or the spend the way to it (full disclosure, I have the Marriott CC and I do use it ), then the value of the MR is less. I don't have an issue with Marriott being generous to the original poster, who with 73 nights was so close. All I am saying is if Marriott makes the club so inclusive, we get what we get, more crowded lounges, fewer upgrades, and all that goes with it. I don't mean to be a downer, but I have seen this happen, so yes, the programs change, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Oh and that Fab Four, where you get nights for redemption stays, I have an issue with that and all Marriott can tell me is "its an IT issue and we are working on it". I posted about that elsewhere.

curiousone Platinum

Agreed, we do not have to like the program changes. I have found that most things that I deal with in my life are constantly changing. I plan to keep trying to change with them, as long as I can.

I know things change, but that was not really my entire point. I deal with change every day. I don't hold fast to the past (or I would still be using a rotary dial phone, using a blackberry, driving a car that uses leaded gas, getting up to change to channel, etc.). My point was that all of the mileage programs have diluted themselves, making a mockery of the true frequent flyer/frequent stayer. Exclusivity used to mean something but not anymore. Those of us who do travel frequently feel that some kind of unique recognition for our loyalty and business is in order. When the programs (and the management teams that run them) broaden them to others who "buy their way in" with credit card miles, or other entry methods, it makes loyalty seem less appealing and leaves little to strive for. It is just like what the TSA did for the trusted traveler program. I loved it when it first came out, and now its so crowded, and often, its with people who didn't go thru the background check I did, nor pay the fee, but some TSA low level worker "thinks" that person is OK to put in the line. Ask the Israeli's why they don't do this. All I can say is its not security, its security theater. Lots of flash and show, no real substance. No exclusivity. No regards for following the rules, doing what is asked, paying the fee.

I guess the only loyalty I can expect is from my dog, and she always is happy to see me, is a joy to be with, and never asks for more than a full bowl of food and water in return.

chris.s Gold

No question that most loyalty programs have diluted themselves, but we all have options where we can stay.  If you find something markedly better, you should go there.  The glass can be half full or half empty. I am appreciative of what is offered to me (for example, a snack and an upgrade to a suite when I checked in yesterday) and don't feel like I am more entitled to such perks than anyone else. I am just happy when I get them and I express that to the staff at the hotel.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree with chris.s. I, too, am appreciative of what is offered. Do I understand the concerns expressed by other re: devaluation and earning Platinum with no stays, of course. However, as chris.s says, I don't feel as if I'm any more entitled than anyone else. I, too, am happy when I get them and express my thanks to the staff.

vickisocal Platinum

Why have tiered statuses based on number of stays if noone is entitled to any more than anyone else?

chris.s Gold

As addressed by earlier responses, it's actually not based on stays but on the number of nights earned and you can earn nights several ways other than actually staying in a Marriott hotel.  It is what it is, and it's unlikely to become more restrictive any time soon.  If you are unhappy with that, there are many hotel chains who would like your business.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi vikisocal - A reasonable question, and I guess that my response could have been clearer. I took chris.s' post to be from the perspective of being more entitled than anyone else in one's particular tier and I also meant that, while I might not think it's right, if Marriott chooses to grant Platinum to someone who, on the surface may not have earned it, my feeling is that's Marriott's right. The benefit of the different tiers is that, with Platinum at least, you do get some benefits that are exclusive to Plats, such as the 48 hour guaranteed reservation if you have a sudden emergency and need to get a room at a fully booked hotel. I'm not sure if this sheds more light or just muddies the water even more. In any event, thank you for your response.

I don't feel entitled at all. All I ask is that those who show true and ongoing loyalty be recognized with the small perks that don't take allot of time and don't cost allot of money. I can offer that the number of times my elite status is recognized at a Marriott property is below 50%. All it takes is a simple, "Thank you for being a loyal MR Platinum Member, we appreciate your business", or, how about, Mr stelzer001, we have a room on a quiet floor as you requested. or, we have placed a few extra pillows as per your request. Again, less than a 50% hit rate, and there is no relation to the Marriott brand, same at JW, FS Marriott, Ren as at is a TPS, SHS, RI, , even Ritz, etc. If despite having these preferences in my profile, adding them again at the virtual concierge gets me nowhere, what does loyalty get me?  I stay at Marriott's because of business travel and that is where my employer permits me to stay. It islike an arranged marriage. I can use other chains, but I have had equal issues with them, so I stay with the one I know I get something some of the time. My point is, does being nice cost Marriott anything? does saying a few kind words to a weary traveler cost them anything? if you think that means I feel entitled, then I am guilty as charged

jt15550 Platinum

Heck, with 60 rollover nights and the 15 I'll get from the CC in December, technically I don't need to stay a single night this year to legitimately renew platinum.  It might be the exception, but it happens.

travelal Platinum

Due to job change not traveling as much - At 57 nights for 2015 - is there a way to "buy" Platinum elite status with points for 2016? If so, how and when?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes, Marriott will offer you an opportunity to "buy back" your current platinum status for 2016 sometime here shortly (within the next month), at a cost of 40,000 MR points.

randyh7777 Platinum 1 Reviews

I got the Platinum package in the mail yesterday saying I came up short but where renewing. It must have gone out early because I made my 75 night on Dec.19th.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...