14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2016 10:40 AM by carat RSS

Winter Wonderland or Get Me Outta Here?

KatieC Member
Currently Being Moderated

Some people embrace the cold winter months, some people flee. How about you?

I grew up in Florida so the weather when I moved north (in January of all months) was a bit of a shock. Once the holiday sparkle wears off, winter can be dark, cold and seemingly never ending.

If you are into winter sports you might opt for even colder destinations, or if you have a great hobby (I like to work on my family tree) you might stay home. I like to take a few short trips to warm-weather destinations between January and March/April to prevent “frostbite”. A couple days in flip flops is all I need to feel like myself again. I also find that you need to go pretty far south (or southwest) to guarantee warm weather. I’ve spent a chilly weekend in Charleston in February…no flip flops possible.

I found a few Insiders threads on warm getaways:

And lindseyh's recent post got some great comments Winter is coming. Where are your favorite snow destinations?

Would love to hear from the community on how you travel in the winter. Do you visit snowy destinations or opt for warm weather? What are your top spots?

Not an Insider yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to post

or join Marriott Reward

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Florida, USA
Charleston, SC
  • Re: Winter Wonderland or Get Me Outta Here?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Most years I don't travel much during the winter months. With short days, it's generally better to hunker down at home. This year, is a little different. I'm off to Florida this weekend having just been there about three weeks ago. Also planning to visit Savannah and Hilton Head in early February.

If I go anywhere during the winter, it's got to be somewhere warm(er). Mid-February is normally the earliest in the year I take a trip and it's always south. Even that doesn't work out all the time. Check out what happened to me last February (Two flat tires and forty miles to reach the nearest Marriott) because of snow and ice in Tennessee on the way home.

I prefer to use my time off when the days are long and the weather is better. That said, an occasional winter trip to somewhere sunny is always welcome.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Living in Hawaii, I long for winter weather or anything other than a high of 84, low of 73 degrees. I know when I say that, everyone gets angry at me, and that's fair enough, but I LOVE bundling up, wearing boots, having a fire and being cozy with hot chocolate and lots of blankets.

Since living here, I've always tried to escape the island during the winter and fall months to experience the seasons. Last year I went to New York, Boston and Walla Walla, Washington for some snow. This year, I spent the holidays in Portland, Oregon, where it did snow one day but it didn't stick, which was a bummer. I also love the rain. I feel more productive when it's overcast and grey - more time to stay in and work on projects and make soups! Yes, I am a weirdo.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm a Get Me Outta Here type of guy (living in mountains of east TN).  Last year we spent several weeks in FL to avoide the bitter winter and storms ... even postponing one return because they were forecasting snow at home.

This year we've been lucky, at least until this week.  Temps have been in the 50's-70's during the day, and obviously no snow.  However, it's dropped this week and I would normally have left, but have several things to do at home.  However, next week we're FL bound!

KatieC Member

Where in Florida, randomname?

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Depends on how long we can stay.  Prefer Naples, but a lot easier to find good deals in Orlando.  Really like Palm Beach Gardens area.  Haven't yet done Tampa/St.Pete in depth, so need to try it again.

Just spent a few nights at Turnberry Isle, and it was definitely a great experience.

KatieC Member

I grew up in West Palm and love Palm Beach Gardens. The area has grown so much over the years! I also lived in Orlando for 10 years so it has a special place in my heart (more than just theme parks in this great city!). We're heading to Sarasota (closer to Tampa/St. Pete) in April so I'll let you know how it goes.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I love winter!! All I want in during the winter months is to be up on the mountains skiing and snowboarding, so when I do travel, it's usually to a ski resort somewhere. Luckily when I can't get away, I have Mt. Hood close by to enjoy on the weekends.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I only appreciate winter when it's punctuated by a few weekends and preferably a week or two somewhere tropical!

KatieC Member

Totally agree, clebert! What are your favorite tropical locations? Anything planned for this winter?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

KatieC, we just spent 10 days in Marco Island and Key West.  And we are headed to Aruba next month!  Plus I have a few days in Orlando next week, but Orlando in January just isn't warm enough for me

KatieC Member

Marco Island is on the top of my list.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I'm a fan of Spring, Summer & Fall weather in NE. The winter is definitely my least favorite season, as the cold is annoying, causes the gas bill to go up, and the snow is such a pain! Having to clear your car off in the morning, not being able to travel far, having to deal with all the terrible drivers on the road in rear wheel cars with no snow tires - none of those are pleasant! Add in the seemingly gray, brown & white scenery for months on end, who wouldn't prefer greenery everywhere, blue skies, and the beautiful array of colors from flowers?!?

Is it May yet?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I'm a winter person!  I, too, love bundling up and hunkering down.  The last few winters have been a doozy in the North East, but this year has been very tame.   Which only makes me long for a snowed in weekend, sitting in front of the fire with a great book and mug of tea.  Although, I would never turn down the opportunity to head some place warm for an large dose of vitamin D and flip flops!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...